• 1 Post By bob.less
  • 1 Post By billdelong
  • 1 Post By Roelof
  • 1 Post By mushroomed

Removing bearing shields and seals

Old 06-13-2019, 07:41 PM
Tech Adept

Default Removing bearing shields and seals

Yes, I said it what are peopleís thoughts on the mod.. Removing key select bearing shields and or rubber seals.

Example, I used to remove all seals or shields on bearings facing inside a hub or spindle. Inside transmissions or gear boxes only the outward bearing retains its outer shield/seal.

I have done this a lot in 1/10 scale off road and. Looking for input, options, and opinions..
Old 06-13-2019, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

My input is if you have the time to wrench, the desire to wrench, like to tinker, etc. then anything and everything is worth doing if it makes you happy or gives you a mental "attaboy." I mean that with wholehearted respect, also. But IMO, the reality of club racing is most any and all wrench/battery/motor/esc/bling voodoo, can be bested simply by more wheeltime if the measurement is one's own laptimes.

I was assuming your question meant will removing shields decrease drag and help your car be more efficient, which will help your racing? I've ran many bearings with only one shield, never hurt anything that I could tell. Didn't improve anything that I could tell either
Old 06-14-2019, 05:41 AM
Tech Master

Talking

Originally Posted by jbrow1 View Post
My input is if you have the time to wrench, the desire to wrench, like to tinker, etc. then anything and everything is worth doing if it makes you happy or gives you a mental "attaboy." I mean that with wholehearted respect, also. But IMO, the reality of club racing is most any and all wrench/battery/motor/esc/bling voodoo, can be bested simply by more wheeltime if the measurement is one's own laptimes.

I was assuming your question meant will removing shields decrease drag and help your car be more efficient, which will help your racing? I've ran many bearings with only one shield, never hurt anything that I could tell. Didn't improve anything that I could tell either
I like that one.......A MENTAL ATTABOY......Can I use that line ?
jbrow1 likes this.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Juglenaut View Post
what are peopleís thoughts on the mod..
I don't see any reason to remove seals for mod, this will only increase your maintenance interval. Typically folks will pack their bearings with "bearing grease" which needs the seals to hold the grease in place to protect the bearings.

For stock classes, folks will use a dry Teflon lube and remove the inner shields to get less drag but more importantly they use metal shields on the exposed sides of each bearing with no rubber shields such as AVID Aura style bearings. I use WD40 PTFE Dry Lube to flush/clean my bearings, then apply 2 drops of SLIP Bearing Oil after every 1-2 race days.

On my mod cars, when racing on turf, I only have to clean my bearings once every 12+ race days, I use WD40 PFTE Dry Lube to flush/clean my bearings (after temporarily removing the rubber seals) then pack with SLIP Bearing Grease. If racing on dirt, I would probably clean and repack the bearings every 4-5 race days.
Juglenaut likes this.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bob.less View Post
I like that one.......A MENTAL ATTABOY......Can I use that line ?
Certainly 👍
Old 06-14-2019, 10:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm not meticulous enough with maintenance to be cleaning bearings after every run or race day. Removing the grease, adding oil then putting the back seals on is a good compromise for me but I typically only do this when a set of bearings is starting to feel rough anyway. A crunchy bearing can end your race by overheating the car, so running no seals on the bearings is too risky given I'm not going to tear down the car that often.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:46 AM
Tech Champion

If you want to deal a possibly resistanse then use metal shielded bearings. The shield is not touching any part of the bearing.

Rubber shields is an idea, I have seen it before that people are removing the rubber shields on the inside of a hub or diff case but I doubt it will give a noticeable improvement.The total resistance of the shields is that low compared to the weight and resistance of the whole drive train and you have so much power from the motor that you have to be a very good driver to make that a difference.
mushroomed likes this.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
... you have to be a very good driver to make that a difference.
Sometimes I notice my front wheels are still spinning when I walk off the drivers stand to flip my car over.
belewis01 likes this.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Why is this posted in the Radios and Electronics forum?

Yes, I said it ......
Old 06-14-2019, 05:02 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by belewis01 View Post
Why is this posted in the Radios and Electronics forum?

Yes, I said it ......
Because I didnít feel like posting it in every genre. If you feel like moderating by all means go ahead.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:28 PM
Tech Adept

Bearings as a whole are in more than just the vehicle, see motor and servo..

I am not a big fan of rubber seals. Back in the day Teflon shields were used, and sometimes Teflon kits were available and these were great.
Metal shields yes, keep the big stuff out.

On one of my stealth transmissions the only bearings that had a seal was the top shaft outside and the differential outdrive bearings, using Teflon shields, bushings in the differential. I also applied the black grease to the top shaft and hubs. I could spin the top shaft by hand and it would spin freely for a moderate amount of time

I never had dirt or grit in either a differential case or transmission, if the case was greased and all pinion shafts/outdrives.