Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
I want a new Electric Screwdriver/Driver for RC wrenching, what should I get? >

I want a new Electric Screwdriver/Driver for RC wrenching, what should I get?

Like Tree26Likes

I want a new Electric Screwdriver/Driver for RC wrenching, what should I get?

Old 05-02-2021, 11:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yup that's the one, thanks for posting the video.
Old 04-01-2022, 01:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ive been looking into screwdrivers a lot lately.

I picked up an Arrowmax unit because it had a nice fairly useful bit set :
Amazon Amazon

but Id really like another screwdriver format driver with more power. (I think the Arrowmax is overrated. Havent verified with torques testing yet though)But was smaller than the Hitachi/Metabo.

The Wiha SpeedE 2 seemed like a good choice and Ive seen it do what I need it to, but it uses unique 6mm hex driver bits instead of the more common 1/4"

The Vessel 220USB seems like its worth a shot as it( and Panasonic EY7412) appears to be what Muchmore and all the other Chinese clones were copying, and I really like my Vessel manual drivers. The Panasonic cheapest Ive found is $80US shipped.
Vessel:
Amazon Amazon

A Panasonic clone that claims 5nm torque:
Amazon Amazon

Too many choices and too many Chinese "brands".
Old 04-01-2022, 06:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallacengineeri
Eh? Where are you getting that from? By that logic modern brushless RC cars would be slower than older brushed ones. Ive never heard of a brushed motor running at 50K RPM and if you did run one that fast those brushes would last about 10 minutes.

50K RPM on a modern brushless motor is standard, everyday. Some of them are capable of 100K RPM.

Theres also the matter of rock crawlers. Many rock crawlers prefer brushed motors over even modern sensored brushless technology. I know podium placers of local championships held in Moab, UT that use brushed motors. Why? They always tell me - low-speed control and rediculous torque.

And all of this makes sense - the brushes make physical contact with the rotor. While the friction slows the rotor speed a bit, the direct physical shot of electricity is very strong.

I mean the Metabo Brushless and Brushed Drill/Drivers use the same gearbox. The gearing hasn't changed at all. And yet the brushless motor has upped the RPM by about 30%.
I'm very late responding to this, but the transition from brushed to brushless for stock RC motors made this clear. FDR had to drop big time with brushless. Fixed gearing classes like mini either went slower on a comparable brushless, or in Australia we went with a much more powerful brushless just to match the RPM. 50k RPM is modified motor territory.

Brushed motors do have better low speed control due to the physical commutation. But brushless generally have more torque. Too much torque without control will just break traction on a crawler.
Maven likes this.
Old 04-02-2022, 08:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I've got a 30 year old AEG EZ Driver, which became the Panasonic EZxxx and eventually the Hitachi/Metabo version today. It's still running just fine. Has lots of torque with the 2 speed transmission. And it's best feature is the low slipper clutch, which is great for screws in softer plastics. In forward, mine has variable speeds, maybe 3, but I rarely use anything other than full power with the slipper.

It's been my go to power screwdriver in RC for over 10 years. The only time I grab another is when the battery is charging.
Old 04-02-2022, 09:21 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gigaplex
I'm very late responding to this, but the transition from brushed to brushless for stock RC motors made this clear. FDR had to drop big time with brushless. Fixed gearing classes like mini either went slower on a comparable brushless, or in Australia we went with a much more powerful brushless just to match the RPM. 50k RPM is modified motor territory.

Brushed motors do have better low speed control due to the physical commutation. But brushless generally have more torque. Too much torque without control will just break traction on a crawler.
Yeah 50k rpm is a huge stretch for a lot of motors on the market. Even on 4S your still talking about probably 13.5 if not a 10.5 to exceed 50k rpm. And thats on 4S. A voltage brushed motors werent raced with. I dont remember seeing many 12cell buggies back in the day
Old 04-02-2022, 09:48 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Maven
Yeah 50k rpm is a huge stretch for a lot of motors on the market. Even on 4S your still talking about probably 13.5 if not a 10.5 to exceed 50k rpm. And thats on 4S. A voltage brushed motors werent raced with. I dont remember seeing many 12cell buggies back in the day
It explains the limited knowledge of the guy, mainly I do see that with many bashers who talk like all knowing guys that they actually have no idea what they are talking about.
Old 11-16-2023, 03:36 PM
Tech Adept

Does anyone know what's a good minimum torque rating to go for?
I see some drivers being listed as "for drones" which implies M2 or M3 going into plastic, but they're still ~0.5 Nm of torque.
When I tried it, it was enough to spin my entire chassis around so that's enough to strip it easy I think,
Old 11-16-2023, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm not sure, but whatever the NM of "snug" and "that's about right" is what a lot of us go by. LOL.....
Old 11-16-2023, 11:31 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Xtracrispy
Does anyone know what's a good minimum torque rating to go for?
I see some drivers being listed as "for drones" which implies M2 or M3 going into plastic, but they're still ~0.5 Nm of torque.
When I tried it, it was enough to spin my entire chassis around so that's enough to strip it easy I think,
These torque lists can be found on the internet. Like Metric Bolts, Screws & Nuts: Tightening Torques (fastenermart.com)
Old 11-17-2023, 12:37 AM
Tech Adept

Best ones I used so far:

For 1/8th scale Bosch Go 2 (It has adjustible clutch settings)

For 1/10th and general use Hyundai HYBSD36 ( I believe it's the same as Muchmore USB Screwdriver)

Old 11-18-2023, 12:36 AM
Tech Regular

Makita 7.2V 8Nm Rechargeable Pen Impact Driver Drill Body Only Black DF012DZB is my recommendation. It has adjustable clutch and two speeds. Super comfortable to hold. Plus an LED light.
Old 11-20-2023, 10:32 AM
Tech Adept

For a common M3 screw in RC, I think ~0.2Nm is about the right torque.
This is based on a Dremel electric screwdriver I use that actually lists their lowest clutch setting, and it slips before any damage is done.

That thing is close to being a perfect RC driver, except for 2 things to me:
- no bit holding chuck, so the it keeps coming out if you use a snug tip like MIP on a new screw
- it automatically turns on if you push in. Annoying misfires.

Old 11-21-2023, 06:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Wrenching

Without question I have been using the Hitachi 3.6v brushed one. Has the softest clutch and 2 speeds. Working on 8th and or 10th off-road.

Certainly poor plastics can’t be helped.
Old 11-21-2023, 01:07 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Mugen2024
Without question I have been using the Hitachi 3.6v brushed one. Has the softest clutch and 2 speeds. Working on 8th and or 10th off-road.

Certainly poor plastics can’t be helped.
I have a Hitachi as well. I can set the clutch loose enough that it won't even turn a screw in to new plastic. I've never had a problem stripping a screw with this driver. Do I send the screw all the way in with it? Nope. You gotta have trigger discipline to stop just before the clutch slips and then snug it up with a hand driver.
Old 11-21-2023, 06:06 PM
Tech Rookie

100%
The tool is only as good as its user.
I bought the brushless Makita one that’s 7.4v and the clutch is t good at all. It strips a lot of things out on the softest clutch,
That’s why at 3.7v it’s a mint deal.
As for the Milwaukee one at 4v I wanted one but not sure it’s worth the investment since it’s not sold in Australia. So it’s a big expense if the clutch isn’t soft enough.

So I think there is a Panasonic one but I used it once and it feels horrible in the hand

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.