Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Recommend to me a charger for Lipo batteries >

Recommend to me a charger for Lipo batteries

Like Tree2Likes

Recommend to me a charger for Lipo batteries

Old 05-09-2019, 10:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have a few of the AOkoda Cellmeter8 150W dischargers. They're about $15 and will discharge each cell to whatever voltage you set.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

In looking at your other thread, it appear you are going for a 1/8th scale buggy so you'll probably be running 3S or 4S batteries. Look at the following link as it will give you some guidance on what specifications you need to take in consideration for your charging needs:

https://oscarliang.com/choose-lipo-b...-power-supply/
Garet Jax likes this.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
In looking at your other thread, it appear you are going for a 1/8th scale buggy so you'll probably be running 3S or 4S batteries. Look at the following link as it will give you some guidance on what specifications you need to take in consideration for your charging needs:

https://oscarliang.com/choose-lipo-b...-power-supply/
Thanks that was my intention, but it looks like there are more 1/10 scale tracks in my area. Might need to go that way just for race volume.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by faqcya View Post
I recommend looking for a charger that is capable of a decent discharge rate. Either that or build a dedicated discharger using resistors.
What would you say is a decent discharge rate?
Old 05-10-2019, 09:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Garet Jax View Post
What would you say is a decent discharge rate?
At minimum 50W. If you want a charger with this capacity there's a large jump in price which is why I use stand alone dischargers. It also lets me use the charger at the same time that I'm discharging packs.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I would get the sky rc d400 or the protek 625 or the hitec d7. There’s chargers will do everything you want. No external power supply needed. 400 watts of power. Charge rates of 20-25 amps. It checks internal resistance. It has adjustable terminal voltage. 36 watts of discharge power.

of corse if money is no option go Ahead and get the best. That of course would be an icharger 4010 with the appropriate power supply.

Last edited by riceball777; 05-10-2019 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:06 PM
Tech Regular

Most chargers that discharge will cap at 30ish watts. X6 is in this range but it has a 30 amps charge rate. I looked a little but i found that higher discharge rates comes in expensive chargers. The Icharger measures internal resistance and on brand new cold race packs it starts at 26amps and as they warm and resistance goes down i can hit 30. It will puff a cheap pack but it also folds back output power based on resistance so not as much.

There is no science that I can quote but a Pack at 2.5 mega ohms will come down to 1.5 if i fully discharge at 30 amps and then charge at 30. I have an x6 so discharge for storage at 30 watts takes awhile but for storage mode its fine. I use an external charger (skyrc 65 bucks) to pull mega ohms out. They stay out even if i charge the night before.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I use a Junsi 206B I charger and a HP750 power supply. I also use a HK Reaktor 250(i charger clone) as well. The power supply costs about $30 ready to go. You can pick them up cheap on ebay, and the mods are super easy. I use the 206 for 4s batteries above 10 amps, and the Reaktor 250 for under 10 amps, 10th scale. The system is very small and does not take up to much room. The 206 can easily handle 6s batteries.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:19 PM
Tech Rookie

I consider the Dynamite Passport P1 Mini Charger to be one of the best values on the market. It's a multi-chemistry charger, which means it can charge NiMH, NiCd, and Lead Acid batteries as well as LiPo batteries. It can even charge the newest LiFe batteries that some use for receiver packs in airplanes and cars. It has a built-in balancer that handles up to 4S LiPo batteries, and can charge up to six amps.

If you need to charge multiple batteries at the same time, the Dynamite Prophet Sport Quad 50W charger is probably the best bet. Priced around $190, it has all the capabilities of the KX80, but with four independent 50W charge ports. This means you can charge up to four batteries at one time! If you need more wattage, the Dynamite Prophet Sport Quad 100W is the way to go, with four 100W charge ports. In fact, we use the 100W version as our go-to charger here in the store.

If you have large capacity batteries, large cell counts, or higher charging rates, you may want to find a charger that operates on higher wattages.