Wiki Posts
Search

Long range radio for speedruns

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 10:02 AM
Tech Adept

Default Long range radio for speedruns

Hi guys,

I've been doing some speed runs lately over a span of around 300 metres, however I find myself always going out of range. The radios I have tried are:

Spektrum DX3R
Spektrum DX2E
Spektrum STX2

All of these seem to lose range at around 50-100 metres, so I'm thinking of trying Futaba.

Ideally under £100, would the Futaba 3PV be any better range-wise?

Apparently someone said that they were looking at the Futaba T4PM the other day and was surprised to see it's max range in the specs was 100m... And the 3PV only 80 meters...

Thanks for any opinions

Old 05-12-2019, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This guy was getting 700m with an RC4G. I would look at what he wrote about it.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:25 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by frewster
This guy was getting 700m with an RC4G. I would look at what he wrote about it.
Wow that's incredible! I'll definitely have to research this beast
Old 05-12-2019, 10:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Maybe a Silly question, but I am sure doing speedruns involves quite an investment in the gear, i.e. motors, esc, batteries etc. so why skimp on a radio??? I race 1:8 IC Onroad and would be afraid to do so with some lower end radio...

just my 2 cents.

There are many deals to be had via the RCtech BST thread on used but still more than capable radios.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:50 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
Maybe a Silly question, but I am sure doing speedruns involves quite an investment in the gear, i.e. motors, esc, batteries etc. so why skimp on a radio??? I race 1:8 IC Onroad and would be afraid to do so with some lower end radio...

just my 2 cents.

There are many deals to be had via the RCtech BST thread on used but still more than capable radios.
I'm trying to do things on the cheap, aiming for a 70mph basher that can also be used for speedruns. I've made another thread on it in the Electric off road section

Also, I haven't found any other radio (even expensive ones) that come close to 800m range
Old 05-12-2019, 11:28 AM
Tech Lord

Although Spektrum is still seen as one of the best brands I would leave it as it is. The old DSSS stuff was decent but today there are a lot of complains about the range and for some the unwanted AVC receivers.

With many tests over the years Futaba did come out as the best with reliabillity and range
https://www.bigsquidrc.com/futaba-4pv-radio-review/

Old 05-12-2019, 12:35 PM
Tech Initiate

I haven't tried anything at those ranges, but a higher quality radio should help. Ideally a radio with a large antenna, and a receiver with a wire antenna in a tube. A 4pls might be worth a shot, it supports an enormous amount of Futaba receivers, and has a large antenna.

Another thing that can help is very careful placement of the receiver and antenna; place both far away from the motor, ESC, and battery. Tidy up the wiring, avoid looping the wire, consider shortening wires. Put a capacitor on the receiver to smooth things out. Mount the antenna as high up as it can go, away from metallic objects.

Also could try different receiver modes. I know Futabas can do "normal" and "high" refresh rates on some receivers, I would guess that lower data-rates might have better reception. Telemetry probably isn't necessary, and might actually reduce range. Try non-telemetry receivers, with wire antennas. You'll be doing range tests like the rc airplane guys. A last resort, you could try airplane radio systems.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:39 PM
Tech Adept

That RADIOLINK RC4G is looking pretty tough to beat in terms of range and price...
Old 05-12-2019, 12:54 PM
Tech Master

Fwiw I raced with one for four years without any glitching. I only used it at the track, though, so I can't really say what the range was for mine. If you do get one wrap the receiver in electrical tape as the plastic clips split in big crashes. They ought to use screws instead.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:07 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the advice. How do you like the gyro? I imagine this would come in handy for speed runs
Old 05-12-2019, 01:31 PM
Tech Master

I never used it much since I only race and you can't use gyros where I race. It seems to help and you can adjust how strong the effect is.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:36 PM
Tech Adept

I'm liking it more and more, thanks very much for introducing it to me. I've had a look on ebay and there seem to be a few, just need to decide which is the right one (many different receivers...)

I noticed on the Radiolink webite, the receiver is V2. But on ebay none of them say V2

Last edited by ReV:-O; 05-12-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:30 PM
Tech Master

Message them via their Facebook page if you have questions about receiver compatibility. They have gotten back to me quickly that way.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:17 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks, I've sent them a FB message
Old 05-12-2019, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

from a general tech perspective lower frequencies transmit further for the same amount of power. for example 900 mhz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.