R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Radio and Electronics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics-137/)
-   -   Smart Workshop Smart Tire Truer (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/1076824-smart-workshop-smart-tire-truer.html)

nikkip 12-05-2020 10:38 AM

Smart Workshop Smart Tire Truer

Hi Folks,
Not really sure if this is the best place to post this, so please excuse me if not. I'm looking for information on the Smart Workshop Smart Tire Truer, specifically on the issue with striped tires. I did reach out to the company and I received this reply, " Hello sir, thank you for interested in our product! We did not have dealer for the Smart Tire Truer in US at the moment, but you may directly purchase the product on our website. For the colour stripes tire scanning issues, this can fulfill with the Special Mode which able to set the starting point and the ending point for the cutting bit to run, so the stripes will not affect the sensors scanning." Can someone that has this truer confirm that this will take care of the issue? Also, any other info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Tom

Roelof 12-05-2020 11:35 AM

Sounds logical to me. So instead of an auto scan of the beginning and the ending of the tire you can do a manual input of the endpoints so auto scanning is disabled.

nikkip 12-05-2020 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 15723028)
Sounds logical to me. So instead of an auto scan of the beginning and the ending of the tire you can do a manual input of the endpoints so auto scanning is disabled.

I feel the same way, just looking for conformation and any other issues that it may have.

Roelof 12-05-2020 01:22 PM

You did get a conformation of the caompany, what more do you want?

nikkip 12-05-2020 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 15723065)
You did get a conformation of the caompany, what more do you want?

Why so hostile? I would like some real world user input. What a company is willing to tell a potential customer is sometimes what they want to hear. It's an $850.00 purchase and would like to be sure it's a good one. If you don't have one then your input is useless, please move on.

mike33 12-19-2020 03:06 AM

You still looking for answers? I have one coming, hopefully arriving on Monday.

nikkip 12-19-2020 08:12 AM

Hi Mike,
Thanks for reaching out to me, I really appreciate it. Yes I'm still trying to find out some answers before I buy. Of course the stripe issue, does the suggested workaround actually work? Although I mainly run 10th and 8th, I will use it for the winter months for indoor spec racing. How accurate are the cuts? How long has it been since you ordered and expected arrival date? I was told it come with the upgraded bit, you can confirm that. Once you receive it and get some hands on, I pick your brain a bit then. Thanks again and happy holidays.

mike33 12-19-2020 02:28 PM

I had asked the same question regarding the stripe issue a while back and got the same answer. There is a video that shows a striped tyre being done in normal mode without issue. Can't post link, search marc mcgurren on you tube and watch part 4 of his unboxing videos. Also shows ( and is mentioned in instructions ) that diameter may need fine tuning due to the tyre expanding while spinning to get the static diameter required. Having looked online at the instructions it appears that in special mode you move the cutting bit manually to the edges of the tyre. I'm still not sure if this is permanently saved. In normal mode it will measure tyre width before starting the cut which if you are unsure can be done by pressing the tyre width button before pressing start. I believe it comes with the carbide bit. I ordered on 04/12/20, got an email on 08/12/20 asking if i was sure as post was delayed 5 - 12 days, said yes and it was dispatched on 09/12/20. Tracking showed it stuck at Hong Kong airport for 4 days, then Cologne for 4 days and now in UK hub. Monday will be day 12 since dispatch. As soon as i get it i have striped GT12 and LMP tyres and non striped LMP tyres that i will cut so i can hopefully answer the rest of your questions. Cheers, mike

nikkip 12-20-2020 07:44 PM

Hi Mike,
Really appreciate the correspondence. I'll take a look at the videos you recommended, can't imagine how I missed them, considering I've searched till my eyes blead! WOW the shipping time! I just recently spoke with them and was told and don't quote me, but if I recall approximately 4 weeks. I'm also interested to see if it comes with the carbide bit, I was told it does. I can deal with cutting a second time for allowance of expansion, I do it now with the Hudy as well as the CRC truer.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Regards,
Tom

mike33 12-23-2020 06:43 AM

Hi Tom,
I have good news and bad. I'll start with the bad. While cutting using the standard profile it was offset by about 6mm when trying to round the edges. It appeared to measure the width of the tyre correctly. I would post a picture but am not currently allowed. Basically the cutter moves in thin air at one side of the tyre then adds 6mm worth of grooves in the other. I have emailed them about this but not heard back yet.
The good news is the carbide bit is included and gives a nice smooth surface to the tyre with the finished diameter being 0.4mm larger than the programmed value. This was done using the special mode where the cutting bit is moved to the 2 edges of the tyre to determine the width.
I tried measuring a striped tyre automatically and had no issue. I'll report back when i have heard back from SMART.

Cheers, mike

nikkip 12-26-2020 11:39 AM

Hi Mike,
Great info. Look forward to hearing their reply. Did you cut two tires, to check the consistency of the diameter cut? Keep me posted, this is very helpful.
Regards,
Tom

lastplace 12-26-2020 02:30 PM

This is why I own a Integy manual tire truer.

mike33 01-20-2021 12:46 PM

Hi Tom, Good news! The problem was during calibration anti refletive tape is fitted to the arbor. When using a 1/12th arbor there is an adapter for the alignment block and the tape must cover the adapter where i had it only up to the edge of the arbor. Now setup and working perfectly. I have done another striped tire using normal mode and that worked fine.
regards, mike

Tguns 02-01-2021 01:43 PM

truer

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the post. Glad to hear there are no issues with striped tires. One last one, how consistent is it once you find your sweet spot. For example, if 42.5 on the machine really measures 42 (no machine is perfect) does it cut the same every time. Better yet, is the inaccuracy consistent? Look forward to your reply.

mike33 02-01-2021 02:23 PM

Sizes seem consistent, always 0.4mm larger than programmed. So far have tried contact t35, orange striped lmp and green striped GT12. Always worth checking it measures the width correctly prior to cutting a striped tire.
For anyone else interested i have tried the new hex fitting contact wheel which appears to sit ok on the main arbor but needs a spacer and the contact clamp to tighten it. I have not fitted the maim contact arbor as the alignment block will not fit. I will investigate further when i have time.
thanks, mike.