• 2 Post By billdelong
  • 1 Post By Juglenaut
  • 1 Post By slick2500
  • 1 Post By Alexv2024

Max amps Lipo packs

Old 06-21-2019, 01:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Max amps Lipo packs

Does anyone have any experience with these? The seem to get great reviews but I just want to get more opinions before I pull the trigger and buy them. Thanks to all in advance
Old 06-21-2019, 03:43 PM
Tech Master

I along with 2 others that I personally know have used max amp in the past(sponsored drivers). they where Highly over rated in amps supply they would not deliver anywhere near what was stated on lipo stickers .. if it was rated at 150 amps actual amps it was possible of delivering was less than 85amp. id go to another brand, I like and have used for the last 10 years SMC. never had any fail under hard abuse and use,
Old 06-21-2019, 03:46 PM
Tech Master

Ole Max Amps stomps out any online negative reviews.a FYI
Old 06-22-2019, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

TheJANG from UltimateRC did a battery review many years ago using a discharge graph comparing 30A discharge cycles between MaxAmps brand and a couple budget brand packs that were available at the time. TheJANG found that performance was nearly identical between the packs and could not recommend MaxAmps with the opinion that they were over stating their C ratings and the price they were charging were not justified. MaxAmps would retaliate and forced YouTube to remove any video that TheJANG had published with MaxAmps in his content over "Copyright Protection". TheJANG had to cross out MaxAmps in any reference to his review on his website. He even banned the word MaxAmps from being used on the URC forums... folks would quickly adobt the name MaxCramps which was very accurate.
Juglenaut and Goof like this.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guy you all made my life easier today
Old 06-24-2019, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Here is a huge thread of lipo testing. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2zxG4glkHlzT94
Old 06-24-2019, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 312 (100%+)

I remember a few years ago Max Amps advertised for a battery builder offering $8 an hour.

So working a 40 hour week you may be able to afford what, 2 of their packs?

Pass.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the rc guy View Post
Ole Max Amps stomps out any online negative reviews.a FYI
This, they will delete all and any negative reviews they can.

Also this. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...st-Comparisons
Real world testing puts Maxamps as some of the worst performing batteries on the planet.

"Speaking of which: MAXAMPS, The most expensive 6S 5450mah on the planet was by far the worst pack I've ever tested. It failed in every metric so badly I actually feel sorry for the company more then the customers they should be issuing recall notices to. This "True 120C" unit is not even a decent 10C product. Originally I purchased the 5000mah "True 100C" version at a cost higher then TP's Rampage. It tested so bad it almost popped before completing a standard 25C run. Figuring it was simply defective I returned it for the recommended 5450mah "True 120C" version.

Here's where it gets weird because I've always riled against over priced packs: I LOVE THESE GUYS! I received some of the best support I've ever encountered, on par with Dinogy's MarkF. If the $250 5450mah would have compared favorably with his $140 70C unit I would have considered buying more even at their horrendously inflated price. No amount of service or salesmanship could have built a successful company using this caliber of cells, right? They must have received a very bad shipment and simply need to overhaul their inhouse QC procedures. Otherwise theirs is the worst kind of scam. Competitively both units tested are not worth $50 each. It's the only one I've ever filed a Paypal refund claim against because they didn't send what I ordered. "
Old 07-02-2019, 05:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

I ran one of their 4250mah shorty 2s packs and it was a good pack. More punch and less fade than some other high end packs, like muchmore 4300's and 3800s but a gens ace 5000mah pack had very similar punch/over all power. Gens ace 5500mah pack was better as is my reedy SG2 and of course trinity packs.

