Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
I want a new Electric Screwdriver/Driver for RC wrenching, what should I get? >

I want a new Electric Screwdriver/Driver for RC wrenching, what should I get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

I want a new Electric Screwdriver/Driver for RC wrenching, what should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 07:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lowspark
I'm on my second one in twenty years... works like a champ... not the cheapest, but one of the best imo.
this is what i have, i just love this panasonic, to the extent that i have red, blue, black, white, white with a screws counter,
Old 04-15-2021, 07:37 AM
Tech Champion

I use a simple Ryobi with MIP bits.

Only for disassembly and nutted assembly. I avoid using it to thread into plastic.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So guys, I may have found a possible 12V tool that can do it all, and it comes from Metabo, the brand I specified in the OP. So here is the thing - the model number I specified in the OP is the modern, brushless, LiHD (21700 cells) kit version of the tool. It was actually the first Lithium 12V tool in the world to use more powerful 21700 cells which is why it beats the competition including Milwaukee in speed and power as shown in this test:
So then I wondered, what if instead of going for the most modern thing and hoping the modern technology improvements can do what I want, why not see if they still sell an older brushed version of the tool, because we all know that brushed motors spin slower and have better low speed control. As it turns out, it was a very good idea to look into this...

So Metabo still produces and sells the older brushed model of the exact same tool with the older, standard, less powerful Li-Ion battery. The modern brushless model does 0-450 RPM in 1st gear, while the older brushed model does 0-360 RPM in 1st gear. Whats more, the older brushed model has a fair bit less torque output yet uses the same exact clutch with a full 21 settings.

The biggest bonus is the price. These modern brushless 12V Multi-Head tools are actually really expensive. The Milwaukee kit is $179 with 2 x 2AH Li-Ion batts and the Metabo upgraded LiHD kit with 2 x 4AH LiHD batts is $219. The older brushed model Metabo with 1 x 2AH Li-Ion batt is $129. Even better, I found a really good deal on this brushed kit at Ohio Power tool for $89.

Let me know what you guys think about this tool because its a hell of a deal for $89 and can do basically everything related to RC. Sure I may have to fasten the last bit of screws going into plastic by hand, but this may be the best overall compromise. It will have a lot more power and speed available than a basic 8V or 4V screwdriver as well should I need to drill through the chassis for some sort of heavy modification. However, It should also be a lot slower and have better low-speed/light trigger-pull control than the 12V Milwaukee Fuel tool I once tried, plus it is a lot cheaper. https://www.metabo.com/us/enus/tools...rewdriver.html

Old 04-16-2021, 12:43 AM
Tech Regular

Too big.... I still struggle to understand how the tools most rc drivers are using are not good enough.

you don’t seem to be providing any better or new just slightly different variations of what is already used some better some worse.

If you’re this picky test a few tools yourself then return the ones that didn’t make the cut
gigaplex and hunterdawg like this.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by buggybattle
Too big.... I still struggle to understand how the tools most rc drivers are using are not good enough.

you don’t seem to be providing any better or new just slightly different variations of what is already used some better some worse.

If you’re this picky test a few tools yourself then return the ones that didn’t make the cut
The Brushed motor makes it entirety different. It was the tool they designed back before brushless, its an old, slow design thats a far cry from the new one. Its like comparing an entry level Rustler 2WD brushed to a 4X4 VXL. They may have the same name but they are completely different trucks.

The tool's physical design and size can't be that big of an issue. Maybe on a delicate mini scale below 1/10th but as of now Im actually using a 20V Impact Driver I use for other things, not really something I bought for RC. I mainly use it because right now I don't have any other power tools, or at least ones that work. I just pull the trigger gently and do the last bit of tightening by hand. I very rarely can't access a screw because of the length of the bit tips plus I have an extension. But in this case often times I can't use it at all because its just way too powerful and spins way too fast. It is a modern 20V Brushless Lithium Impact driver so if you think the Metabo is too big then the tool Im using now must be considered outrageous, and Im not surprised by that.

