wifi radios and receivers

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Roelof
  • 1 Post By Bry195

wifi radios and receivers

Old 08-13-2020, 08:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default wifi radios and receivers

Is there any ground radios and receivers on wifi?

WIFI can be deterministic (real-time)
conventional QoS can be used
you dont have to use the full OSI model for ethernet if you want even more control over telegram structure
IP protection is easier
incremental product improvements can be backwards and forward compatible
tools to troubleshoot are off the shelf
this list could be massive.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:50 PM
Tech Champion

The 2.4GHz radio's are using WiFi technology. No IP adres but transmitter ID is used to connect
Skynet5 likes this.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

Which surface radio system is the best?
Old 08-14-2020, 08:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
The 2.4GHz radio's are using WiFi technology. No IP adres but transmitter ID is used to connect
2.4 ghz is shared by all kinds of things but its only the first layer of the connection. the amount of data, synchronization, quality of data, encryption, troubleshooting capabilities, automated error handling and probably a 100 more benefits dont come into play at this level. the quanitity and quality of data is managed after the first layer. they dont even use the whole first layer. if they could you could use a wifi repeater to increase range.

but the biggest benefit is that the mfgs can buy very low cost chips to handle it all automaticly and it would be much cheaper, faster and consistent. at the physical layer someone at an rc company has to develop all the management and structure themselves and those guys are good enough to smash bits into the air but they just arent as good as 30 years of development and refinement.
dtr likes this.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:36 AM
Tech Champion

Ah, the 7 layers, I had that in a far past when doing the MCSE NT4/2000 course and the Network essentials cource....

I think a real TCP/IP protocol can work but you want to exclude any dropout. A dropout on your laptop/smartphone will be noticed as a pauze but when your RC jet is in the air you do not want to have a drop out so the used protocol must be simple, fast and reliable. And that is where brands do work on and make the differences.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Ah, the 7 layers, I had that in a far past when doing the MCSE NT4/2000 course and the Network essentials cource....

I think a real TCP/IP protocol can work but you want to exclude any dropout. A dropout on your laptop/smartphone will be noticed as a pauze but when your RC jet is in the air you do not want to have a drop out so the used protocol must be simple, fast and reliable. And that is where brands do work on and make the differences.

For a consumer setup wifi connection 2-3ms of latency or even 4-6ms can be common but that is an entire network. with the Qos parameters and point to point or at least segmented you can achieve 250-500 micro second latency. there are all kinds of methods to handle a dropped packet. Most of them are managed by everything before the application layer. Meaning the rc mfg doesnt have to worry about it. You could setup a mesh network to expand the coverage for jets and so on but I was really just thinking about the costs and capability. So many tricks have been developed to make wifi really good I just dont understand why RC mfgs want to roll their own with 1/10 the capability.