Search
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By billdelong

Transmitter Options - purchase guidance

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 09:15 AM
Tech Regular

Default Transmitter Options - purchase guidance

So I would not call myself a racer although I am building a 1/10 2wd buggy to race at my local club with the point of moving into 1/8 buggy on the big boy track at some point. I also bash a bit and was looking for a radio that could offer both high end and cost effective RXs because I just justify putting a 100 dollar RX in a basher like i can a racer. Just interested if any of you that are in my position have gone through this process. It would be much easier if I was just a bad ass racer however I am not and think money saved on radio could be spent on a 1/8 kit racer

I do have a Faast Futaba 3pm with 1 rx however I would need like 4 new Rxs (which are more expensive than I remember them being) and do not want to invest that much in a old radio unless it makes sense

From a distance and crunching the numbers it seems Futaba is best for the range of RXs that work however it seems Sanwa has the best mid to lower high end radios but RXs are really expensive. Hard to find to much on the Ko Propo EX with lay down throttle.

So far considering

Sanwa, Futaba, Ko Propo also graupner (worried about availability)

I apologize in advance for the what should i buy thread
Old 06-02-2020, 09:21 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Sanwa you now have the option of using knock-off receivers which I've heard are pretty decent. $25-60

Futaba, you can get the very fast protocols now in $60-80 receivers. With options to use the slower receivers in the $40-45 range. Something nice mid range is the 4PM radio.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Knock off Sanwa receivers

I have 2 of the RX482 knockoffs $25 ea. and they work great. The genuine RX482 that came with my MTS radio was defective out of the box and wouldn't bind. It was quickly replaced under warranty by Desoto Racing. (Serpent USA)
Old 06-02-2020, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

flysky noble nb4 ..just got 1 about a week ago great radio and rx can be found at many lhs and online
Old 06-02-2020, 11:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by the rc guy
flysky noble nb4 ..just got 1 about a week ago great radio and rx can be found at many lhs and online
I didnt even think to look at Flysky but that is a compelling radio it looks really nice seem like a really good value.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Graupner has made an announcement that they are focusing on supporting the European (EU) market for the next year, they are still restructuring and plan to resume support globally in about a year from now. In the mean time, there will not be a US distributor, though there are a handful of dealers selling left over inventory at discounted prices. I plan to continue running my Graupner indefinitely, it's a solid system and I can still get parts ordered from the EU if necessary.

If you are going to be at Thornhill tomorrow night, you're more than welcome to look over my Graupner radio and get a feel for what it feels like in your hands and check out the color touch screen which has become a personal requirement for me.

More systems worth considering here:
Which surface radio system is the best?
Old 06-03-2020, 06:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan
Sanwa you now have the option of using knock-off receivers which I've heard are pretty decent. $25-60

Futaba, you can get the very fast protocols now in $60-80 receivers. With options to use the slower receivers in the $40-45 range. Something nice mid range is the 4PM radio.
But their servos to run these protocols are very high priced
Old 06-04-2020, 08:00 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Losiracer12
Yes, that is very true! They aren't cheap.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:52 AM
Tech Lord

As the same goes for the Sanwa SSR servo's. There is no real need to use them, the Futaba T-FHSS and the Sanwa SHR are also fast.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:30 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Losiracer12
Many AGF servos (priced in the $50 range) support various signal patterns including SSR, more info here:
Which servo is right for me?
mushroomed likes this.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:53 AM
Tech Adept

I own both a sanwa mt-s and a Futaba 4pls.
i prefer the Futaba. Just feels higher quality and the rs304b receiver I like. Both are great choices and plenty fast for racing. 4px or mt-s it's a coin flip
Old 06-12-2020, 02:36 PM
Tech Regular

I know this might be the least popular option but have you looked into the Hitec Lynx 4S? It's my current radio BUT I am making the switch to the Noble NB4 as soon as it arrives from overseas. No particular reason either other than the desire to buy something new as I've had the Lynx since 2016. I'll admit, the grip and battery holder area aren't made out of the best plastics but they hold up if you take care of the radio, a good drop might not end so well though. Range has never been an issue, the telemetry works FLAWLESS and the radio works with NIMH, Lipo or LiFe packs. Yes, it's an ugly duckling but hey, Adam Drake rocked it for awhile and won plenty of races with it.
Old 06-13-2020, 07:04 AM
Tech Champion

I have seen many fast local drivers who love the Lynx, they've been running it for many years without issue too.