Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree8Likes

Budget vs High Quality radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 04:25 PM
Tech Regular

Default Budget vs High Quality radio

Is it just response time and options for adjustments that differentiate them or is there more?

Old 12-18-2020, 04:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by purplegrape
Is it just response time and options for adjustments that differentiate them or is there more?
Both - budget radios might be 60-100hz refresh where moderate to high-end priced radios are 150-400hz so latency is huge but we are talking about 16 milliseconds to 3 milliseconds....on paper its huge but its hard to tell outside of maybe racing and I know I cant.

Ergonomics, features, model memory, built quality, etc are the bigger sales point to me and I think drives the price more then just the radio speed.
Sir 51D3WAYS, rustyus and garnt like this.
Old 12-19-2020, 01:41 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by sacmiata
Both - budget radios might be 60-100hz refresh where moderate to high-end priced radios are 150-400hz so latency is huge but we are talking about 16 milliseconds to 3 milliseconds....on paper its huge but its hard to tell outside of maybe racing and I know I cant.
The difference will only be noticed when running on tracks. For sure maken a switch on the same day you notice it with missing the Apex but finally with faster systems you will notice how predictable and precice you can steer the corners.

Another thing making the difference is the used protocols. Every brand has their own protocols with error corrections and with some cheap systems they can have little bugs giving unwanted reactions. Not that you have it all the time but if you are a good driver it can be noticed by missing the Apex from time to time.
Old 12-19-2020, 04:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Build quality is also noticeable. Most radios are Chinese made but you open up a Hitec or Futuba radio the wires are silicon covered, the soldering is clean and the plastics and circuit boards are decent. Open up a Flysky radio and you will see cheaper, brittle wires, messy solder ect.
Sir 51D3WAYS likes this.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

My lap times and consistency have always been a wash between a budget Radiolink system compared to Radiopost and KO Propo systems that I compared at the time. What was lacking on the Radiolink system was the ability to properly set the steering speed adjustment so I was forced to run a slower servo to make up for this shortcoming. Since I ran on high grip surfaces at the time this was a non issue. What I have found recently is that running on low grip conditions requires more fine tuning between brake strength and steering/throttle speed to get things right and the budget systems don't tend to perform these features as nicely as the higher quality systems.

I have tested (or owned) just about every brand on the market and currently I'm most impressed with the HITEC Lynx 4S, it performs every advertised feature flawlessly and is extremely easy to operate. There are some name brand systems which don't perform steering speed properly or are extremely difficult to make tuning adjustments where I'm almost always adjusting the steering speed as track conditions change throughout the day.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
The difference will only be noticed when running on tracks. For sure maken a switch on the same day you notice it with missing the Apex but finally with faster systems you will notice how predictable and precice you can steer the corners.

Another thing making the difference is the used protocols. Every brand has their own protocols with error corrections and with some cheap systems they can have little bugs giving unwanted reactions. Not that you have it all the time but if you are a good driver it can be noticed by missing the Apex from time to time.
I agree with this and even more so because I’m a beginner.
I swapped from a dx5c to an mt44 and was turning in early and clipping corners I had never hit before. For me I just wanted another radio so I could leave the dx5c at home for the bashers. The mid drop wheel is
Very comfortable to me as well.
Old 12-20-2020, 05:03 PM
Tech Adept

sometimes a product comes along that fits both of these, Flysky noble nb4 - dont be dumb - buy one !
Old 12-20-2020, 05:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Nice try... but no... it is not a Futaba, its not a Sanwa and it sure as heck isn't a KO!!! Like the saying goes, Cheap is not Good, and Good is not Cheap! Chose one, you can't have both!
Old 12-20-2020, 06:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
Like the saying goes, Cheap is not Good, and Good is not Cheap! Chose one, you can't have both!
Prefer the adage “performance/quality/cheap - pick 2”. But there are some good outliers out there that balances out the three some.
frewster likes this.
Old 12-20-2020, 07:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You can absolutely have all three. It just takes effort on your part to sort through what's being offered and find it.
Old 12-21-2020, 12:11 AM
Tech Lord

Fanboys........
Why is Sanwa so overhyped and Futaba taken down by the same persons? (the same war as many Apple fanboys make about Android)

I can not tell about the Noble but I do hear good stuff, it seems to support higher framerates up to 333Hz so that is a plus! But yes, Frysky has a name with cheap and decent working transmitters but also known to have some issues.......
Old 12-21-2020, 08:29 AM
Tech Addict

I have a habit of purchasing used gear. Especially when comes to radios. But this habit also allows me to have a taste in Ex1 , m12 for the price of a mid range radio. All these purchase taught me.one thing: im not a fast enough driver to notice the latency difference. But i can tell the difference between ergonomics and how the menu is set up. To me, these factors matters more than the pure latency time. Please notice that some resoonse time (mode) can only be activated when you are running your radio with servo or esc that supoorts the mode.

The important thing is, as long as you passed the mid level line up from a manufacturer. The resoonse time should be very similar within the same brand. High end gear will have extra adjustment options but you may or may not use it. And if not using it, the money you spent is just wasted.

As for the brands... Well, the two things i can say is, KO won't be your "bang for your buck" option. As long as it insisting on not supporting old protocols on its new radio, it stay as it is. Flysky's NB4 on the other hand, is a really good radio for the money you paid. Affordable receiver, fast left to right hand change ,colored touch screen, long battery life and decent latency . If you want a brand new radio rather than a used high end gear for under 200, NB4 should really be considered.

sacmiata likes this.

Last edited by zxcvb1t; 12-21-2020 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

How would you guys judge an older top end name brand model to the current Budget systems?

m11 2.4 vs radio link rc4gs?
Old 12-21-2020, 11:38 AM
Tech Regular

ooh... or the M11 2.4 compared to the MT-44 or 4PM?

(I'm running the same radio)
Solico likes this.
Old 12-21-2020, 12:39 PM
Tech Lord

I have the Futaba T4GRS and the T7XC

The T4GRS is as a midrange transmitter no bad transmitter but the feeling is more plastic. The menu is clear but an ugly screen, I even prefer the screen of my okder T3VCS. The transmitter feels light an in my sense too light. From that moment comming from a thick and heavy T3VCS I still need to get used to it.
The T7XC is as a top range transmitter very expensive but from a whole other planet. It feels better in the hands. It is more solid and has some weight. The color touch screen is an eye catcher and has an easy menu. The only disadvantage is that with the original NiMh battery it is out of balance.
Although the 7XC has the super fast SR mode, I do not like the high prices of the SR servo's with normal average specs so I use the SR mode set to normal digital servo's which is basically the T-FHSS mode with Telemetry switched off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.