electronics setup help

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By billdelong

electronics setup help

Old 05-22-2020, 07:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default electronics setup help

Getting back into the hobby after a long time away... Things have gotten pretty technical since the old am/fm 27mghz days! I've picked up some stuff for the classes I plan to run, but getting overwhelmed with all the options/settings. Here's what I've got:
TX Futaba 4PM

2wd buggy...r304sb-e rx
savox sb2263mg-be servo
hw xerun xr10 pro esc
17.5 or 10.5 motor

4wd buggy ..r334sbs rx
savox sb2263mg-be servo
hw xerun xr10 pro esc
13.5 or 6.5 motor

vta ....r304sb-e rx
savox 1257 tg servo
tekin rs gen2 esc
25.5 motor

usgt .....r304sb-e rx
savox 1257 tg servo
tekin rs gen2 esc
21.5 motor

my question is, what settings do I go with on the tx and rx combos? all that telemetry stuff is new to me. some rx's work with it, some don't. Is it based on the servo being used?? So far, haven't been able to do anything other than bind them and calibrate the esc's and run em up and down the driveway waiting for tracks to open back up. Am I losing anything or gonna damage anything if I choose the wrong rx type in the tx setup? Thanks for any help, guys.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

I don't use telemetry even though my radio supports it.... might not hurt to hook up the thermometer sensor to your motor, but I already know what gearing I need so I don't use it.

I would first learn how to adjust your steering speed on the radio. Chances are the servo will go too fast and this will make your car easier to drive. Make sure your EPA is adjusted so that the steering goes in full lock without binding on the servo, and keep the Dual Rate at the max setting, simply use the steering speed to settle down each car until it's easy to drive... as your tires wear, you'll want to slowly increase your steering speed to compensate for wear until it's time to replace completely worn tires. Then reset the steering speed back with a new set of tires installed.

You'll want to play with punch control on the ESC, for low grip conditions you might want to go with the lowest punch and high grip will want the highest punch as an example. Try to get setup sheets from local pro drivers to give you good starting points for each class. Then fill out your own setup sheet as you make changes to suit your driving style.

Good Luck and welcome back to the hobby!
jogan likes this.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks for the input. I'll play with the steering settings like you suggested. And check out the throttle punch profiles and see what I can drive with! lol