Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Please advise - Futaba 3PK with Spectrum module for $60 vs newer Futaba T3PV for $80 >

Please advise - Futaba 3PK with Spectrum module for $60 vs newer Futaba T3PV for $80

Please advise - Futaba 3PK with Spectrum module for $60 vs newer Futaba T3PV for $80

Old 01-03-2021, 07:05 AM
Tech Adept

Default Please advise - Futaba 3PK with Spectrum module for $60 vs newer Futaba T3PV for $80

Hi!

I understand the comparison question comes up all the time but looking for some quick tips for this particular case- I need a radio to run a 1/12 pan car that i'm getting (i've been playing on the outskirts with 'toy' grade tamiya cars on and off over the year, so want to try something a bit more serious but looking to keep the budget low. I don't need the latest and greatest as i'll only very loosely show up at the track and have a spin and maybe enter a race and trundle around the back.

I have the chance to get either of the following used radios (both working well) -

option a) Futaba 3PK with Spektrum 2.4 AM1000 module for $60 total
vs
option b) Futaba T3PV + rx for $80

I understand the 3PK is old but i understand in it's day it was top of the line so i assume for a back of the grid bandit it's still more than enough (i don't need any fancy functions just a good working radio)

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2021, 08:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

The 3PK's have all you need and then some. I have (2) and love'm both!!!
Old 01-03-2021, 11:48 AM
Tech Lord

Leave the 3PK. The Spektrum set is something that will give glitches between all FHSS systems today and it will not be easy to find receivers whilt the 3PV is working with today's Futaba standards and easy to get receivers.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:18 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Roelof
Leave the 3PK. The Spektrum set is something that will give glitches between all FHSS systems today and it will not be easy to find receivers whilt the 3PV is working with today's Futaba standards and easy to get receivers.
thanks for the input. Do you mean the more modern radios at the rc track will cause the older 3Pk/ Spektrum to glitch or it'll just glitch as it's 10 year old tech (would this still happen using the normal rx module instead of the 2.4 spektrum (as it comes with both) - or is that also floored and not worth running that either?

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2021, 08:56 PM
Tech Adept

Also, to throw something else in the mix but i've found a KO Propo EX-10 Eurus which i can get for around $120. I'm fine to shell out a bit more if this radio really is a lot better than the other two mentioned. Any input would be brilliant??

Thanks!

Old 01-03-2021, 09:26 PM
Tech Elite

I once had a ex 10 er and loved it but module failed and that was that .. id go with a newer model radio allot more +s than a older model..
Old 01-03-2021, 10:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

One nice thing with the KO radio is that the receivers are way smaller than Futaba, which might be relevant for a 1/12 pan car.

If you can find a used Sanwa MT-S that is another great option with small receivers available.

Of the ones you’ve listed I’d still go for the 3PV if the receivers will fit where you need them to.
Old 01-04-2021, 01:32 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by mushroomed
Of the ones you’ve listed I’d still go for the 3PV if the receivers will fit where you need them to.
And most of all: the Futaba receivers easy to get.
All that old stuff is not compatible with current products so if the receiver of transmitter fails you will have a problem and higher costs.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:41 AM
elk
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

3PK and 3PKS owner chiming in...

Spring for the 3PV. The 3PK has a more logical user interface, but the FHSS receivers used by the 3PV are easily available and much more reliable than the old Spektrum module. The 3PV is lighter as well, and does not use a NiCad pack.
Old 01-04-2021, 07:18 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by elk
3PK and 3PKS owner chiming in...

Spring for the 3PV. The 3PK has a more logical user interface, but the FHSS receivers used by the 3PV are easily available and much more reliable than the old Spektrum module. The 3PV is lighter as well, and does not use a NiCad pack.

This is very sensible.. Many thanks to all the others who also gave input... You guys are very helpful to a noob (who has embarrassingly been a noob for abt 10 years now

Best!