R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Radio and Electronics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics-137/)
-   -   Electronics issue (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/1071500-electronics-issue.html)

Baha x 08-25-2020 04:29 PM

Electronics issue

totally stumped. Bought a drag car off ebay. Was setup with Traxxas motor/esc. I wasn't happy with that so changed to lrp 4.5t/ hw xr-10 pro and a sanwa mt-44. Now, squeeze the trigger and wheels spin backwards. Cant find reversing throtyle in the e radio or esc. My last option is to pull the tranny apart and put the motor on the other side. Was hoping someone new an easy fix before breaking it down? Tried 2 motors and 2 diff esc and the same shit. Anyone??

the rc guy 08-25-2020 05:07 PM

I think your gonna have to go into the esc and change rotation if its a non sensored motor you can switch any 2 wires on esc to motor that will change rotation of motor

sacmiata 08-25-2020 05:22 PM

If the brushless setup is sensored you cannot swap the wires. I think the XR10 pro you have to run sensored. Swapping might work for a few minutes and then let the smoke out.

MT-44 can easily reverse the direction.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/12...4.html?page=27
Last alternative is you can run the throttle calibration backwards!

Geezatec 08-25-2020 10:37 PM

Brushless motor, either do one of two. Switch over motor cables A and C, or change direction on TX of the MT4

Roelof 08-26-2020 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Geezatec (Post 15681992)
Brushless motor, either do one of two. Switch over motor cables A and C, or change direction on TX of the MT4

Again, if it is sensored no way you can swap cables unless you want to burn the whole thing

the rc guy 08-26-2020 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by the rc guy (Post 15681902)
I think your gonna have to go into the esc and change rotation if its a non sensored motor you can switch any 2 wires on esc to motor that will change rotation of motor

I clearly wrote 1st thing was to go and change esc rotation... and clearly said IF NON Sensored change esc to motor wires . Helps is a op know or reads his manuals 1st. try that the esc rotation can be changed ccw/cw.. I dont deal with hw so I dont know what this requires more than likely a card.no way to let the smoke out by changing wires from esc to motor in a sensored motor .only result will be cogging.

the rc guy 08-26-2020 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by the rc guy (Post 15681902)

I clearly wrote 1st thing was to go and change esc rotation... and clearly said IF NON Sensored change esc to motor wires . Helps if a op knows or reads his manuals 1st. try that the esc rotation can be changed ccw/cw.. I dont deal with hw so I dont know what this requires more than likely a card.no way to let the smoke out by changing wires from esc to motor in a sensored motor .only result will be cogging.it clearly says in many online at many stores try amain in esc options #11 says .change from ccw/cw

sacmiata 08-26-2020 06:54 AM

In my experience when you swap the wires on a sensored setup the motor and esc will run very hot in a manner of a minute with no load. Fortunately I caught my mistake on the bench but if I don’t think it would of lasted very long under load.

Geezatec 08-26-2020 08:21 AM

Helps if a op knows or reads his manuals 1st. I like what you quoted RC Guy!!! Probably other post of changing rotation on brushless motors on RCtech. Its old news, wont waste me time of it.

Juglenaut 08-26-2020 02:14 PM

Hobbywing has a option to switch motor directions.. like #11 or something.. Takes a few minuets by ESC switch, faster with a programmer..

Most HW’s use the same basic option table.

Pedmar007 08-27-2020 04:48 AM

Don't ALL known brand escs have the ability for motor direction change to normal or reverse? No way that sanwa radio doesn't have the option to change orientation of steering or throttle. All rtr $40 radios has the option to reverse directions for steering and throttle, so no way that a $300+ radio wouldn't.

Skynet5 08-27-2020 07:11 AM

If I have a sensored motor and a sensored supporting ESC, I don't need a sensor cable actually plugged in to switch the rotation do I?

The setting on the xr8 to switch from CCW to CW isn't dependant on the sensor cable being present is it? I presume just dependant on you wiring a to a, b to b and c to c.

Im asking merely for interest, I don't need to do this.

sacmiata 08-27-2020 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Pedmar007 (Post 15682488)
Don't ALL known brand escs have the ability for motor direction change to normal or reverse?

Contrary to popular belief at least with hobbywing esc's that i have used they don't have the ability to reverse rotation. The hall effect sensor placement i guess makes it to difficult to overcome in software.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/01...84639635275888

Even in the manual under troubleshooting for a sensored setup the motor HW basically states you cant do anything to reverse rotation if your setup requires a rotation that doesn't match the more popular chassis setups - although I do think you should be able to do it in your radio.

Found this out there as well as an option to trick your ESC into working with a reversed setup and sensored motors

https://teampowerproducts.com/blogs/...ushless-motors

sacmiata 08-27-2020 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Skynet5 (Post 15682530)
If I have a sensored motor and a sensored supporting ESC, I don't need a sensor cable actually plugged in to switch the rotation do I?
The setting on the xr8 to switch from CCW to CW isn't dependent on the sensor cable being present is it? I presume just dependant on you wiring a to a, b to b and c to c.

No you do not need to run the sensor - looking at that manual it seems to default to the sensor-less software that is built in to manage that without even changing the setup.
The CCW/CW is probably dependent on the cable not being installed but the manual doesn't say one way or the other.

the rc guy 08-27-2020 09:08 AM

You will need to use a sensor cable when installed in rc or bench testing it. you wont need it for programing esc with card or without..and this hw esc can be used ccw/cw.