• 1 Post By biz77
  • 2 Post By trigger
  • 3 Post By tomkatn

outlaw motors

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 11:47 AM
Tech Adept

Default outlaw motors

So apparently, my local track allows for any motor as long as it's of the proper turn number.

In that case, is the best use of money to buy an outlaw motor, instead of a highly tuned or certified ROAR motor?

I've noticed that a bunch of the outlaws appear to be motors from the last generation.
Is the only thing needed to "make" a modern outlaw to swap out the rotor with a stronger version?
For example, Trinity sells a 13mm rotor that's compatible with their cans: https://www.teamtrinity.com/trinity-...d-tep1114.html

I assume that it'll result in higher torque but possible lower RPM. It just comes down to an overall power game then; does anyone know how much more peak power can be developed? Are we talking 10%, 20%, etc?

Finally, does the stator matter much or is it all about the rotor? I'm wondering if one can save a buck from an older last-gen motor, if a new rotor will be swapped in anyways.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:37 AM
Tech Champion

My understanding is outlaw motors have thicker wire in the stator, lower resistance and thus more amperage. As well as larger rotors.
Andy Koback and gigaplex like this.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Although the 1/10 turf program died off in my area since COVID and never returned, the Trinity Punisher was by far the most popular motor at the time. It would easily keep up with any expensive ROAR certified motor you could find and in many cases be a pinch more powerful, but you definitely needed to gear up to take advantage of the extra torque you got from the Punisher. I have no idea how much faster the Punisher was but it wasn't top speed, it was acceleration that was faster and really hard to give any accurate measurement other than seeing the difference in person and looking at lap times... I don't remember exactly how much faster, but I want to say my lap times dropped about 0.5sec/lap on a 22 sec hot lap.

Not only was acceleration faster, but braking was also improved with the Punisher so you could brake later and that's another variable to consider.
Andy Koback likes this.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

And bout half the price of a certified.
billdelong likes this.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

Just to bring this thread up to the top again ... rule change leaves me needing a good, economical 17.5, non ROAR approved is fine ... I have used the Trinity Punisher (13.5) a few years back, and was happy, so is the 17.5 version still a viable option, or is there a better/other 'budget' current offerings that I should be considering? .. thanks!
Old 12-09-2021, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

In addition to Trinity, Hobbywing has the Bandit series and Icon offers the Torque Outlaw motors.
tomkatn likes this.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

If the entire field is in agreement with the outlaw motors than easy answer. Run outlaw. But I feel if there are racers using legit approved motors. Than I would run legit. I believe winning on merit as opposed to equipment. Lots of guys at my local track charge their lihv to 8.7v and still can’t keep up with us guys charging to 8.4v. So driving is still a big part of the game.
tomkatn and Andy Koback like this.
Old 12-09-2021, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by trigger
If the entire field is in agreement with the outlaw motors than easy answer. Run outlaw. But I feel if there are racers using legit approved motors. Than I would run legit. I believe winning on merit as opposed to equipment. Lots of guys at my local track charge their lihv to 8.7v and still can’t keep up with us guys charging to 8.4v. So driving is still a big part of the game.
Thanks for your input ... however, I can pretty much guarantee that I won't be winning based on my 'outlaw' equipment .. nearly 70 years old, on a fixed income, reflexes diminished, and still run a 5 series based conversion in that class ... I just have to watch $$ spent, and still try to keep with the pack to be respectable running against those that do spend,, and with current equipment ... I guess I am just too ornery and refuse to quit ... just looking for best options in my situation ... thanks again!
Old 12-10-2021, 05:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by biz77
In addition to Trinity, Hobbywing has the Bandit series and Icon offers the Torque Outlaw motors.
Thanks for the tip... anyone have a reference between these for comparison? Or even back to original question, are the few years old 'outlaw' style still running strong with the current generation higher dollar offerings? ... again, looking 17.5 ... thank you!