• 3 Post By gigaplex
  • 1 Post By Bsthetech
  • 1 Post By gigaplex

XR10 Pro Stock Spec vs XR10 Pro G2

Old 01-06-2021, 07:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default XR10 Pro Stock Spec vs XR10 Pro G2

I run 17.5 & 21.5 on road touring cars. Have been using XR10 Pro Stock and other drivers keep saying to go up to Pro G2. The Stock Spec weighs about 50 grams less then the Pro G2 which makes it easy to balance the car, Is there any advantage to having more amps in the stock classes?
Old 01-07-2021, 06:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The word is you get better brakes when you move up in the HW series. You can get the elite which is the G2 without the switch and with smaller wires to save weight. You have to decide if better brakes will help you get into the corner better.

Since you already own the ESC, assess your driving to determine if that is where you need to focus. Or, are you crashing frequently.

If your races are really clean and better braking or ESC performance is a difference maker, you might feel it.

As an aside, if you didn't have the ESC already, I'd suggest just biting the bullet and getting a G2 or perhaps looking elsewhere. I have heard that the Maclan Pico 100 has better brakes, but I do not have personal experience with it.
RoyB, garnt and WJ9 like this.
Old 01-07-2021, 02:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Silverbullet555
The word is you get better brakes when you move up in the HW series. You can get the elite which is the G2 without the switch and with smaller wires to save weight. You have to decide if better brakes will help you get into the corner better.

Since you already own the ESC, assess your driving to determine if that is where you need to focus. Or, are you crashing frequently.

If your races are really clean and better braking or ESC performance is a difference maker, you might feel it.

As an aside, if you didn't have the ESC already, I'd suggest just biting the bullet and getting a G2 or perhaps looking elsewhere. I have heard that the Maclan Pico 100 has better brakes, but I do not have personal experience with it.
I race with few crashes. My main thing is that I am in my 70s and my reactions are slow. The stock specs brakes seem fine to me. The only benefit that I can see from the 160amps would be more acceleration or speed. It doesn't seem to me that would happen running 21.5 and 17.5 in no esc timing classes.
WJ9 likes this.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:51 PM
Tech Regular

If your brakes are fine, stick with what you’ve got
RoyB and Silverbullet555 like this.
Old 01-08-2021, 01:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RoyB
I run 17.5 & 21.5 on road touring cars. Have been using XR10 Pro Stock and other drivers keep saying to go up to Pro G2. The Stock Spec weighs about 50 grams less then the Pro G2 which makes it easy to balance the car, Is there any advantage to having more amps in the stock classes?
Stick with the pro stock - its an awesome ESC and is perfect for your application. There isn't any benefit in having "more amps" capability of the ESC in stock classes - what matters most here are your LIPOs and Motors (choice as well as how you prepare them for racing) and not the ESC Stock vs Pro G2.
You would only need to move up to the Pro G2 if you start running boosted classes or modified.
RoyB, glennhl and gigaplex like this.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:56 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I replaced my Pro G2 with a Pro-stock in my X-Ray touring car and didn’t notice any difference. I’m new, but the Pro-Stock ran great and has similar programming functions to the G2.
RoyB likes this.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RoyB
I race with few crashes. My main thing is that I am in my 70s and my reactions are slow. The stock specs brakes seem fine to me. The only benefit that I can see from the 160amps would be more acceleration or speed. It doesn't seem to me that would happen running 21.5 and 17.5 in no esc timing classes.
Higher amp rating on an ESC won't give you more speed. It's just a rating to determine whether it can survive high amp draw motors.
RoyB, glennhl and Bsthetech like this.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:54 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Forgot to mention one specific attribute of the Pro G2 that makes it great is that it has reverse polarity protection. If your car is wired so both connectors can reach both battery terminals you WILL eventually reverse them and smoke your ESC (usually in the heat of battle). The Pro G2 protects you from that. It’s saved my ass many times. Usually when I get bounced up a class and quickly need to swap out batteries.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:07 PM
Tech Regular

Elite is very very good

ran it for the first time today with a 7.5

can’t compare with the stock, but the G2 elite is very very good

Last edited by purplegrape; 01-10-2021 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bsthetech
Forgot to mention one specific attribute of the Pro G2 that makes it great is that it has reverse polarity protection. If your car is wired so both connectors can reach both battery terminals you WILL eventually reverse them and smoke your ESC (usually in the heat of battle). The Pro G2 protects you from that. It’s saved my ass many times. Usually when I get bounced up a class and quickly need to swap out batteries.
I didn't realize the stock spec or just stock did not have the protection. That's good to know.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bsthetech
It is indeed a great feature - mind you once you've blown up one expensive ESC by reversing polarity you don't do it again! We've all gotta earn that stripe once haven't we???
Old 01-11-2021, 10:05 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dan_vector
It is indeed a great feature - mind you once you've blown up one expensive ESC by reversing polarity you don't do it again! We've all gotta earn that stripe once haven't we???
All because of the lack of a 2 cent diode.
DBM likes this.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:05 PM
Tech Regular

Hope someone can answer the Pro Stock Spec vs the G2 ? OP posted

considering a Pro Stock Spec for my next 17.5
Old 01-14-2021, 07:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by purplegrape
Hope someone can answer the Pro Stock Spec vs the G2 ? OP posted

considering a Pro Stock Spec for my next 17.5
This whole thread is full of replies already. For 17.5 either will work fine. The brakes might be a bit stronger on the G2 but I've got my brakes turned down on both of them.
Jcharger13 likes this.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I run both and there is no difference when running a stock motor. The benefit of the 160amp g2 is that you can run a mod motor and I mainly like it for the reverse polarity protection.