Sensored brushless motor question

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JDMR

Sensored brushless motor question

Old 06-07-2019, 07:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Sensored brushless motor question

My Tekin RX8 ESC failed recently. The 1900KV Tekin T8 motor is still in good shape. Will this motor work with any other ESC (besides Tekin) and still be sensored? I know Hobbywing makes 1/8 scaled ESC that are sensored, but are they compatible with first gen Tekin T8 motors?
Old 06-07-2019, 07:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes as long as its a 8th scale sensored esc
sleepyhatch likes this.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JDMR View Post
Yes as long as its a 8th scale sensored esc
Thanks.

I was looking at the Hobbywing XR8 ESC, and they had this in the fine print.

*The full-sensored running mode can only be realized when pairing this ESC with the 1/8th scale new sensored brushless motor HOBBYWING is going to release.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by sleepyhatch View Post
Thanks.

I was looking at the Hobbywing XR8 ESC, and they had this in the fine print.

*The full-sensored running mode can only be realized when pairing this ESC with the 1/8th scale new sensored brushless motor HOBBYWING is going to release.
When XR8 Plus or XR8 SCT are paired with HW Sd G2 motor. The ESC can run full sensored mode.

If paired with other motors, it will automatically run hybrid mode, which is sensored on low speed and non sensored on high speed.

Advantage of running full sensored is u can use the turbo timing function instead of boost timing(used with hybrid mode). With turbo timing function u can adjust the turbo delay. With boost timing, u cannot adjust the delay.

​​​​​However, I have play around the turbo function but i never found a condition where i need that extra power. 4s system is alrdy too much power for me. If u have enough skill to handle just know that the overpower function is there for u.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

I have run the XR8 series since it came out... with Tekin, LRP, Ruddog, SMC and Trackstar Motors all sensored no issues. It will drive them all, did not notice and difference to running a HW motor, even the G2 motors and SCT ones as well. Its a great ESC and will perform just fine with the Tekin Motor!

Last edited by 1/8 IC Fan; 06-08-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:01 PM
Tech Adept

I have a RX8 Gen3 with a t8 Gen3 1900kv and can run sensor-less just change modes. A sensored motor with the sensor connector unplugged is just that a sensor-less motor.

*my service provider had a hiccup*

Last edited by Juglenaut; 06-08-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:16 PM
Tech Adept

I also have a RX8 g3 and T8 g3 1900kv and can run it both sensored and sensorless.
Be vary careful choosing and running 1/8th scale motors on 1/10 scale escís. 1/10 scale uses 540-560 size motors, while 1/8 scale uses 560-690 size motors. This is in respect to motor length, the longer the motor the more torque at a given kv rating this yields more current draw. You have to pay even more close attention to the escís limits as running a larger motor on 1/10 esc you down rate the capabilities on said esc.

So this is just an example!! if a 1/10 scale esc can limit out at 5000kv 1/10 scale motor at 2s then it will be 3800kv max with a 1/8 scale motor at 2s.