Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
New Radio? If yes, Futaba 4PX or new 4PM? >

New Radio? If yes, Futaba 4PX or new 4PM?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By riceball777
  • 1 Post By Edibrook
  • 1 Post By iplaygames

New Radio? If yes, Futaba 4PX or new 4PM?

Old 08-14-2019, 08:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Default New Radio? If yes, Futaba 4PX or new 4PM?

Hey all,

Background as to why I'm asking this question.

I recently got back into RC and have been starting to hit the track. I run 1/8 nitro truggy and next year will also be getting a 1/8 nitro buggy to run both classes.

I'm currently using my old Futaba 3pm 2.4ghz radio and am wondering if I need to upgrade? I'm not one to keep up with the current and buy new just b/c its out if I don't have to; so please be real with me as I'm looking for sound advice.

I'm just hitting the track for fun and improving my driving skills. Would I like to win some? Sure once I get more track time but its not like I'm going to be mad if I don't. I'm out there to get better and have fun.

Is the controller I'm using going to have a huge impact on my driving? I know the biggest factor in this is me. I want to know its worth the investment. I currently have the capability of storing 10 recievers (more then enough) and seem to be able to program the basic things I need in ST & TH trim, speed, epa, fail safes and a bunch of other stuff.

If the controller does make a difference as I've been hearing which is better. The 4PX is older but seems to have a bit more and to me looks a little cooler. I've seen them getting sold for around the price of the new 4PM so that's why I'd like to hear which is actually better.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any info.

-CJ
Old 08-14-2019, 10:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The main thing which matters for surface radios is the response speed (servo update rate and signal transmission latency), Sanwa is usually the class leader, but Futaba is usually very close, with both generally improving each generation.

The 3PM with the FASST receiver is actually an excellent radio, if you haven't done so already, make sure you run a good digital servo and then switch the radio (and re-bind the RX) in the "HRS" mode. Check the manual for steps. The response in this mode is much faster (noticeably), and the servo update rate will be the max capable for that radio/rx which is 303Hz from memory. Latency around 5.2ms. I ran one in the past and while I've upgraded a couple times since then, I still think it's a good and competitive radio.

In terms of 4PX vs. 4PM, I'd actually rather the 4PM because it supports Futaba's latest high-speed mode ("SR") - however this requires you run the R334 rx and Futaba "SR" servos. If on a budget, generally with both Sanwa and Futaba the smart money is to get the latest generation midrange radio, once one is released running the same response mode as the same generation's flagship. The flagship features like colour screens and fancy graphs for most people are just gimmicks or for bragging rights.

If no problems with your 3PM though, I'd keep it for now, spend on good servos / running gear / etc. Only major reason to change is if you really need more rxs for other cars.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by uDi_MP7.5 View Post
The main thing which matters for surface radios is the response speed (servo update rate and signal transmission latency), Sanwa is usually the class leader, but Futaba is usually very close, with both generally improving each generation.

The 3PM with the FASST receiver is actually an excellent radio, if you haven't done so already, make sure you run a good digital servo and then switch the radio (and re-bind the RX) in the "HRS" mode. Check the manual for steps. The response in this mode is much faster (noticeably), and the servo update rate will be the max capable for that radio/rx which is 303Hz from memory. Latency around 5.2ms. I ran one in the past and while I've upgraded a couple times since then, I still think it's a good and competitive radio.

In terms of 4PX vs. 4PM, I'd actually rather the 4PM because it supports Futaba's latest high-speed mode ("SR") - however this requires you run the R334 rx and Futaba "SR" servos. If on a budget, generally with both Sanwa and Futaba the smart money is to get the latest generation midrange radio, once one is released running the same response mode as the same generation's flagship. The flagship features like colour screens and fancy graphs for most people are just gimmicks or for bragging rights.

If no problems with your 3PM though, I'd keep it for now, spend on good servos / running gear / etc. Only major reason to change is if you really need more rxs for other cars.
This is great and much appreciated.

I actually did just update my servos to ProTek 170SBL for steering and ProTek 130SS for throttle/brake

I will check out the manual and make the proper adjustments.

Thanks,

CJ
Old 08-14-2019, 01:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have owned the futaba 3pm,4pv, 4px and now i use the 7px with futaba sr capable servos in SR mode. I'll be the first person to tell you that in term of functionally and usage that it makes no difference and th eonly reason i have the top of the line stuff is because i like the fancy touch screen, it looks cool and i can afford it, but realistically for a newish newbie driver like me it makes no difference.
Galatians2 20 likes this.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by riceball777 View Post
I have owned the futaba 3pm,4pv, 4px and now i use the 7px with futaba sr capable servos in SR mode. I'll be the first person to tell you that in term of functionally and usage that it makes no difference and th eonly reason i have the top of the line stuff is because i like the fancy touch screen, it looks cool and i can afford it, but realistically for a newish newbie driver like me it makes no difference.
+1
Old 08-14-2019, 01:44 PM
Tech Adept

or dont get caught up in the overpriced radios - the New flysky noble nb4, dont count it out, i went from the m12s(which i dropped) then borrowed a 4px which felt nowhere near as fast/reponsive. Then probably a waste of money but tried the flysky... WOW the quality of this radio is incredible, the feeling of control is sanwa like, so many people have now caught on and are changing over, the micro rec are very cheap too.
But still, if you want the best expensive radios, the m17/m12s/mt44 will deliver everything you need. futaba is not special like it used to be.