Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Li-Ion Battery with 20C okay for 1/10 Buggy? >

Li-Ion Battery with 20C okay for 1/10 Buggy?

Li-Ion Battery with 20C okay for 1/10 Buggy?

Old 07-14-2021, 02:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Li-Ion Battery with 20C okay for 1/10 Buggy?

Hello all,

I've only recently become involved with RC models and have a few questions for the experts among us.

But first, the framework:
I bought an older Team Associated B44 - brushed motor, of course without batteries.
Unfortunately the B44 has a very strange layout concerning the battery. This means that there is a battery mount directly in front of the rear axle on each side of the vehicle. The B44 is therefore designed for saddle pack batteries. So far so good.
Since I don't want to spend a lot of money for my newly discovered hobby, I ordered two battery packs (7.4 V, matching in size) on eBay. The goal is to connect them in parallel (I'm also thinking about the balancers, so don't worry). Voltage remains the same, capacity adds up. So from 2*2000 mAh I get a decent battery of 4000 mAh in saddle pack form.

Now to my problem:
Instead of two Lipo batteries, I got Li-Ion battery packs (based on 18650s). In itself no problem. But unfortunately these batteries have only 20C.

My questions to you:
Is 20C enough to move my B44 as it should? If I am not mistaken, the two batteries do not add up to 40C when connected in parallel, correct? And another question: To which voltage should I discharge Li-Ion batteries?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 07-26-2021, 06:21 AM
Tech Lord

Li-Ion cells of 20C??????
The high current cell I have seen can handle about 30A and so based on their capacity it is about 12C....
They can handle a 1/10 buggy but only with some simple stock motor, no fancy low turns brushed or brushless.