Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Tekin RX8 gen1 trouble >

Tekin RX8 gen1 trouble

Tekin RX8 gen1 trouble

Old 04-08-2020, 12:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Tekin RX8 gen1 trouble

I just got a buggy in a trade and I was told that the ESC was bad. Then he said that there were light blinking when powered (switch is bypassed). The story is that his kid left the battery connected over a weekend and it slowly drained the battery nearly to death and since then he could only get blink codes. I either forgot the blink that he reported or he wasn't clear - but it gave me some hope. I get it home and connected a sotrage-charged 4S pack and it appear to initialize as it should but, as soon as I gave it radio input, the wheels barely moved and it went dark. Now, when I reconnect the battery I hear what seems to be a pretty normal spark but nothing happens at all.

Is there any hope? Or should I simply pronounce it dead?
Old 04-08-2020, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 262 (100%+)

Was the ESC set up for 4S to begin with? That would be the first thing to verify/change.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Unless the setup is drastically different from the Gen2 version then the only thing that the voltage setting does is handle the LVC. I set my gen2 to 2S and connected a 4S pack and it was completely happy, I set it up for 4S and connected a 2S pack and it went immediately into LV mode.
The directions for the Gen1 and Gen2 are very close if no exactly the same,
Old 04-09-2020, 08:12 AM
Tech Master

Which error code the RX8 showing, how many LED's?
Old 04-09-2020, 12:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally, no lights at all.

I had some momentary success then total failure. I emailed Tekin about their trade-in then decided that i had nothing to lose so I opened it up to see if there was any obvious problem. It was clear that the previous owner treated it like it was water-proof. It was a mess!! I was able to get it to initialize occasionally but not consistently. I cleaned both boards and reassembled and it seemed to work on the bench. I put it back into the housing and it continued to work with no load on the motor. I put everything back together and reinstalle everything, powered up and it appeared to want to pull forward slowly. I went to the throttle trim and turned it the wrong way and before I could turn it back to zero all was dark again After some choice words were spoken I pulled everything apart,,, again. In frustration I tried wiggling things with the battery connected and now my work on this ESC is finished. At some point the motor growled and the magic smoke was released from somewhere in the output transistor board.

Will be pursuing a trade-in with Tekin.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:04 PM
Tech Master

Question? Does the steering servo go to home position when turn on?
Old 04-09-2020, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

have you tried a factory reset?.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Geezatec View Post
Question? Does the steering servo go to home position when turn on?
Only when it initializes properly. When it does not, the servo doesn't move and the Rx has no light.

My thoeory is that there was a bad connection between the output board and the control board. But while trying to confirm this, I completely destroyed it. I think its totally dead now but I may try powering it again while outside, the burned electronics smell seems to stick to things better than most smells.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

The kid left it on during the weekend. Your steering doesn't initialize, and RX8 doesn't turn on. The model lost its memory on everything. Make sure the lipo is charged, ecevthing connected to RX. With power off, Pess Bind button on RX then turn on the RX8, Your RX8 will turn on and Steering servo will initialize. You just rebond the system. Ecerything works? All it needed was to be rebind. Good Luck have fun. Be sure you re configure the RX8 holding down the Set button and it chimes each position of throttle.