Reasonably priced 3ch radio

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rustyus

Reasonably priced 3ch radio

Old 05-18-2020, 08:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Reasonably priced 3ch radio

I'm getting back into the hobby and need to replace my Futaba 2ch from the mid 90's (2PCKA). I don't need anything fancy, it will be used for bashing and will likely be in the hands of my kids soon. I really only need two channels, although a third would be nice for lights, etc down the road. I've been looking at the entry-level Spektrum and Futaba units and am having a hard time deciding. It would be nice to be able to pair the radio with multiple receivers, but I'm not sure this is an option on either. What would you guys recommend?
Old 05-18-2020, 01:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Depending on how many receivers you think you will need, that's a price point that should be checked into. I will be honest, and say you'll end up with at least two RC platforms 'cause that's just the way it works. You'll want two radios to enjoy RCing together. There are all kinds of low budget radios out there. Reasonably priced means different things to different people. If you were my neighbor, I'd start steering you in the direction of a $54 ~ $65 RadioLink RC4GS, or a FlySky FS-GT5. Those two radios have extra receivers that are priced right for all around fun.

Over the year I've come to appreciate the quality in Airtronics/Sanwa, Futaba, and KO PROPO. I recently almost bought a Futaba 3PV, but it didn't have one important feature that I was looking for, so I shopped around, and spent the same price for a Sanwa MT-S transmitter. The only catch was the Sanwa MT-S came w/o receivers, but I was planning on buying the cheaper Sanwa compatible receivers anyway (genuine Sanwa receivers are around $99.99).

If you are not in a hurry, and I didn't like my neighbor, I'd maybe talk you into the FS-GT3C radios. They can be had for $35 at a few places, but have to be shipped by boat (two months waiting time). They also are hit, or miss with quality control, and are a bit funky to adjust parameters at first.

Sorry. I'm sure others will be here to help you sort things out.

misterbrister likes this.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

I'm using a Futaba T3PV since 3 years for a bunch of cars (touring cars, Buggys and Monstertrucks) with different receivers (R202GF, R304SB). Only bashing, no racing. Everything is fine with it, no hassle. It works without problems just as it should.
Michael
Old 05-19-2020, 05:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Futaba 3PV

Old 05-19-2020, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

+1 for Radiolink, by far my personal favorite radio of all the budget brands where Radiolink has stood the test of time for me other options worth considering here:
Old 05-21-2020, 12:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for all the replies, appreciate the support. I hadn't thought about FlySky but will definitely take a look!
Old 05-22-2020, 04:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by misterbrister View Post
Thanks for all the replies, appreciate the support. I hadn't thought about FlySky but will definitely take a look!
If you want, PM me, and I'll send you a FS-GT3C with a used and new receiver.