R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Radio and Electronics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics-137/)
-   -   Wire recommendation (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/1045711-wire-recommendation.html)

Dough Boy 06-28-2019 07:16 AM

Wire recommendation

I made a mistake I wasn't looking to the future when I wired up my T4.2 installing the ESC and motor. I would like to reuse my hobbywing justock ESC and my wires are cut way too short for my TLR 22 4.0 buggy. I have seen custom color wiring all white, or blue what brand and type of wire do you use CCA or OFC?

Will the hobbywing XR10 take new wire has anyone un-soldered the stock 14awg and replaced it successfully?

Thank you in advance for recommendations, and I know the ESC is cheap enough to replace I would hate to dump a perfectly good $50 ESC.

Dan 06-28-2019 07:19 AM

You can use almost any brand wire. I like to use TQ Wire because it is more flexible and doesn't have overly thick insulation.

To remove the old XR10 wires off the ESC, cut the wire near the soldering posts. It should be a lot easier to remove. The problem when you try to unsolder the stock XR10 wires is the rest of the wire absorbs the heat when you try to unsolder it.So the solder doesn't get hot enough. When you cut the wire near the post, it is a lot quicker to remove the remaining end with an iron, since it heats up very quickly.

Dough Boy 06-28-2019 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 15472093)
You can use almost any brand wire. I like to use TQ Wire because it is more flexible and doesn't have overly thick insulation.

To remove the old XR10 wires off the ESC, cut the wire near the soldering posts. It should be a lot easier to remove. The problem when you try to unsolder the stock XR10 wires is the rest of the wire absorbs the heat when you try to unsolder it.So the solder doesn't get hot enough. When you cut the wire near the post, it is a lot quicker to remove the remaining end with an iron, since it heats up very quickly.

I will pick up some TQ wire at my lhs and rewire my XR10. Thank you for the advice on cutting the wires shorter for ease of de-soldering them.

Minigun76 06-28-2019 08:59 PM

You can also solder in 4mm bullet connectors inline between thr ESC and motor. That's what I'm doing right now. This also gives you the option to quickly change motors. I bought some bullet connectors and Turnigy 12guage wire from Hobbyking USA.

Juglenaut 06-30-2019 08:48 PM

Deans Ultra 12ga wire or even better wet noodle.

Dough Boy 07-01-2019 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Minigun76 (Post 15472357)
You can also solder in 4mm bullet connectors inline between thr ESC and motor. That's what I'm doing right now. This also gives you the option to quickly change motors. I bought some bullet connectors and Turnigy 12guage wire from Hobbyking USA.

Not a bad idea for ease of replacement.

Juglenaut 07-01-2019 05:33 PM

If you plan on changing motors a lot then use connectors however I have been wiring directly to motor since 1994, and used to wire the battery direct as well in some of my cars.

It is something to work towards, I did not solder directly for almost 3 years when I first got into RC.

It only takes me a few minutes to change out a motor.

Hands001 07-09-2019 10:54 PM

TQ wire is great.

m3rcfh 07-11-2019 03:01 PM

I always used wet noodles 12awg, but those are too thick for the smaller XR10.. I switched to TQ 13awg and am very happy, superflexible and not bulky at all