R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Radio and Electronics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics-137/)
-   -   How to setup your mod motor for easy driving (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/1048011-how-setup-your-mod-motor-easy-driving.html)

Akhor 08-09-2019 09:58 PM

How to setup your mod motor for easy driving

Hey,

So I've recently upgraded to a 6.5 mod motor from a 7.5 that had a total of 85 degrees is turbo (ESC and can combined). So now I'm trying to get all the timing set properly.

I'm thinking that the way to make the faster motor easier to drive through the infield is to set the timing on the can to zero and the esc timing to around 40. But the key to this setup is the zero timing.

How are you determining the easiest esc setting to drive?

MaxRain 08-10-2019 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Akhor (Post 15492412)
Hey,

So I've recently upgraded to a 6.5 mod motor from a 7.5 that had a total of 85 degrees is turbo (ESC and can combined). So now I'm trying to get all the timing set properly.

I'm thinking that the way to make the faster motor easier to drive through the infield is to set the timing on the can to zero and the esc timing to around 40. But the key to this setup is the zero timing.

How are you determining the easiest esc setting to drive?

Maybe time for some dyno experiments...

Bry195 08-10-2019 08:23 PM

How do you determine or how do you adjust?

I determine it by planning what lap time I want. Then I measure the distance of the lap and convert to feet per second. I then set the gearing to make that happen based on the rpms I want the motor at.

the timing is based on the rpm i select, efficiency or power are the 2 points in the motor that guide my selection based on heat concerns.

if its too fast I change my throttle end point or I do a throttle curve that is concave,

Marcos.J 08-11-2019 11:55 AM

what are you running ? on road? off road? 2wd?4wd? 1/12th scale pan car ?1/10th pan car? carpet? asphalt? small track ? big track?high traction? low traction?

071crazy 08-12-2019 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bry195 (Post 15492776)
How do you determine or how do you adjust?

I determine it by planning what lap time I want. Then I measure the distance of the lap and convert to feet per second. I then set the gearing to make that happen based on the rpms I want the motor at.

the timing is based on the rpm i select, efficiency or power are the 2 points in the motor that guide my selection based on heat concerns.

if its too fast I change my throttle end point or I do a throttle curve that is concave,

I always plan my lap times out to be the same as maifield's, but it never works. I guess I must be doing something wrong.

Akhor 08-12-2019 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by 071crazy (Post 15493423)
I always plan my lap times out to be the same as maifield's, but it never works. I guess I must be doing something wrong.

Have you tried smashing your radio? Maybe that's the step you're missing....

mushroomed 08-12-2019 12:53 PM

If you are driving on medium-low traction turning down the punch/torque setting on the esc can help make it easier to drive.

Reducing the neutral width and increasing the ‘minimal throttle’ can help give some more sensitivity at the lower end of the throttle. This can also help with control on the higher end.

MaxRain 08-15-2019 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Marcos.J (Post 15492975)
what are you running ? on road? off road? 2wd?4wd? 1/12th scale pan car ?1/10th pan car? carpet? asphalt? small track ? big track?high traction? low traction?

he runs on-road