Like Tree2Likes

New to 1/8 Ebuggy

Old 09-24-2020, 02:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default New to 1/8 Ebuggy

Just getting into Ebuggy. Wondering how many battery packs guys typically use on a raceday ? Can a 4s 6000 mah be used for a couple qualifiers before needing to be charged ? I'm trying to figure out how many packs I will need on race day and how much charging of packs is typically required. Thanks for any info.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:45 AM
Tech Lord

You will be amazed what the search function can do for you:
Survey: 1/8 Electric buggy run times.
John7429 likes this.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:22 AM
Tech Elite

With a 6000mah you can race for about 12-15 minutes. It's best that you have some power left and the end of you race, so a 6000mah pack should be perfect for 10 minute mains.
I recommend you to recharge after every heat even when qualifying. The power is the most conistent during the first half of the pack and you risk to run out of battery if you try to do 2 qualifier without charging.
A qualifier is only 5 minutes, but you usually have 2-3 minutes of warmup time. And if you start a new lap just before the clock runs out, it's another 45seconds. I usually have 8-9 minutes of runtime during a 5 minute quali, so that's much to do 2 runs without charging.

I can usually do a whole raceday with 1 pack if there is 1 hour between every heat, but having 2 packs makes it more comfortable. I always have my 2nd pack ready, but my primary pack is the best one, but so I try to complete all heats with that one. And that usually works out :-)
Old 09-24-2020, 10:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

It’s nice to have more than one battery but you can definitely get by with only one battery. Just Put the battery on the charger and recharge the battery every time the car is finishing running.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
You will be amazed what the search function can do for you:
Survey: 1/8 Electric buggy run times.
if you don't want to answer a simple question then just move on. I thought this is exactly what this forum is for. To ask questions to experienced racers. Jerks like you are why people won't get into this hobby. Now crawl back into your hole. Thanks for the info guys. Very useful for me.
0010 likes this.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:25 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by jdsand5 View Post
if you don't want to answer a simple question then just move on. I thought this is exactly what this forum is for. To ask questions to experienced racers. Jerks like you are why people won't get into this hobby. Now crawl back into your hole. Thanks for the info guys. Very useful for me.
I gave you an answer with a link to an answer of your question and I am pretty sure more is to find. Yes, a forum is to ask questions but the search is also there to search for answers by your self. So no reason to ask what allready has been answered and for sure no reason to be rude.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

I gave you an answer with a link to an answer of your question and I am pretty sure more is to find. Yes, a forum is to ask questions but the search is also there to search for answers by your self. So no reason to ask what allready has been answered and for sure no reason to be rude.
Man you are a troll. You go around this forum doing the same damn thing when anyone asks a question. If you don't want to answer the question asked without telling them to search for it then don't bother even commenting. You do this over and over again. Is this your entire life? Trolling this entire forum and telling everyone who asks a question to search it. That is why people come to this forum. Jesus man grow the hell up. Just remind yourself the next time you are sick to search the symptoms and cures rather than going to a doctor and asking for help. A miserable life you must lead...

Last edited by jdsand5; 09-24-2020 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:16 PM
Tech Lord

Man you are a troll.
And you are just to lazy to do some search but hide it by being rude to me.
Again, I gave you an answer to a topic dedicated to your question, a topic that took a few secconds to find for you, sorry I wasted some time for you.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

And you are just to lazy to do some search but hide it by being rude to me.
Again, I gave you an answer to a topic dedicated to your question, a topic that took a few secconds to find for you, sorry I wasted some time for you.
Lazy? No I'm a working man who tries to get as much done in a day as I possibly can, so why spend more time searching if I can get my answer quickly. I got my answer quickly from a couple helpful people. You need to get some sun. It's time to quit trolling and finally get a job and out of moms basement.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I race with a single 4S-6000mAh pack charging at 20A after every run, typically takes about 10 min to top off the charge from a 5 min qual, no need for a second pack unless your track does immediate bumps from lower mains. Most clubs space out the lower mains so you can still top off your packs if necessary. In my area they recently stopped doing bumps, and group everyone in respective mains with top 3 getting podium pics for that main, makes this a lot easier so no worry about diluting classes between Sportsman and Expert.

Last edited by billdelong; 09-25-2020 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

You go around this forum doing the same damn thing when anyone asks a question.
There was nothing wrong with his reply.

Also often times will search and have links and I will often times do the same.. search and find links and post them sometimes with google search it is easier.

Old 09-26-2020, 02:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

I run anywhere between 4 and 6 packs on a race day depending on how much I practice / work on setup.

A mistake IMO that I see a lot of people make is getting 1 expensive lipo vs many cheaper ones. People don't realize that ebuggies are very low on current draw so having a super high-end lipo is somewhat waisted. You can get 2 - 4 Zee 4s 5200 on amazon for $50 a pop and honestly they run amazing. I have 2 of those and 2 SMC v2 extreme graphenes and honestly there isn't a difference in power. The main benefit to my SMC's is they're 40g lighter.

Just some food for thought.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Juglenaut View Post
There was nothing wrong with his reply.

Also often times will search and have links and I will often times do the same.. search and find links and post them sometimes with google search it is easier.
I have no problem with the link. It's the sarcastic way in which its worded is the problem I have. Btw, that conversation had nothing to do with you. Thanks for the info fellas. I appreciate it...
Old 09-27-2020, 08:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Furadi View Post
I run anywhere between 4 and 6 packs on a race day depending on how much I practice / work on setup.

A mistake IMO that I see a lot of people make is getting 1 expensive lipo vs many cheaper ones. People don't realize that ebuggies are very low on current draw so having a super high-end lipo is somewhat waisted. You can get 2 - 4 Zee 4s 5200 on amazon for $50 a pop and honestly they run amazing. I have 2 of those and 2 SMC v2 extreme graphenes and honestly there isn't a difference in power. The main benefit to my SMC's is they're 40g lighter.

Just some food for thought.

LCG and in-line bullets are other factors to consider as well, having extra 10AWG wiring + EC5 connectors can add another 20g+ to the weight on top of a cheap battery that is already heavy to begin with.... the difference is how much you are willing to risk traction rolls
Old 09-30-2020, 04:19 PM
Tech Champion

Outdoors, we're pushing the Ebuggies hard. The batteries go flat after about 4 cycles. The car still has good power, but it's enough of a loss, to throw off my timing on harder jumps.

So if you're going to use four or more charges in practice, switch to another pack for the rest of the race day. Two packs is plenty. I practice with my backup ebuggy, so I just have one battery for each car.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.