Search
Like Tree4Likes

Futaba 4PM random signal loss

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2022, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Justhandguns
One of the main problems for signal lost, especially when you start steering, is that modern high speed high voltage servos are drawing a lot of current from your receivers. Futaba receivers seem to be quite sensitive to it, even if you have options of high BEC voltage/current from your ESC. One way to rectify the problem is that add a servo capacitor or what people call the glitch busters to your receiver. It is not because your Futaba radio/receivers are faulty, it's just your servo. Your can try to buy a servo capacitor for a few dollars to see if it gets rid of your shut down problem.
Originally Posted by DynaMight
That wasnt the case for me, my previous Futaba transmitter used the exact same receivers (reason I went for the 4PM tbh). It never glitched once on the old transmitter, I even fitted the receiver that came with the 4PM (same model) and that cut out too. I've since gone back to my original transmitter and its never cut out since.
I don't thinkbthe voltage issue is as common as it used to be. Mine wasn't voltage either as I previously shared.
Old 04-04-2022, 09:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I run a 4PM and ran into some pretty insane “glitches” (for lack of a better word) on my second qualifier for a trophy race last Saturday. It was fine then I noticed my car wasn’t as responsive and then multiple times on the following lap it just drove dead straight into walls and would get stuck steering dead left, that type of thing. I’ve had this happen before but it’s been a few months since it’s last happened.

I’m not sure if anyone has tried this, but people in the pits recommended I try swapping out my sensor wire, as well as running the wire around my battery instead of under the battery in the channel. I also put in new batteries for my transmitted.

The issue didn’t come back for Q3 or my mains so hopefully this did the trick.
Old 04-04-2022, 09:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by b.j.a
I run a 4PM and ran into some pretty insane “glitches” (for lack of a better word) on my second qualifier for a trophy race last Saturday. It was fine then I noticed my car wasn’t as responsive and then multiple times on the following lap it just drove dead straight into walls and would get stuck steering dead left, that type of thing. I’ve had this happen before but it’s been a few months since it’s last happened.

I’m not sure if anyone has tried this, but people in the pits recommended I try swapping out my sensor wire, as well as running the wire around my battery instead of under the battery in the channel. I also put in new batteries for my transmitted.

The issue didn’t come back for Q3 or my mains so hopefully this did the trick.
Mine did the same types of things, I would do similar things like change the sensor cable and think I'd fixed it because it was fine for a few meetings but then it would come back, so I'd change something else. I run a few cars but most of my receivers are Futaba R202GF style receivers and these never glitched once, only the kit one (which I had two and both glitched) at one meeting I was so bummed as it glitched in a final after I'd literally bought a new ESC, Motor, Servo with all new wires, I fitted a Futaba R202GF receiver into the car and it never glitched after that.
Old 04-04-2022, 01:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Really? I'm running a R334SBS that's maybe 3 months old.
Old 04-04-2022, 02:56 PM
Tech Initiate

The R334SBS maybe different as its the super high response, I was using the kit R334SB.
Old 04-05-2022, 05:40 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have only used the R304SB & R304SB-E and have never had a dropout.
Old 04-06-2022, 05:57 AM
Tech Initiate

I am using mainly 2x R334SBS and a couple of S-FHSS R202GF and no problem in glitching, maybe I am lucky. I am also trying one CORONA C4SF-HV third party receiver to see.

Looks like that Futaba has some QC problem.
Old 04-16-2022, 02:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default 4PM Life Battery Voltage

I have a 4PM that I just got a Muchmore 2300mah Life battery for. I charged it up on my Turnigy charger, set to Life mode @ 6.6v. When it was done charging... i put it in my TX... and it fired right up. However... my 4PM showed it as operating at 6.9v. This is my first Life battery, and I didn't know what to do...so I immediately turned off my TX to be safe. Is this normal for a Life battery? Is it bad for my battery or TX? Is there a setting on the 4pm I need to change to make the Life battery operate at a different voltage? My charger shows the battery @ 3.6v per cell which is also wierd to me. I double checked and I definitely DID correctly set it @ 6.6v so....
Old 04-18-2022, 01:53 AM
Tech Rookie

There is firmware update to 4pm. The latest is 5.03 with one improvement to radio communication enhancement.

Besides 4pm, Futaba also updated R334SB/R334SBS-E with 5.0 version.
The improvement is also a more stable radio communication.

Hope both firmware update helps.
Old 04-18-2022, 01:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by stranger0429
There is firmware update to 4pm. The latest is 5.03 with one improvement to radio communication enhancement.

Besides 4pm, Futaba also updated R334SB/R334SBS-E with 5.0 version.
The improvement is also a more stable radio communication.

Hope both firmware update helps.
The only problem is I don’t think we can update our receivers using the 4pm?
Old 04-19-2022, 11:28 PM
Tech Rookie

No, you need a 7PX or a USB dongle to update rx from a PC.
I borrowed a 7pxr from a friend to update my rx.
Old 04-21-2022, 06:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Fully charged Life battery will be 7.2v +/- .1v depending on the terminal voltage the charger uses for Life. What you saw is normal. 6.6v on a 2s Life battery is nominal voltage (ie voltage when half full).

Did you change the battery type on the transmitter to Life?
Old 04-24-2022, 08:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Futaba 4pm

Originally Posted by alpine9000
The only problem is I don’t think we can update our receivers using the 4pm?
look on Page 74 in Futaba manual, simple walk through. Get yourself a 32gb sd micro card. Download the 4pm zip file on to your computer to the sd card insert the sd card into the transmitter hold down END and turn on the POWER and it will automatically install update. I did the software update but haven’t tested the transmitter yet, hope this helps
MonkeyCmonkeyDo likes this.
Old 04-24-2022, 06:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Eddosi1978
look on Page 74 in Futaba manual, simple walk through. Get yourself a 32gb sd micro card. Download the 4pm zip file on to your computer to the sd card insert the sd card into the transmitter hold down END and turn on the POWER and it will automatically install update. I did the software update but haven’t tested the transmitter yet, hope this helps
You could upgrade 4pm via the SD card for sure. However it is impossible to upgrade 334 series rx via 4pm directly. Only 7px or 7pxr could do that. Maybe the lastest 10px could do it too.

Of course, it's definitely worthy a try to upgrade 4pm first and see how it works.
If not acceptable with 334 series rx, my advise is to ask a help from your club friend who has a 7px or 7pxr.
They could save the 334 rx firmware in the SD card and connect transmitter with 334 series rx via the futaba wire. In the setting menu of 7px/7pxr, you will find an option to upgrade rx firmware. Hope this helps.

p.s. i upgrade both my 4pm and r334sbs-e right out of the box. Therefore I don't have the chance to compare the signal performance before and after. Never experienced a lost signal with latest firmware.
Old 08-04-2022, 04:00 AM
Tech Rookie

I had lots of problems with signal drop out with my T4PM when I got it. Upgrading the firmware to 5.03 fixed it. I've been using the transmitter for a few months since upgrading and haven't had a single problem since. Before that I was getting at least a couple of drop outs every meeting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.