• 1 Post By uDi_MP7.5
  • 1 Post By MaxRain

Please help - Old Futaba 3PK with Orange RX DSM module and ORX Reciever

Old 08-06-2019, 10:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Unhappy Please help - Old Futaba 3PK with Orange RX DSM module and ORX Reciever

Hi guys,

I'm hoping to get a little help. My son's recently taken up RC racing, which I gave up 13 years ago when he was born ;p . I bought a brand new car for him but since I obviously was bitten by the bug again I dug up my old RC gear out of the garage(an original HB Cyclone and Futaba 3pk). The old futaba was still running FM so I thought I'd upgrade it to 2.4 and after research some very limited options I settled on getting the GR300R receiver and Orange RX futaba module.

For the life of me I cannot get it to work. I have set the 3pk to work in PPM mode. I think it's binding correctly, as in the manual it states when binding is initiated the TX modules has 3 beeps, then a second set of 3 beeps which should indicate a successful bind. On the receiver I get the rapid flashing with the bind plug in on power up, then on the 2nd set of 3 beeps the receiver flashing stops, but instead of going solid orange(to indicate its bound and receiving signal) there is no light, just an occasional flash of either the red or orange LEDs.

I realise this gear is ancient but I'm really hoping someone else has experience with this or can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,
el
Old 08-09-2019, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 155 (100%+)

I could never get mine to work either. It was just a waste of money.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ta_man View Post
I could never get mine to work either. It was just a waste of money.
yeah Iíve started the RMA process with HK to get a refund. Did you ever find a solution that works? Iíve just ordered a corona module as thatís the only other solution I can find. Fingers crossed
Old 08-09-2019, 10:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I found the corona module to be junk as well, hopefully you get a good one but mine was rubbish, low range.
I got it refunded and sold the 3PK, which I only tried the 2.4 modules on because the genuine FM receiver failed.

I think the modern generations of 2.4G stuff is a lot better than old, personally I'd either find the genuine Futaba 2.4 module for the 3PK or just get some modern/current Sanwa or Futaba gear.
elusiver likes this.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:10 AM
Tech Addict

I was kind of in the same boat with my 3PJ Super... But as mentioned above, no matter what may have existed back then, current radios are sure to be far superior.

As Iíve always been a fan of Futaba, Iím currently looking at their recently released 4PM, which appears to be the successor to the 4PX.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I use the Frysky DFT module on the 3pk and the receivers V8R4-II are super small, better than the orange stuff..

To properly mount the DFT, simply use a reamer or drill bit to cut and reposition the antenna on the top of the module, versus using the factory drilled hole.
elusiver likes this.