Futaba 4PM random signal loss

Old 03-27-2021, 09:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Futaba 4PM random signal loss

Man, I'm at a loss.

3 month old 4PM
LiFe battery
I have had on and off again signal loss while racing. Car will go dead, come back on two seconds later.

1 time today, it did it at the bench and the receiver light turned red, then turned green again.

It seemed to be only with 1 car so I changed the receiver, still happened. Changed the motor, still happened. Changed the sensor wire, servo, etc. Still happened. Today, I changed the ESC and it went away.

Then it started on another car in the final qualifier today.

So, that's a total of 2 cars, 3 receivers, 3 batteries, 2 or 3 servos, 3 ESCs, 3 or 4 sensor wires.

One caveat is the times it started in the 2nd car, the transmitter battery was beeping for that race, but it made it to the end and it did it close to the drivers stand and further out.

I've finally decided it must be in the transmitter. I have a new 3PV that I am going to bind to and see if it goes away. Being intermittent makes it tough to diagnose.

Frustrated as hell!

Any other ideas before I send stuff back?
Old 03-27-2021, 10:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

So LiFe, hmm voltage 6.6v.? Have you tried the same type of battery
Have you tried running alternate battery types? Have you tried cleaning the connector pins on the transmitter

With my experience with electronics I tend to err on the cabling connections even at the board level and well beyond but to make a long story wind down, with the issues you so well described leads me to think the solder joints on the pcb terminal leads is cold and is making an ever so slight short/open. However this may not be the actual pin point of the fault, the other spot is the antenna pcb of the transmitter it can actually have cold or insufficient solder.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Juglenaut View Post
Have you tried running alternate battery types? Have you tried cleaning the connector pins on the transmitter

With my experience with electronics I tend to err on the cabling connections even at the board level and well beyond but to make a long story wind down, with the issues you so well described leads me to think the solder joints on the pcb terminal leads is cold and is making an ever so slight short/open. However this may not be the actual pin point of the fault, the other spot is the antenna pcb of the transmitter it can actually have cold or insufficient solder.
Aligns with sending it back and hoping they can locate something.

And, I don't think the transmitter is losing power completely as it wouldn't turn back on without me hitting the button.

A few more tidbits.

I've tried glitch busters to no avail.
Its done it in cars with motor fans and without.

Last edited by Silverbullet555; 03-28-2021 at 06:29 AM.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Are you running HV servos? Whats your setup. Not enough info.
Old 03-28-2021, 05:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan View Post
Are you running HV servos? Whats your setup. Not enough info.
Ran all day today with a different transmitter with no issues.

the servos in the affected vehicles have been protek 160t and 160 tbl on both 6V and 7.2V depending on the ESC. I have had the issue with 3 futaba receivers. A hobbywing justock, a hobbywing stock spec, 3 motors, 3 batteries. 4 sensor wires, a glitch buster, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Old 03-28-2021, 06:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It is possible that it is simply the transmitter voltage being too low
Old 03-28-2021, 09:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Shawn B View Post
It is possible that it is simply the transmitter voltage being too low
Except that it has done both fully charged and low. Though, I can't say it can't be that.
Old 03-29-2021, 01:52 AM
Tech Lord

Keep in mind that a battery is a chemical thing and a 2S battery has several solder joints. It is wise not to rule out the battery.
Silverbullet555 likes this.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Keep in mind that a battery is a chemical thing and a 2S battery has several solder joints. It is wise not to rule out the battery.
Yes by all means try another battery...
Old 03-29-2021, 07:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yep, the battery is a very possible cause. Also you didnít mention receiver models and although it is not likely to have more than one faulty,203/204 gf (e) are junk and also have many weird issues. At least some runs of them are and not sure if newer ones are corrected.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:55 AM
Tech Master

Yep, the battery is a very possible cause. Also you didnít mention receiver models and although it is not likely to have more than one faulty,203/204 gf (e) are junk and also have many weird issues. At least some runs of them are and not sure if newer ones are corrected.
Well definitely trying a different transmitter on the same receiver deduced to solve a majority of the issue where there is no more Ďproblems-VS-no problemsí.

Form a reduction standpoint why train this out.. the transmitter was swapped. I guess that solves the battery issue.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

Well definitely trying a different transmitter on the same receiver deduced to solve a majority of the issue where there is no more Ďproblems-VS-no problemsí.

Form a reduction standpoint why train this out.. the transmitter was swapped. I guess that solves the battery issue.
Yes by all means try another battery...
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
When I swapped transmitters, I put the LiFe pack from the 4pm into into the 3PV and ran it that there where everything went fine. That doesn't mean the issue isn't with the power delivery in the 4PM. I can put alkalines into the battery cradle for the 4pm and also see if there is a setting to make the radio beep at power up to let me know.

As far as receivers, it has happened with 2 or 3. At least 2 of them came from the same order which makes it reasonable to believe they came out of the same batch at the factory. I'd think swapping transmitters would eliminate them, but the power issues on the track are not consistent in the least so IDK. They are R304-SBE receivers.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Did you change the battery mode on the transmitter to LiFe when you installed the LiFe battery?
Old 03-29-2021, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mrreet2001 View Post
Did you change the battery mode on the transmitter to LiFe when you installed the LiFe battery?
Good question. I believe I did on the 4PM but I will go look. I did not on the 3PV.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:53 PM
Tech Master

Most of what I type must fall on blind eyes...

, check page 41

Glad to know, glad to know.. I think I am just going to be done for awhile whilst I walk into this forest.. need a map for one to find my way around here or a book of maps and a map of maps with a spare atlas.
Insane likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.