Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Charging LiFe battery while in transmitter (4PM,3PM) >

Charging LiFe battery while in transmitter (4PM,3PM)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mrreet2001
  • 1 Post By Dave H

Charging LiFe battery while in transmitter (4PM,3PM)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 09:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Charging LiFe battery while in transmitter (4PM,3PV)

We have a couple futaba transmitters, specifically 3pv and 4pm. I aslo bought LiFe batteries for the transmitters. Can I leave the battery plugged into the transmitter and use the radio charger barrel plug and then just plug the balance connector into the balance board? Or, do I need to unplug it from the transmitter each time for charging?

Last edited by Silverbullet555; 01-11-2021 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 05:54 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I am not sure if it's "approved" on with my 4PM I charge the battery using only the balance port. I use this adapter: https://www.amainhobbies.com/tq-wire...qw2650/p702030
I turn off the transmitter and charge the battery without unplugging it.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mrreet2001
I am not sure if it's "approved" on with my 4PM I charge the battery using only the balance port. I use this adapter: https://www.amainhobbies.com/tq-wire...qw2650/p702030
I turn off the transmitter and charge the battery without unplugging it.
Maybe that is what I was supposed to do. I plugged the connector that goes from the radio into the charger using an adapter and then the balance plug into the balance board and charged it that way. It's a 3 wire balance plug so it has complete connection to the two cells independently and the other plug is perhaps redundant. The wire is all the same size so there are no current concerns.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:03 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Silverbullet555
Maybe that is what I was supposed to do. I plugged the connector that goes from the radio into the charger using an adapter and then the balance plug into the balance board and charged it that way. It's a 3 wire balance plug so it has complete connection to the two cells independently and the other plug is perhaps redundant. The wire is all the same size so there are no current concerns.
That was my thinking. I'm 100% sure it's safe to charge like this ... I just don't know if the battery needs to be unplugged from the transmitter.
Silverbullet555 likes this.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:59 AM
Tech Master

That was my thinking. I'm 100% sure it's safe to charge like this ... I just don't know if the battery needs to be unplugged from the transmitter.
At least I only wasted a few $ on the adapter. And, I can use it on receiver packs. I don't think it needs to be unplugged from the transmitter otherwise it wouldn't really serve a point. I'd certainly want it off though. Then again, what do I know.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:09 PM
Tech Champion

I'm sure it's not recommended somewhere, I know I'd hate to lose a nice transmitter to an odd charging mishap with a battery issue, as unlikely as it might be. But people do it all the time, including me, I think without much issue.

Barring a batt failure, the risk to the radio I think would only be if the charger pushed the battery voltage above what the radio could handle. But since lithium chargers are voltage controlled I wouldn't expect much issue. Back when using the nickel batteries the amp based charge voltage went much higher, still didn't seem to be an issue.
Silverbullet555 likes this.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

The charger we use at home won't charge through the balance port. Must be charger specific. We have an icharger as well and I'd guess it will charge through the balance port.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:29 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Silverbullet555
The charger we use at home won't charge through the balance port. Must be charger specific. We have an icharger as well and I'd guess it will charge through the balance port.
Are you using an adapter like the one I linked to, or are you just plugging in the balance port into the charger?
Old 01-14-2021, 09:18 AM
Tech Master

Are you using an adapter like the one I linked to, or are you just plugging in the balance port into the charger?
No. I just plugged into the balance port to see if it would charge and the Protek 610EZ gave me a connection error.

I have an adapter that runs from my charger to charge a receiver pack. If I plug that into the LiFe battery and plug the balance plug into the balance board, it charges and balances. I see how that adapter is a little different and I perhaps misunderstood "charging through the balance plug" vs "charging through the balance board".