R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Radio and Electronics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics-137/)
-   -   Tekken ESCs/Servos - Thoughts? Opinions? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/1049882-tekken-escs-servos-thoughts-opinions.html)

TurnNBurn 09-09-2019 10:35 AM

Tekin ESCs/Servos - Thoughts? Opinions?

Hi all - as someone who is looking to get back into the hobby after a LONG hiatus, I wanted to get some feedback on Teken’s current lineup of products if possible? Did a search and didn’t see a dedicated thread (other than for a couple of Redline motors and their HotWire module), so I created this thread.

Truth be told, my very first ESC was a Tekin, way back in 1988. Got great use out of it and their famous Quarter-sized 75 MHz receiver, which I later passed down to my brother with no issues at all. After that, I became a devout Novak fan; Bought a 410MXc and never looked back. That was then, this is now. Was kind of sad to see that Mr. Novak closed his doors a few years ago, but it is what it is.

I know that Hobbywing seems to be dominating market share in the industry, but my past experience with Tekin begs me to look at their current lineup. As far as feature sets go, they at least are up there as far as having similar offerings ( the aforementioned HotWire programming option, for example).

I plan to run TC’s, both Nitro and Electric initially, so I’m looking at The RSX Pro (will probably start out in Stock, but get back into Mod after getting my feet wet). And am looking at the T-180 for servos in both cars - mostly because the Nitro car’s design favors low profile models. Heck, if the Redline motors are pretty decent, I might even consider running a complete Tekin package in the EP TC (Side question - did Tekin buy the original Redline Motors from the brushed days?).

Anyway, all thoughts/opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

Knockoffracer 09-09-2019 12:15 PM

I have a few RS Gen2 ESCs... Absolutely love them. The Hotwire 3 program box makes it super easy to tune. They are considerably cheaper than the RSX. I still want an RSX though. Don't discount the HW XR10 Pro.. its fantastic as well. I run two of those in other cars.

rcbuggy88 09-09-2019 12:33 PM

Tekin is pretty bad nowadays compared to the competition, hobbywing probably has the majority share, but personally I use team powers

TurnNBurn 09-09-2019 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Knockoffracer (Post 15507803)
I have a few RS Gen2 ESCs... Absolutely love them. The Hotwire 3 program box makes it super easy to tune. They are considerably cheaper than the RSX. I still want an RSX though. Don't discount the HW XR10 Pro.. its fantastic as well. I run two of those in other cars.

Oh, I’m not discounting them at all - I’m sure they have market share for a reason. :) Of course if I went that way, then I’ll definitely have a mishmash of products in my car. I’ve read that HW motors are decent, but their rotors just aren’t as torquey as much of the competition. Thanks for the input.

TurnNBurn 09-09-2019 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by rcbuggy88 (Post 15507810)
Tekin is pretty bad nowadays compared to the competition, hobbywing probably has the majority share, but personally I use team powers

The most difficult thing these days seems to be trying to get valuable feedback/reviews these days compared to years ago. A lot of “reviews” these days seem to be just press junkets more than real reviews - and Tekin products seem to be one of those that just doesn’t get much coverage in general. Maybe it’s just a result of how industry media coverage has suffered, with so many of the great magazines from years ago now gone. Even RCCA seems like just a shell of what it used to be... Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Di_spencer 09-09-2019 01:54 PM

I run tekin electronics in all my race cars and besides my self inflicted reverse polarity mishaps on a couple occasions they've run flawlessly for me for years. I haven't run their servos yet but I've talked to people that have and they haf nothing but good things to say.

the rc guy 09-09-2019 02:51 PM

Tekin as always is far more better than all other rc gear..I have run brushed and brushless gear and I always like the tekin gear over any other.

nexxus 09-09-2019 06:15 PM

Some love them, some don't I've dabbled in them a few times, recently bought a Tekin RS Black edition as a 21.5 blinky TC esc and just didn't like it, the throttle profiles were very off or on and the motor seemed notably down on power compared to every other esc I'd used, changed back to a 2 yr old Trackstar sportsman esc and 0.7 a lap quicker. Had the same experience with a Gen 2 Spec edition 3-4 yrs ago, figured it may have just been me.

Not going to say they are a bad esc or anything, those sort of comments attract the company reps and sponsored fan boys etc and this hobby is full of keyboard warriors like that

Just that I tried it, didn't work for me, so I use the R1 V3 esc now which I like besides having to have the wifi module plugged in the car when running if you want data logging as the memory is on there not in the esc. At least Tekin had esc logging on board without needing 10-15 grams of adapter onboard to log.

riceball777 09-09-2019 07:35 PM

I run hobbywing esc because I see the majority of the fast guys running hobby wing. Plus I love the fact with the new hobby wing xr10 pro g2 has reverse polarity protection. I blew up my share of esc in my day by plugging them in backwards.

RCJamesJ 09-09-2019 08:17 PM

Both are good, both have Bluetooth wireless programming from a additional box. Hobby Wing is a bit less expensive. Neither of them are going to be the reason 99% of the people on this forum will win or loose a race. From what I have seen HW has more variety so I think you see them more in the 1/10 scale, spec stuff with more Tekin in 1/8 scale. That could also just be the area I am and what I perceive.

TurnNBurn 09-09-2019 09:20 PM

Well, I do appreciate all the opinions coming in... By all means, if anyone else wants to chime in on your experiences (good or bad), please do.

Mahjik 09-10-2019 07:20 AM

I have not used the RSX, but I have two RS Gen V2's. I found them very easy to use and the Hotwire software (once you work through some compatibility with your personal devices) is very simple to make changes. I also like that I can simply carry my phone to the track to make those adjustments.

The ESC's are more on the expensive side but I've not had an issue with one yet. I looked at them originally for the BEC support. I had a Savox servo which was known to pull a lot of amps and the non-spec RS Gen V2 had very good amp support.

The other reason I went with Tekin is that they have representatives on this forum, supporting their products. While it's not necessarily as quick as going through their official support, it's nice to see them out in the public providing support. Since I didn't have issues that were critical, using this forum to get assistance with some phone/laptop compatibility issues with Hotwire worked like a charm.

savage24x 09-10-2019 08:00 AM

Every one of my electric Serpent kits have a Tekin ESC. Amazing ESC's, won't buy anything else.

TurnNBurn 09-10-2019 10:15 AM

Lol, even though I edited my thread topic, it seems like the site has a bug. I promise you, it was my iPhone that originally replaced the brand I have been talking about with a certain popular fighting video game. 😛 I caught it as I was typing up my OP, but missed in in the thread topic.

I guess it’s more popular than I expected, if it’s in iOS’ predictive text dictionary, haha!

TurnNBurn 09-10-2019 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by savage24x (Post 15508296)
Every one of my electric Serpent kits have a Tekin ESC. Amazing ESC's, won't buy anything else.

Tekin/Serpent - at least I know the combination works well together for someone. 🙂