Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
axial ae-5 esc drag brake question >

axial ae-5 esc drag brake question

axial ae-5 esc drag brake question

Old 08-25-2019, 07:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Default axial ae-5 esc drag brake question

just a quick question, asking for a friend. he got this ESC as part of a trade deal and there's no instructions. with the plug in one way it shows 100% drag brake. move it over and it's 50% drag brake. if you take the plug out entirely is it 0% drag brake? is it safe to run with no plug in the drag brake option?
Old 09-10-2019, 09:38 AM
Tech Regular

Greetings RetroGuy,

Don't know if you got your answer or not. Perhaps contact Axial with that question? Here is <pdf> instruction sheet on the AE-5:

Not sure what your friend is going to use the AE-5 on. Had it on my Rustler as a trail rider feeding from a 2s Lipo to a 35T brushed crawling motor. 100% drag brake and instant reverse was o.k. for that application. Still have it fitted to my Rustler in use on my backyard oval as a safety truck. Again with 2s Lipo, but this time 19T Reedy QuadMag brushed motor. Even limiting the truck to its 10-lap safety run, AE-5 runs hot. Even set at 50% drag brake instead of 100%, it is unsuitable for use in a conventional stadium truck application. Too much drag brake and instant reverse instead of braking is inconvenient. FWIW.

Cheers and Regards. AC
Attached Files

Last edited by AHR43; 09-10-2019 at 09:40 AM. Reason: punctuation correction
Old 09-14-2019, 07:00 PM
Tech Initiate

the instructions didn't answer the no plug question that's why i asked. he ended up trying it without the plug the fallowing weekend and it seemed to still have drag brake. it got put into an hpi wheelie king with a silver can motor and is powered by a nimh battery. he hasn't said anything about it running hot, but i don't know how much run time it's gotten sense completion. thank you for responding