Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
lipo jack up should I use it? >

lipo jack up should I use it?

Like Tree3Likes

lipo jack up should I use it?

Old 10-29-2021, 05:16 PM
  #1  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
motorXhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 117
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default lipo jack up should I use it?

So I bought a new protek 5600 4s last weekend and I guess the balancing circuitry inside it got messed up. It only shows 2 cells on my icharger. Some people says that it's ok to charge it still and that they don't even balance charge their batteries.

I am usually the safest one at the track when it comes to lipo's so I'm not sure of I should try it?

Thoughts?

TIA
motorXhead is offline  
Old 10-29-2021, 05:32 PM
  #2  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Cavi Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: PDX
Posts: 116
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Anyone that says they donít balance charge their batteries is either a total moron or is simply trolling you. LiPo batteries cannot ďabsorbĒ extra charge like other batteries, they WILL overcharge and the results are disastrous. You need to repair the broken connections inside.

How your charger is even detecting that as a 2S in the first place is also a mystery to me - that must be the lowest quality budget piece of trash charger ever made and you should seriously consider throwing it away.
Cavi Mike is offline  
Old 10-29-2021, 05:52 PM
  #3  
Tech Champion
 
Sir 51D3WAYS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Stuck in urban hell
Posts: 6,208
Default

Seeing that it's a new battery, I'd suggest that you return it for exchange it for another new one....
gigaplex likes this.
Sir 51D3WAYS is offline  
Old 10-29-2021, 05:56 PM
  #4  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Cavi Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: PDX
Posts: 116
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I just re-read your post and noticed you said you have an iCharger - thereís no way itís detecting a 4S as a 2S. Period. It would immediately alarm out. Show a picture of the battery you have because Iím more inclined to believe you bought a 2S battery.
Cavi Mike is offline  
Old 10-29-2021, 06:17 PM
  #5  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
motorXhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 117
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
I just re-read your post and noticed you said you have an iCharger - thereís no way itís detecting a 4S as a 2S. Period. It would immediately alarm out. Show a picture of the battery you have because Iím more inclined to believe you bought a 2S battery.
I know the difference between 2s, 3s, 4s etc I have many cars/batteries. It's something defective in the battery.
motorXhead is offline  
Old 10-29-2021, 06:27 PM
  #6  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Cavi Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: PDX
Posts: 116
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Thatís not gonna charge like that. The charger will alarm out.
gigaplex likes this.
Cavi Mike is offline  
Old 10-29-2021, 09:55 PM
  #7  
Tech Master
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,639
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Reach out to protek. With a proof of purchase, I bet they will take care of it.
Silverbullet555 is offline  
Old 10-30-2021, 06:09 AM
  #8  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 4,994
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by motorXhead View Post
I know the difference between 2s, 3s, 4s etc I have many cars/batteries. It's something defective in the battery.
If you plug in the main power connectors the charger will throw an error and refuse to charge.
gigaplex is online now  
Old 10-30-2021, 07:46 PM
  #9  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (33)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin,TX
Posts: 5,874
Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)
Default

Many years ago I had a generic charger that I got from HobbyKing that would let me charge my batteries in regular LiPo mode without the balance harness connected. I discovered that I could drastically reduce my charge times because this bypassed the CCCV cycle. This came in VERY handy to get my packs charged on 10A.

Not sure how or if an iCharger will let you charge without a balance port but I charge my packs at 40A now and that's with the CCCV averaging about 10-15 min to charge between 5 min quals so I don't have a need to charge without balancing nowadays.

In my experience, I never had a single cell go farther than 0.07V when charging without balancing and this didn't seem to effect the longevity of my packs based on my observations, though I wouldn't recommend this technique today, especially if you're using a high rate charger.
billdelong is offline  
Old 11-01-2021, 04:22 PM
  #10  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 4,994
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
Many years ago I had a generic charger that I got from HobbyKing that would let me charge my batteries in regular LiPo mode without the balance harness connected. I discovered that I could drastically reduce my charge times because this bypassed the CCCV cycle. This came in VERY handy to get my packs charged on 10A.

Not sure how or if an iCharger will let you charge without a balance port but I charge my packs at 40A now and that's with the CCCV averaging about 10-15 min to charge between 5 min quals so I don't have a need to charge without balancing nowadays.

In my experience, I never had a single cell go farther than 0.07V when charging without balancing and this didn't seem to effect the longevity of my packs based on my observations, though I wouldn't recommend this technique today, especially if you're using a high rate charger.
The 406 Duo will charge if there's no balance connector. It just won't balance.
gigaplex is online now  
Old 11-01-2021, 04:29 PM
  #11  
Tech Elite
 
the rc guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Detroit
Posts: 3,376
Default

so battery has a bms on it.. id say the balance wires are broken at pack. fix or dispose..what main wires voltage?
gigaplex likes this.
the rc guy is offline  
Old 11-02-2021, 04:14 AM
  #12  
Tech Lord
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 11,207
Default

These packs have no BMS. So yes, it is important to connect the main power leads together with the balancer plug. Dit you plug in the balander plug in the right position?
Roelof is offline  
Old 11-02-2021, 06:32 AM
  #13  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
DirkW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,870
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Dit you plug in the balander plug in the right position?
Judging by the picture, he plugged the balancer correctly.
I'd still connect the main charging cables as well and see what happens then.
DirkW is offline  
Old 11-02-2021, 09:41 PM
  #14  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: MN, USA
Posts: 272
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Did you clip the connection on the charger? You shouldn’t be able to plug a 4S lead into the 6/8S balancing port unless you modified it. What happens if you use a balance board?
Cromulent is offline  
Old 11-04-2021, 03:14 PM
  #15  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
motorXhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 117
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by DirkW View Post
Judging by the picture, he plugged the balancer correctly.
I'd still connect the main charging cables as well and see what happens then.
I had the main charging cables in before and it was the same thing.

Originally Posted by Cromulent View Post
Did you clip the connection on the charger? You shouldnít be able to plug a 4S lead into the 6/8S balancing port unless you modified it. What happens if you use a balance board?
Yes I clipped it. Didn't bother with a balance board. Trying to limit messing up anything else. I try one today.

One thing to add, the battery did smell like burnt electronics.
motorXhead is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.