• 1 Post By Roelof

SkyRC Toro 120A ESC - Don't buy

Old 05-23-2020, 01:07 PM
Mco
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default SkyRC Toro 120A ESC - Don't buy

SkyRC Toro TS120A ESC

I soldered everything up correctly with capacitor and no cold joints. I put the ESC in a Team Associated SC10 4x4 (10th scale) geared 62/13 (32 pitch) connected to an ICON 17.5 motor. Transmitter used was a Noble NB4 from Flysky. Battery used was a Gens Ace 2S 4600mAh 7.4V 60C/120C Lipo Shorty. First run down a 120 ft straight and it shut down midway through. Thought it might have thermaled, so I let it sit. When I tried to turn it back on, there was no indicator of power from the ESC like beeps or activation of the fan. Tried it again a couple of days later, and still no power. Tried to connect using skyRC program box, but since no power registers through the ESC, there was no power to the program box. Sent an email to SkyRC about my brand new ESC. About a week later, they replied on 02/06/20 asking for details about equipment used and where it was purchased. I purchased item in a shop in HK, but don't have the receipt (that was my fault for losing this important doc). I asked to send the item back to them for inspection on my dime, they said that they would send out a power board for $30 USD. I have not heard back from them in a week (02/26/20), then Candy responded to me and asked me more about my equipment. I did not hear back from Candy until I reached out on 04/08/20. I'm sure that the virus must have messed this time line up and I understood. I gave them the benefit of the doubt. Candy said that it would now be $40 for them to ship out the power board to me. I said, fine, ship it out. At this point, Candy clarified that it will now cost $67 to ship out to me, but offered me another option of going through RCJuice (US distributor, cool people that I bought from before) and paying them $80 for them to ship out. So, just to recap my ridiculously novel of attrition and wasted time, I said to forget it and take a loss on my $95 Toro 120A ESC. Bottom line, ESC had an obvious defect, SkyRC did not solve my issue and kept upping the amount to fix. It's hit and miss with their stuff as I had already bought their 150A 1/8th scale ESC and that thing is a beast.

I just wanted to warn anyone thinking about buying this ESC. Let me know if you have any questions about it or if you have any suggestions that I haven't tried.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:44 PM
Tech Champion

Well buying something in an Asian shop it is asking for warranty issues when needed.
If you had bought it closer to your house then getting warranty would be much easier.

Then I wonder why this one time experience with for a part your fault is the reason to advice not to get this ESC, I know several happy people arround me with this ESC.
jgil089 likes this.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

You put a 17.5T motor in a 4WD SCT????

That's your first problem there.... I would replace that with a 4-Pole 3660-4000KV motor first. Even better to look up a setup sheet with the electronics listed and use that as your starting point for gearing.

Not trying to defend SkyRC, but sounds like this issue is 100% your fault for selecting the wrong motor. Though I find it hard to believe that a 17.5T motor could cook your ESC, but no telling what may have went wrong with mis-matched electronics like that.

I have had nothing but bad luck from SkyRC ESC's... most work great for a about 2-3 months, then they get all kinds of gremlins, mostly they would shut off BEC power and the throttle would go WOT for a split second after landing from a jump... I tossed all the ESC's in the trash after my 1/8 buggy went WOT into a turn marshal's shin and drove right up his leg as a runaway... the SkyRC brand is way too unreliable and dangerous to be allowed on any race track. I also try to look over everyone's gear at the club in my area and I give fair warning when I see someone show up with a SkyRC ESC... doesn't take them long to get the same runaway problem I warned them about and they'll switch brands too.

Good Luck!