The only bummer with your idea is that Metabo isn't sold in normal stores. This isn't Metabo-HPT (Hitachi Power Tools). This is the REAL Metabo, the German one. They are like Milwaukee over in Europe, basically. Same level of quality, same tier, same brand recognition. What happened was Hitachi actually bought and became the parent company of Metabo and then later sold it and decided to combine the names like they were married or something, IDK its stupid and weird and makes no sense especially when Hitachi doesn't own them anymore. So in fact Metabo and Metabo-HPT are two entirety different power tool brands that have nothing to do with one another these days.

But the bummer is essentially if I try it, I can't return it, because Ill have to buy it online from across the country. Return shipping on such a big bulky box won't even be worth it, probably cost half of the price of the tool.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallacengineeri
because we all know that brushed motors spin slower
That's not really true. A comparable brushless motor usually has less RPM but more torque.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gigaplex
That's not really true. A comparable brushless motor usually has less RPM but more torque.
Eh? Where are you getting that from? By that logic modern brushless RC cars would be slower than older brushed ones. Ive never heard of a brushed motor running at 50K RPM and if you did run one that fast those brushes would last about 10 minutes.

50K RPM on a modern brushless motor is standard, everyday. Some of them are capable of 100K RPM.

Theres also the matter of rock crawlers. Many rock crawlers prefer brushed motors over even modern sensored brushless technology. I know podium placers of local championships held in Moab, UT that use brushed motors. Why? They always tell me - low-speed control and rediculous torque.

And all of this makes sense - the brushes make physical contact with the rotor. While the friction slows the rotor speed a bit, the direct physical shot of electricity is very strong.

I mean the Metabo Brushless and Brushed Drill/Drivers use the same gearbox. The gearing hasn't changed at all. And yet the brushless motor has upped the RPM by about 30%.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:37 AM
Tech Elite

Why do you want the Metabo branded one? The Hitachi branded one is sold world wide.
It's the perfect machine for RC wrenching, so I don't think you'll ever want to return it. If you go to big events, half the pits has a Hitachi on their table. I wouldn't be so populair if it was bad.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by morgoth
Why do you want the Metabo branded one? The Hitachi branded one is sold world wide.
It's the perfect machine for RC wrenching, so I don't think you'll ever want to return it. If you go to big events, half the pits has a Hitachi on their table. I wouldn't be so populair if it was bad.
I thought all hitachi was being sold as metabo hpt in North America?
Old 04-19-2021, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by purplegrape
Even ones with clutches I found will strip plastic

I used to use the slowest screwdriver I could find and only used it to pull screws out

going in was always by hand

---

every time I try to use an electric i end up stripping something or other

This takes lots of practice and a lose hand. The clutch doesn't work, so don't rely on it. I've been using drills on sensitive parts for about 20 years. I wouldn't recommend doing this though. I would only recommend using a drill to start it. Those who have built Kyosho kits know how hard this can be when doing it by hand.
hunterdawg likes this.
Old 04-24-2021, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Geezatec

Hilti too bulky. Screwdriver length fine with me. 12v is OVERKill. Dont need that much power for 3mm Philips or Allens. Dewalt Gyro Screwdriver work fine, Bought both Screwdrivers and gun confirguration w Chuck Clutch. A trick to use, but easy. Tools are good for the right application.
I have both as well I like the clutch gun configuration the best. the Trick is lowest torque setting that will get the screw in. Go Slow and then make final tightening by hand.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by morgoth

Originally Posted by ray4624
I thought all hitachi was being sold as metabo hpt in North America?
+1

I bought the Hitachi version just before it was discontinued and replaced with the Metabo label, they are identical and share the same lifetime warranty:
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

Old 04-26-2021, 11:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Check out Project Farm on Youtube, he just did a great wrap up of electric screwdrivers. Metabo does pretty well. That's what I'm using and I've been happy with it.

Would post link, but need more posts before I'm allowed.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Bicycle019
Check out Project Farm on Youtube, he just did a great wrap up of electric screwdrivers. Metabo does pretty well. That's what I'm using and I've been happy with it.

Would post link, but need more posts before I'm allowed.

nice find!

I think I found the video you're referencing here, glad to see that Metabo was the right choice for me as well

Last edited by billdelong; 04-27-2021 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-29-2021, 10:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I’m also very happy with the metabo. It has a great clutch, more like a slipper clutch. Many other tools have only an electronic torque limit which doesn’t work as well for screwing into delicate material like plastic. Also the second battery being included is great, charge when changing and never run out of battery power.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.