Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
What is the next step up from hobbywing XR10 just stock esc >

What is the next step up from hobbywing XR10 just stock esc

Like Tree6Likes

What is the next step up from hobbywing XR10 just stock esc

Old 04-01-2022, 12:37 AM
Tech Initiate

So even if I managed to get the XR10 pro stock spec v4 id need to spend another $65 on a wifi wireless thing to program it?
Old 04-01-2022, 04:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sroking
So even if I managed to get the XR10 pro stock spec v4 id need to spend another $65 on a wifi wireless thing to program it?
Not necessarily. You can program it with the set button, but it is more complicated. They also make a program box that is about half the price that you can use to program it. Or, you can buy the modules which come up from time to time used. They work fine without programming the extra features. It just gives more adjustability down the road.
Old 04-01-2022, 04:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yes, you'd need either the somewhat expensive wireless adapter or the classic programming card (for half the money) to program the ESCs. Usually it's a good investment, especially if you end up with more than one HW ESC. For just one, the price is somewhat steep, I agree.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 04-01-2022, 05:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Silverbullet555
Not necessarily. You can program it with the set button, but it is more complicated. They also make a program box that is about half the price that you can use to program it. Or, you can buy the modules which come up from time to time used. They work fine without programming the extra features. It just gives more adjustability down the road.
Programming via the set button isn't supported on the XR10 Stock Spec. You need either the LCD programming box or one of the wireless modules.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Im just going to buy the 59.99 esc and have fun. Winning is consistency more than anything else I think.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 04-01-2022, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

Honestly I'd get the pro. Its way better than the difference in price suggests, if only for the increase in punch and rpm like I said in my last post. I personally drove a friends car with it and couldn't clear a jump. Swap escs and boom power problem solved.

Eventually when you want to tweak things Im sure you'll be able to find someone with a programmer or youll want your own by then.

just stock = a cheap limited esc, while the stock pro can grow with you
Old 04-01-2022, 04:19 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Alexv2024
Honestly I'd get the pro. Its way better than the difference in price suggests, if only for the increase in punch and rpm like I said in my last post. I personally drove a friends car with it and couldn't clear a jump. Swap escs and boom power problem solved.

Eventually when you want to tweak things Im sure you'll be able to find someone with a programmer or youll want your own by then.

just stock = a cheap limited esc, while the stock pro can grow with you
You're going to need to adjust the basics from the get go. I've never noticed a difference in punch between my Justock and Stock Spec, just a slight difference in smoothness and brake strength. The Stock Spec plus program card is significantly more expensive.
Old 04-02-2022, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

It wasn't just the punch though, it was like the esc limited the max RPM. Like amp rating and max rpm was 80-90% of a nicer esc.

Brand new low IR battery, Trinity X factor with correct gearing and it couldn't make a triple unless I drove it. I tried someone else's car with the same motor and could flat land past the same jump.

Swapped to a better esc and changed nothing else and it was fixed. And yes the esc was calibrated. The difference free revving was obvious.
waitwhat likes this.
Old 04-02-2022, 09:16 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Alexv2024
It wasn't just the punch though, it was like the esc limited the max RPM. Like amp rating and max rpm was 80-90% of a nicer esc.

Brand new low IR battery, Trinity X factor with correct gearing and it couldn't make a triple unless I drove it. I tried someone else's car with the same motor and could flat land past the same jump.

Swapped to a better esc and changed nothing else and it was fixed. And yes the esc was calibrated. The difference free revving was obvious.
I've got both ESCs and free revving they have identical RPM. The only way the stock spec would give higher no load RPM is if it had boost/turbo enabled.
Old 04-03-2022, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gigaplex
I've got both ESCs and free revving they have identical RPM. The only way the stock spec would give higher no load RPM is if it had boost/turbo enabled.
Well my friend gave me the esc. Maybe I'll pick up a cheap programmer and mess with it in a basher/fun car. Since that seems to be the key to it being not crap.

Still makes the pro a better initial purchase, and either a programmer later or use a friends.
Old 04-04-2022, 08:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Alexv2024. Was the Justock the newest version with reverse polarity protection? Have been told they lack some power by someone running it back to back with the original.
Old 04-05-2022, 12:59 AM
Tech Champion

I've got both the new G3 version (reverse polarity) and the previous model Justocks and they both perform the same.
Old 04-05-2022, 12:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

My just stock broke 3weeks after buying it I bought the pro at the track and pro is definitely smoother.
Sent the just stock in for warranty they sent a new one back so there warranty was good they couldn’t figure out why the old one died but still blamed me lol saying bricked during firmware update or I overpowered it they could not say which. So not great customer service as just guessing why it’s bad and blaming the customer is just what.
Old 04-06-2022, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If your local club doesn't require you to prove that you don't have timing in the ESC ("blinky" mode), the Hobbywing Quicrun 10BL160 will work for a cheap option. You can set the timing to zero in the ESC, but it doesn't blink so you can't prove to the other racers/race director if they want proof.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywi...125000/p707263
DirkW likes this.
Old 04-08-2022, 01:02 AM
Regional Moderator

not sure if you need to stay with the hobbywing family, but Orca Blinky Pro is an nice option. 100A limit and you dont need to use a program card to program it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.