Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By billdelong

Truggy 4s Batteries

Old 05-17-2020, 02:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Truggy 4s Batteries

What the best 4s batteries for Truggy for racing? Need something good and dependable.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:21 PM
Tech Elite

I run 2 x 2 cell of a SMC.. then if I get a weak cell i just replace a 2 cell.. cant do that on a 4 cell just turn it into a 3 cell.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

If you decide to run packs in series, the I would highly encourage you to read this article first:
SMC - LVC Adjustments and Packs in Series

Long before I had an IR meter, and long before this article was published, I learned the hard way when I killed a brand new battery that I hooked up to an older pack, the newer pack was over discharged... there really is no benefit of mix-matching old/new packs, the cells must be perfectly matched IR across all 4 cells, plus the packs need to be rotated as running in series makes the circuit less efficient by having to go through extra wiring which increases the resistance across the circuit

For a race grade setup, I would go with Trinity White Carbon which can be changed at 40A without breaking a sweat, these cells can handle the abuse from a truggy and will last considerably longer than any budget brand of battery on the market, this will be the lowest IR you can get on the market today and the IR will remain low for at least a year based on my personal experience with the brand:
https://www.teamtrinity.com/team-tri...s-tep2310.html
Old 05-18-2020, 02:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Bill, I have a White Carbon that I aquired when I bought a used buggy. I've been running it hard for the last 6 months and have had no problems out of it. Now, I will say that it doesn't feel like it has as much punch as some as the others I have. But I do not know how old it is and it may have lost it's punch already. Racing in my truggy yesterday, I could definitely tell the difference between the White Carbon and a new 110C Reedy pack I have. Do You think if both were new you could tell a difference? Definitely not interested in running packs in series. TIA

Last edited by boatcapt; 05-18-2020 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

Most brands of batteries I have raced over the years tend to last about 6 months before they start to swell, it's rare for me to get a year out of any brand that I have raced, especially running 4S in a Truggy!
I'm rather impressed that you have been able to squeeze another six months out of a pack that you have no idea what condition it is in!

What I have grown to trust are the IR readings to tell me the condition of a pack with my personal limits:

< 3mΩ/cell is considered low resistance of a perfectly healthy almost new condition
3mΩ < 7mΩ/cell is considered decent, average performance, acceptable for selling/trading
7mΩ < 15mΩ/cell is past it's prime, time to start looking for a replacement, acceptable to give away or include as a freebie on a used car deal
<15mΩ/cell is time to discard the pack, not even worth giving away

I have personally found that White Carbon cells tend to degrade significantly better than any other budget brand I have owned, I know there are some other reputable high end brands, but I have not tested any of them myself, though I definitely try to stay away from
MaxAmps

If you don't have an IR meter then I would encourage you to upgrade your charger:
Which charger is the best?
Old 05-18-2020, 04:12 PM
Tech Initiate

I will see if I can find some White Carbons in Stock somewhere. I’m running a icharger 406. Made that investment in January. I will check the IR readings tomorrow. So, about the punch, coming out of a turn onto a straight. I could tell the Reedy pack had more punch than the old White Carbon. You think that the age of the pack is why it felt weaker? You think new for new they would be comparable? I now I read a lot about the C ratings are BS on most packs.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

I would be willing to bet that the IR on the Reedy pack is significantly lower than the IR on your White Carbon pack... but if both packs were brand new, then the White Carbon pack might be a pinch lower IR.... all things equal, you would want to compare pack longevity when purchased at the same time and rotated equally to demonstrate the same wear. Right now, you are comparing apples to oranges.

I have the same 406 Duo and checking the IR is just a single press of the "Status" button to toggle over to the IR.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:16 AM
Tech Initiate

IRís from both batts. White Carbon on the left. Reedy on the right.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

That white carbon pack is still in halfway decent shape though is approaching the time to consider replacing it. Cell #1 is getting farther away from cell #4 than I prefer which is telling you that the cells are no longer "matched" where the other pack shows how the cells in that packs are far more closely matched, the closer the cells are matched, the faster the charger can balance and reduce time spent in the CCCV cycle. If not for Cell#1 that pack could still be considered Low IR, though that cell is definitely fading and should be monitored closely until it approaches 7mΩ, then I would probably retire the pack from racing at that point... the healthier cells are the reason why it's feeling more like a 3.5S instead of a true 4S pack, ha!
boatcapt likes this.