Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Experiment: On-car microphone, live audio. >

Experiment: On-car microphone, live audio.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By taylorsizemore

Experiment: On-car microphone, live audio.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 05:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Experiment: On-car microphone, live audio.

I have had this idea for a long time, after seeing it done in FPV racing. I want to hear my car through a earbud on the drivers stand, I think it will help me with my driving. It helps in a video game, so why not RC?!
I am documenting my experimentation process on YouTube and already have a shopping cart full of digital audio transmitters for the next experiment. Hope you enjoy it!

dtr likes this.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:40 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I could almost see it for nitro. But just think there’s too many sounds for electric. Servo, motor, pinion/spur, gear/ball diff, tires , and wind noise.

But I’ll see what you find.

Old 11-21-2019, 09:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
I could almost see it for nitro. But just think there’s too many sounds for electric. Servo, motor, pinion/spur, gear/ball diff, tires , and wind noise.

This might be true, but excited to see... Maybe I would just end up contact mic'ing the tranny? Mainly want to hear the motor. Maybe I should buy cut gears. ha!
Old 11-21-2019, 11:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly

If you can't hear your nitro engine, you probably need to get your ears checked.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Not sure if this would be beneficial, as the latency could be a problem.
I use Tekin data logs and video to learn what the car is doing. Watching video back reminds me of how the car felt, i.e. body roll, push/understeer, over steer etc.
In my opinion, just listening to the sounds would not be enough.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

I dont know if its still available but there was an iphone app called Fourier. It is a fast Fourier transformation app for the mic on the phone. So you can see the sounds across the entire bandwidth. So when you see them you can isolate them, if you want to hear the ignition cycle or just the tires or whatever you can see what frequency they are at. An EQ (also an app) allows you to attenuate the frequencies you dont want to hear. There are apps to measure and filter. Notch filters or low pass, band pass. RC filters. You can also buy cheap condensor mics that you can put resistors and caps on to isolate sounds. Knock sensors on cars are cheap and they are a prefiltered mic.

you might also consider stereo mics if you want to know the direction of the sound.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bry195
I dont know if its still available but there was an iphone app called Fourier. It is a fast Fourier transformation app for the mic on the phone. So you can see the sounds across the entire bandwidth. So when you see them you can isolate them, if you want to hear the ignition cycle or just the tires or whatever you can see what frequency they are at. An EQ (also an app) allows you to attenuate the frequencies you dont want to hear. There are apps to measure and filter. Notch filters or low pass, band pass. RC filters. You can also buy cheap condensor mics that you can put resistors and caps on to isolate sounds. Knock sensors on cars are cheap and they are a prefiltered mic.

you might also consider stereo mics if you want to know the direction of the sound.

Thanks for that! That’s great info, are you an audio engineer? Im definitely going to play around with a variety of microphones, so good to know about the knock sensor!
Old 11-29-2019, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

No but I am an electrical engineer who got into audio as a kid, bumpin that s**t from NWA. Every once in awhile someone asks me to use sound as an input into some control system so Ive had to learn from real audio guys what they would look for so that I can translate it into something a control system can react to.