Solid pack if a friend is letting you borrow it, but that 150c rating is more like 85-90c. I'd buy something else with less over inflated ratings.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

As far as C discharge rating well it all comes down to your speed control and how much current it can drive per phase and wether or not your motor can sink said current. Burst helps over the three phases momentarily off zero rpm more commonly called current in-rush 95% of the time the call for current will be the rated discharge and the only fade is due to burst. So if your esc is 300 amp per phase it only draws that and thatís if the motor can sink it with a 6000mah 50c battery.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

No it actually comes down to the whole system. I ran multiple packs in multiple configurations. Any one component can limit your power and when you put a bottle neck in the system you'll feel it. I've ran stock, mod, low amp esc's high amp esc's all mixed together. Multiple stock motors too, with aggressive gearing and not. Honestly the esc has the least effect on available punch vs battery, motor and gearing. It does have an effect though. Just less important than other factors. Heck battery temp and how long its been sitting at storage can vastly effect available punch.

This is all through experimenting in 1/10 racing on a budget and trying to find the best punch per dollar.

To be on topic though, maxamps are good packs, but not the insane C capable ratings they give themselves, so it doesn't justify the price they want. Id reccomend other stuff just because it'll roughly equal the power at less money and a decent amount of them will be better.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Discharge rates are the most important factor when it comes to a battery being able to deliver power to the motor. How well a esc switches the dc into the three phase power the brushless motor needs is very important as well. The esc on a brushless setup acts more like a VFD and it is best to get a esc that is slightly more current per phase than one needs.

Burst only applies at off zero rpm as essentially the motor is a practical dead short this applies to both brushed and brushless motors however a brushless motor has a higher minimum impedance at zero rpm essentially for a moment the rotor uses current based on a fully locked rotor, or starting torque.

What I am trying to explain is if your esc is 300 amps per phase, you really donít need more then a 6ah times 50c which equals 360amp that way even if the esc is maxed you still are lower than the batteries C rating.
Bry195 likes this.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Knowing specs on paper and comparing them is useful, but you need to know how that transitions into real track differences.

I've ran a 45a old just stock hobby wing esc and a orion hmx 250a with the same motor. Yes the hmx was better in every way, and yes had more punch....but as I said in my previous post other things make a larger difference, well once you get past the low end esc's. My 120a v3,1 hobby wing esc is 90% as good as the hmx for half the cost. Better motors and batteries make more of a difference than finding an esc with less on resistance than the v3.1 or HMX. And then gearing/timing the motors and cycling the lipos again makes more of a difference.

What I'm saying is you're not wrong, just focusing on an area with less improvements than other areas.

Also discharge C rates are insanely over inflated, especially max amp packs. The 150c 4250mah shorty is slightly better than the 5000mah gens ace which is rated at like 50c. Id peg it as a 90-100c pack. It definitely does not have 50% more punch than my trinity packs.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Alexv2024 View Post
Knowing specs on paper and comparing them is useful, but you need to know how that transitions into real track differences.

I've ran a 45a old just stock hobby wing esc and a orion hmx 250a with the same motor. Yes the hmx was better in every way, and yes had more punch....but as I said in my previous post other things make a larger difference, well once you get past the low end esc's. My 120a v3,1 hobby wing esc is 90% as good as the hmx for half the cost. Better motors and batteries make more of a difference than finding an esc with less on resistance than the v3.1 or HMX. And then gearing/timing the motors and cycling the lipos again makes more of a difference.

What I'm saying is you're not wrong, just focusing on an area with less improvements than other areas.

Also discharge C rates are insanely over inflated, especially max amp packs. The 150c 4250mah shorty is slightly better than the 5000mah gens ace which is rated at like 50c. Id peg it as a 90-100c pack. It definitely does not have 50% more punch than my trinity packs.
Just fyi having a true C rate above 50c is physically impossible. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ngs-Scam-Alert
Juglenaut likes this.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah I know, I said essentially that in my last reply. When I said the maxamp packs are like a 90c-100c pack, I was referring to how it performs compared to other over rated packs.

Theres no way their 150c shorty can deliver something like 600amps, without ruining the pack. Its absurd what marketing teams get away with.
slick2500 likes this.