Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Servo slower on 2s lipo then 6v hump pack? >

Servo slower on 2s lipo then 6v hump pack?

Servo slower on 2s lipo then 6v hump pack?

Old 01-21-2021, 08:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Servo slower on 2s lipo then 6v hump pack?

Probably a stupid question, but why is my servo slower on a 2s lipo than a 6v hump pack? I thought servos run faster on 2s but it is noticeably slower, and ive checked the voltage and its at 8.4v hump packs at 7v. Is it my that my servo cant handle it? its one of those cheapy futaba s3003 servos, and i just tried it on a JRRACING z270 (another cheap servo) and it seems the same if not a bit slower, I also tried both a flysky fs gr3e reciever and an old futaba FP-R112JE reciever but doesn't seem to change. Not sure what the deal is any input??
Old 01-21-2021, 08:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Are you running any sort of voltage regulator or just straight of the 2s rx pack? Straight 2s voltage is probably higher than those servos can handle. I'd look into a regulator or a newer HV servo.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by anthonyscardina View Post
Are you running any sort of voltage regulator or just straight of the 2s rx pack? Straight 2s voltage is probably higher than those servos can handle. I'd look into a regulator or a newer HV servo.
No regulator just straight 2s lipo to the reciever, and thats kind of what i was thinking, but i had also heard of people bypassing the bec on escs (hotwireing the servo) to make those servos somewhat fast and i thought plugging a 2s into the rx would be kinda the same thing for a nitro. Would the regulator just regulate the voltage a 7v? And about how much do those cost vs a servo that can hande 2s
And thank you for the help greatly appreciated.

edit: is the regulator like one of those glitch buster things?
Old 01-22-2021, 04:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

A regulator would drop the voltage to a set level. Cheaper than a HV servo, that depends on what servo. I have some cheap servos that will handle 7.4v, not sure what's out there for cheap that will handle straight 2s though. Castle makes nice regulators that are adjustable even, but need their programmer to adjust them.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Can you confirm what the voltage is coming out of the Rx to the servo?

Old 01-22-2021, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 271 (100%+)

What's the speed/torque rated for this servo? Can't go any faster than it's made for.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have noticed the same thing with some of my older servos. If you are looking for faster/stronger then I would look at the some of the "high voltage" offerings. When I ran my nitro buggy, I would use a small 3S battery with a Castle BEC (the old first gen one - $30 ish back in the day) to power the electronics. That way I could set the BEC to output 7.4V to the receiver/servos and I would get the advertised performance out of the servos until the battery set off the low voltage alarm.

Yes it made a difference with a little faster steering and the braking on the throttle servo definitely felt stronger, but if you are already set up and running with a 2S or hump pack it's up to you if it is worth the effort. The buggy (old Ofna Ravager) needed all the help it could get in the steering and braking department as it was built like a tank, had a weight to match and I had a habit of running oversized engines. I don't know that I would do it if I got a newer one, and I haven't done it on my 1/10 scale.

Regulator is something that sets the output voltage (Castle BEC in the example above), but keep in mind that a regulator can only limit/reduce the output voltage it can't raise it. So if you run a 2S and set your regulator to 7.4V, you will get the 7.4V volts to the rx/servo until the battery voltage drops below that threshold. At that point you get whatever voltage your battery has and will get the equivalent reduced performance from the servos as their power supply decreases in voltage.

A glitch buster is a capacitor which would be used to help smooth out the power drawn by your electronics from your battery to avoid brownouts (if I remember correctly, only used one once on an old rock crawler). I don't think it would serve a purpose for what you are trying to do.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by NITROTENSCT View Post
I have noticed the same thing with some of my older servos. If you are looking for faster/stronger then I would look at the some of the "high voltage" offerings. When I ran my nitro buggy, I would use a small 3S battery with a Castle BEC (the old first gen one - $30 ish back in the day) to power the electronics. That way I could set the BEC to output 7.4V to the receiver/servos and I would get the advertised performance out of the servos until the battery set off the low voltage alarm.

Yes it made a difference with a little faster steering and the braking on the throttle servo definitely felt stronger, but if you are already set up and running with a 2S or hump pack it's up to you if it is worth the effort. The buggy (old Ofna Ravager) needed all the help it could get in the steering and braking department as it was built like a tank, had a weight to match and I had a habit of running oversized engines. I don't know that I would do it if I got a newer one, and I haven't done it on my 1/10 scale.

Regulator is something that sets the output voltage (Castle BEC in the example above), but keep in mind that a regulator can only limit/reduce the output voltage it can't raise it. So if you run a 2S and set your regulator to 7.4V, you will get the 7.4V volts to the rx/servo until the battery voltage drops below that threshold. At that point you get whatever voltage your battery has and will get the equivalent reduced performance from the servos as their power supply decreases in voltage.

A glitch buster is a capacitor which would be used to help smooth out the power drawn by your electronics from your battery to avoid brownouts (if I remember correctly, only used one once on an old rock crawler). I don't think it would serve a purpose for what you are trying to do.
I'll probably just wait on the regulator till i upgrade my servos in my losi, cause im already setup with hump pack, I was just digging through boxes of my stuff and found some old 850mah 2s lipos from some quadcopters and noticed they fit nicely in my rx battery box so i figured i might as well try them and also thought i could use them on another nitro project, so i did some experimenting on some cheap servos, thanks for the info on glitch buster vs regulator, ill have to look into some hv servos
thank you for the help and information.