Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
iSDT K4 charger and Storage Mode >

iSDT K4 charger and Storage Mode

iSDT K4 charger and Storage Mode

Old 12-28-2021, 02:55 PM
Tech Regular

Default iSDT K4 charger and Storage Mode

I just purchased an iSDT K4 charger. I notice when I charge using the Storage mode to 3.8V. It takes a very long time to finish. I can see the voltage reaches 3.79-3.8...than back to 3.79, than to 3.8 again. And the charge current drops to 1 or 2AMP. It seems to be doing some kind of balancing. The process seem to take a very long time. Is this normal?

My last charger is the Cellpro 10S. The storage mode on it is very quick. It charges right up to 3.85V and stops....
Old 12-28-2021, 04:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Not familiar with that charger and the manual is only 4 pages of basic information online. Sounds like its balancing but it might still be discharging as well while trying to keep the cells close to each other - hence why its taking forever. There might be a voltage threshold that you can raise to speed it up (i.e. instead of a .01 volts between two cells maybe go .05).

Different charger but page 14 talks about voltage thresholds and the effect on duration in charging. I would think your charger has something similar.
http://www.jun-si.com/UploadFiles/X6_Manual_preview.pdf
Old 12-30-2021, 12:47 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the reply. The threshold setting would explain why its taking so long. I tried to look in all the setting but couldn't find it....the online manual hardly have any explanation on the charger.
Old 12-30-2021, 04:32 AM
Tech Elite

My ISDT K2 never "stops" the storage mode, so it fluctuates in the same way if you leave the pack attached.

When it reaches the storage voltage it beeps and the display changes slightly (can't remember exactly what it does) - it's then safe to remove the battery from the charger.

The K4 may be similar.
Old 12-31-2021, 06:46 AM
Tech Elite

Couple of snaps of the K2 storage mode, in progress is purple with a house symbol. Done is blue with a tick, but it still shows a current as it is always correcting the charge level.

I suppose it's intended for keeping cells permanently stored with a charger, although I don't know of anyone in the RC hobby that actually does that.
Old 12-31-2021, 01:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sosidge

Couple of snaps of the K2 storage mode, in progress is purple with a house symbol. Done is blue with a tick, but it still shows a current as it is always correcting the charge level.

I suppose it's intended for keeping cells permanently stored with a charger, although I don't know of anyone in the RC hobby that actually does that.
Exactly what my ISDT does as well. When storage is done, the fan sometimes stays on as well as some sort of trickle charge.

I would start to worry more if the lipo wouldn't stop balance charging, could be a sign of high IR as some chargers can't terminate and balance for hours.
Old 12-31-2021, 11:18 PM
Tech Regular

Looks like the K2 and K4 does the same thing on storage mode. It reminds me of the old Nicad days of trickle charging when charging is done, lol. BTW, I found a selection in the System Menu where you can select Trickle on or off. I will try that and see if it stops trickling completely
Old 01-01-2022, 12:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chumanji
Looks like the K2 and K4 does the same thing on storage mode. It reminds me of the old Nicad days of trickle charging when charging is done, lol. BTW, I found a selection in the System Menu where you can select Trickle on or off. I will try that and see if it stops trickling completely
On the K2 it only stops trickle on the charge mode.

Last edited by sosidge; 01-01-2022 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-03-2022, 10:02 PM
Tech Regular

On my K4. I found out that is you press both center button and go into system setting. There is an option to turn off trickle charge. With that "off". It stop charging on trickle in storage mode.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Default K4 Trickle Charge On By Default

Originally Posted by chumanji
On my K4. I found out that is you press both center button and go into system setting. There is an option to turn off trickle charge. With that "off". It stop charging on trickle in storage mode.
Yep. RTFM. The K4 manual states, "After charging is complete, choose whether to continue trickle charging. The trickle charge function is enabled to maintain the lithium battery voltage in a fully charged state, this function is enabled by default."
Old 04-28-2022, 05:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Default ISDT K4 update bluetooth Conundrum?

Anyone with a K4 figure out the charger update process? The app. Doesn't work to update. I contacted progressive RC to inquire what I could do to resolve this issue. Their response was to by pass bluetooth and update with a pc and data cable. But there is no individual file to use to update. Progressive did not explain how you use a pc to update without a file? So at this point my K4 charger is froze up on updating mode? At the very least, does anyone know how to reset back to charging mode without the phone app. capability ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks