• 3 Post By xenon55
  • 1 Post By riceball777

Antenna routing

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 10:25 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Antenna routing

Noob here. How are you guys routing your shorty Rx antennas? I don’t see many guys running antenna tubes anymore. Is the antenna just loose? Or is everyone just running antenna-less receivers? I see the newest Sanwa Rx for the M17 (491) has returned to having an external antenna, did the antenna-less 481, and 482 not work that well?
Old 11-25-2019, 11:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My local track isn't that big, but I don't route the antenna out of the body. I just bundle it with the rest of the wiring and tuck it out of place. I haven't had any issues with distance on my local track, but again, it's not a large track. I'm not using Sanwa gear though so YMMV.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:22 AM
Tech Lord

There is allready a lot written about the differences between antenna less and reacievers with an antenna

Basically the antenna less receivers are advised voor electric because those tracks are smaller. Such a receiver mounted in a gas car it will be surrounded by aluminum and carbon that can give range isues. So when running small tracks and electric (more open chassis) the antenna less is fine. When running gas on large tracks it is advisable to use a receiver with an antenna although there are many reports of no issues with an antenna less receiver, to me it is still a risk with such a choice..
Old 11-25-2019, 11:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use "antennaless" receivers for my nitro buggy and it's fine, even on large tracks such as Thornhill. But that's with a FlySky NB4 so your experience might vary with other radios.

For my ebuggy I used a lighter to bend the antenna so it stays under the body. It's a shorter 2.4ghz antenna. I know that isn't ideal but it hasn't caused any issues for me.
Bsthetech likes this.

Last edited by frewster; 11-25-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Here’s how I set mine up. I figured since there was a place to use an antenna tube, might as well use it. I cut the tube a little shorter than the antenna so I could use the cap to hold it in place. Once I had it in place, I heated up the tube and bent it so it would fit under the body.

Old 11-25-2019, 03:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bsthetech
see the newest Sanwa Rx for the M17 (491) has returned to having an external antenna, did the antenna-less 481, and 482 not work that well?
I believe that with the previous generations of Sanwa radios that they were released with an external antenna receiver initially.

External antenna receivers can work for all cars (nitro, electric, large track, small) so I imagine they prioritize releasing these receivers first. Then then new generation of internal antenna receivers will be released.

You can still run the 481/482 or their clones with the M17, just losing whatever fraction of improved response you'd get with the new receivers if running Sanwa servo and ESC.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:32 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
There is allready a lot written about the differences between antenna less and reacievers with an antenna
I figured as much and tried a search. Lots of noise....very little signal....
Old 11-26-2019, 03:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I have used antenna less receivers for speed runs to the point where I can barely see the car and I never had issues. This is with my futaba 7px and the futaba antennas less receivers.
mushroomed likes this.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I had some glitching when I had it routed over my esc and motor. Other than try and keep it away from that, it doesn't seem to matter much otherwise.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

As noted on the picture above, even antenna’d receivers have pretty short leads. So in most cases, you can easily keep the little antenna tube tucked inside the body. If you happen to be running touring car, it’s a piece of cake.