Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
NOVAK 610-HRV for Low Speed use (Gets very hot) >

NOVAK 610-HRV for Low Speed use (Gets very hot)

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By waitwhat

NOVAK 610-HRV for Low Speed use (Gets very hot)

Old 01-10-2020, 11:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default NOVAK 610-HRV for Low Speed use (Gets very hot)

I am using a Novak 610-HRV with my Ko Propo EX-10 Helios on a 1/14 Tamiya Tractor Trailer for Very Low speed running (Frequent Forward and Reverse using 1st gear) using 7.2 NiMh battery. I left the Current Limiter untouched at MAX but adjusted the TH/BK endpoints for low speed indoor running. The ESC middle FET gets extremely hot. Will lowering the current limiter create even more heat? I cannot find my infrared temperature reader and I don't want to fry my ESC or my finger. Please let me know if the old school NOVAK ESC has thermal protection. Nothing is binding in the truck's drivetrain and your help is appreciated.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Limiting top speed with the radio epa is causing this issue. Get a 55t motor for a rock crawler and you should be able to set your epa back to 100 and not have a truck that is way too fast.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I am using the stock Mabuchi Silver Can.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The motor is too powerful for driving the truck indoors doing whatever you are doing. You can slow the truck down by lowering your epa, but the FET gets hot. If you put a slower motor in the truck you will have a top speed appropriate for indoor driving. You will have the full trigger range to adjust speed. When you lower epa too much you have too few steps in the trigger range and the esc doesn't like that.

There is info out there for your current motor that tells you how many rpms that motor turns. With that info you could get a new motor that turns at half the rpm. That motor would let you set your epa back to 100 to help the esc run cooler and cut the speed of the truck in half.
Bry195 likes this.