Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Turnigy TrackStar Vs Hobbywing Quickrun Vs EZrun >

Turnigy TrackStar Vs Hobbywing Quickrun Vs EZrun

Turnigy TrackStar Vs Hobbywing Quickrun Vs EZrun

Old 08-29-2020, 05:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Turnigy TrackStar Vs Hobbywing Quickrun Vs EZrun

Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a brushless motor around the 7.5T range for an on road car for carpark bashing (likely an FF03 Tamiya).

I am leaning towards the Turnigy TrackStar as it is the cheapest.
Does anyone know how the Hobbywing motors compare to the Turnigy?
Both the EZrun and quicrun.

And is going 2 pole motor a good option as I read they have less torque and more RPM which might be suitable for an FF03.
Old 08-29-2020, 11:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I would recommend MAX10/5400KV 4 pole combo, $90 shipped if you need one new. I stock the turnigy 80a/5200KV combo as well $75 shipped.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:17 PM
Tech Regular

I would get a sensored setup rather than sensorless for better throttle control (it sounds like you are anyway).

've got a few trackstar motors and they are great value for money. I've had them for a few years now and they did almost 2 seasons in my dirt offroad buggies and they still work, I just replaced them for newer faster motors. They are slower than modern motors now but that shouldn't matter for carpark bashing, and 7.5T will be more than fast enough in an FF03. Most people go for 17.5T or higher in the FF cars don't they? Geared properly they are still fast anyway.

Another one to look at is the Surpass Rocket. The V4S and V5 are as good as most others on the market but you can still get the V2 and V3 which are much cheaper and would be a great option for carpark bashing
Old 08-30-2020, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

Turnigy motors are great, but their ESC's haven't stood the test of time for me, most last about 6 mo to a year before they start acting up on me. HobbyWing is far higher quality.

If you want to save some money then consider the Justock ESC:
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...ant=4734196356

The Justock is limited to an 8.5T motor for on-road, but honestly I wouldn't put anything faster than a 13.5T motor in that FWD if it were me.

+1 for the Surpass Rocket series motors, they are every bit as good as HobbyWing motors!
I would recommend Option C (13.5T) here from the USA warehouse:
https://www.banggood.com/Surpass-Hob..._warehouse=USA
Old 08-31-2020, 09:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Not sure how a FF03 is going to fair with a 7.5t motor, you'll probably melt the front tires off of it every day.

I've got 17.5 motors from many of the major vendors and have tested them on a flywheel dyno. The Trackstars are slightly less (within 5%) powerful than other brands, but still a very good value. The only problem I had with the trackstar was the timing sensor ring didn't allow it to turn far enough to get optimal timing, so I had to dremel the stops away. But probably not an issue with such a low turn motor.

Surpass motors are right up there with the other racing focused brands standard motors.

4 pole motors are more common with heavier offroad vehicles like short course trucks.

What ESC are you planning to use? If end up with the Trackstar motor, I was going to recommend their X-car 120a ESC which is based on an older Hobbywing model. But it's backordered. There are lots of clones of this on Ebay and others that are in a blue case. I'd avoid those, as they are very cheaply made. I've ran several of the Hobbyking versions for years without any issues. If you buy the Trackstar motor/ESC combo, make sure you buy the matching programming card if it doesn't come bundled. You'll need it and there's no other way to program the settings without it.

If you go with another motor, I'd also recommend the Hobbywing Justock ESCs. Good quality.