Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Best NiMH charger in 2021 >

Best NiMH charger in 2021

Best NiMH charger in 2021

Old 01-15-2021, 06:09 AM
Tech Addict

Default Best NiMH charger in 2021

So one of the classes I race is quite retro in technology running brushed motors and 4cell NiMH. Whats the best charger I can get for this class, something with adjustable delta peak and possibly temperature sensing?

I had a fragile Spintec ICC back in the day along with an LRP Pulsar 3 but did anything better get released?

I'm already equalizing on a Novak Smart Tray and Trinity DPD so discharging is taken care of.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Just about all of the current charges today have multi-chemistry capabilities, just use what you have....
Old 01-15-2021, 09:03 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by KE4PJO View Post
Just about all of the current charges today have multi-chemistry capabilities, just use what you have....
They all haveDelta peak adjustment, Flex charging and temperature sensing? Cool. Not sure thats true. There's a huge difference between charging a battery and ''race charging'' a battery thats why $40 and $400 chargers existed back in the early 200s.

I do n't have any charger at the minute. I just wondered if there were better options than was was hot in 2008.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:20 AM
Tech Champion

But back in the days you had also selected, matched and pushed cells you do not have today.

The older pro chargers had even different charging programs, even in steps but I do nit think that the standard delta peak chargers today are worse. Otherwise you have to look for an older charger like: https://www.rcmodelscout.com/Batteri...TXP4170/330985
Old 01-15-2021, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

The New chargers of today do not have the same capabilities of older chargers. I have a Tekin bc 112 c with I think H28 programing and that charger has 3 different charging forms.. The Ice charger was a good alternative but it did have its fault like after many hundreds of charging cycle it would charge a battery at set amps then jump into recharging battery again when it was near full..Id look into if you have a older charger in your chargers ..or into a Futaba CDR5000 with all the extra cable or leds to monitor each cell and adjust that cell if needed. nothing I have seen or used was like that charger...lost mine in a car wreck..
Old 01-15-2021, 10:51 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by academygaz View Post
So one of the classes I race is quite retro in technology running brushed motors and 4cell NiMH. Whats the best charger I can get for this class, something with adjustable delta peak and possibly temperature sensing?

I had a fragile Spintec ICC back in the day along with an LRP Pulsar 3 but did anything better get released?

I'm already equalizing on a Novak Smart Tray and Trinity DPD so discharging is taken care of.
I always felt the Novak Millennium chargers or the Competition Electronics Turbo 35 GFX were the best for charging NIMH cells. Keeping them balanced, discharged to a specific voltage, warming them when charging and keeping them cycled every week kept them in pretty good shape. To be honest, any of the new chargers should be fine for charging, it's all in how you cycle/condition the cells.

Last edited by RCBuddha; 01-17-2021 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The interesting thing about nimh to me is that the cell constantly needs to be reformed regularly similar but not exactly the same as large high voltage (400+) Electrolytic capacitors.

The crystal formation in nimh seems more extreme and when attempting to reform there is a chance the cell may actually die on ya. Reforming is not the same as zapping.

The nimh cell actually does have a memory clause, charge it use it donít store it or leave it on or in the charger at full charge the nickel will crystalize and then the only way to awaken them is to do a zap and discharge. Always run a nimh to dump and store at around 50%.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Don't know if it covers all your needs, but you should look at the Hyperion line - used to charge Nicads and Nimhs with a 0606i and I know it has most of your options

https://hyperion-world.com/en/charge...erion-chargers
Old 01-18-2021, 01:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by academygaz View Post
They all haveDelta peak adjustment, Flex charging and temperature sensing? Cool. Not sure thats true. There's a huge difference between charging a battery and ''race charging'' a battery thats why $40 and $400 chargers existed back in the early 200s.

I do n't have any charger at the minute. I just wondered if there were better options than was was hot in 2008.
I've only been around the hobby for a short time, the middle 1980's, and you clearly know what you want. Why ask here? Do the research, like in the olden days before the "interweb". The best charger, ever, for Nicad, Nimh or any round cell for that matter is the Turbo 35, period. Find one...