Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Question regarding "hooking up esc reversed" Reedy 510r >

Question regarding "hooking up esc reversed" Reedy 510r

Question regarding "hooking up esc reversed" Reedy 510r

Old 12-01-2019, 04:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Question regarding "hooking up esc reversed" Reedy 510r

Just curious, Reedy 510r that was hooked up in reverse. Is it salvageable and where on the board would be the most likely damaged item or items? Also could it be that just the external Cap Pack took the full brunt and popped them?
Old 12-01-2019, 11:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The cap can pop but this doesnít protect the esc in any way, the capacitor is connected in parallel with the battery connectors. It is possible that the esc is undamaged but Iím sure youíve check that already. A replacement cap wonít fix the esc if it is already not working. Iíve heard of people replacing the FETs inside speed controls that have had reversed polarity but havenít tried it myself.

Related, Reedy has an exchange program for electronics (working or not, Reedy or other brands). If youíre not feeling up to the repair task the discount can ease the pain of a replacement! https://img2.associatedelectrics.com...ge_program.pdf
Old 12-01-2019, 06:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hobbywings just melt, don t ask me how I know.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Most likely toast. If removing the cap package doesn't bring it back to life, then one or more internal components that are all surface mounted were damaged. So unless you have a professional solder rework station, you're better off leveraging any trade in program available.

We've all done this. Shortening one of the wires to make it impossible to plug into the wrong side (assuming your batteries are bullet style and all have the + and - on the same side). Or use some red electrical tape and put somewhere it's easily seen.