R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Radio and Electronics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics-137/)
-   -   LiPo Storage Question(s) (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/1042526-lipo-storage-question-s.html)

ExRCRacer 05-05-2019 06:35 PM

LiPo Storage Question(s)
 
Hi Guys (and gals?) -

Please don't bite my head off for asking this question. I attempted to search for the answer already in this forum and I couldn't find it.

Now, i'm sure what I'm about to ask may be in manuals for LiPo's - but I wanted to ask on the real life application.

Do you guys always keep your LiPo's in LiPo bags - even when not charging, or do you store them in other places (for example: Your transmitter case)? I ask because for years I've had them in charging bags and in turn put them into Ammo cans. I'm starting to wonder if this is really necessary as it is just another thing to carry / another thing taking up space. From what I understand, the LiPo's are at most risk during charging or prolonged exposure to high temperatures (like leaving them in a non-controlled temperature environment - e.g. Car / Garage).

Hoping for a little feedback on this. Thanks in advance!

TeamSkunkwerks 05-05-2019 07:05 PM

LIPO bag or Ammo can
 
I keep them in a LIPO bag or a metal ammo can as you mentioned.
Even if it's just another thing to haul around, I rather be safe than sorry.:D

riceball777 05-05-2019 07:33 PM

I keep them in a Lipo bag and I keep the Lipo bag in the refrigerator.

dave-man 05-06-2019 08:24 AM

Official response - keep them in lipo bags or ammo can.

Unofficial response - do as I say, not as I do. :)

EbbTide 05-06-2019 08:30 AM


Originally Posted by dave-man (Post 15444859)
Official response - keep them in lipo bags or ammo can.

Unofficial response - do as I say, not as I do. :)

+1. I keep them in the bag when I remember lol.

the rc guy 05-06-2019 08:43 AM

I keep all my LIpos or Li-ion in a old non working refrig. I travel with them in a lipo bag in a plastic 12v coolier..

Krio 05-06-2019 09:12 AM

Location and size matters. A bigger battery has a better chance of lighting its surroundings on fire.

Shorty packs on metal shelves next to a concrete wall are much lower risk than a massive 8th scale pack sitting on a wood table in a carpeted room. For me, no major combustibles nearby=lipo sack. Risk of fire spreading=battery bunker.

Xpress.. 05-06-2019 10:38 AM

I typically keep them in ammo cans. I have LiPo Sack's that go with me on road trips, but at home they're typically in the cans.

Make sure your ammo cans have a vent hole drilled in the lid.

beemerfan 05-06-2019 12:46 PM


Originally Posted by Xpress.. (Post 15444955)
I typically keep them in ammo cans. I have LiPo Sack's that go with me on road trips, but at home they're typically in the cans.

Make sure your ammo cans have a vent hole drilled in the lid.

What's the purpose of the vent hole? I've stored mine in an ammo can for years and have never done this. I'd prefer not to give a potential fire access to any oxygen. I know that lead-acid batteries need to "vent" but I've never heard a reason why LiPo would.

Roelof 05-06-2019 12:58 PM


Originally Posted by beemerfan (Post 15445027)
What's the purpose of the vent hole?

Pressure......
A bomb is a bomb because the combustion is within a narrow closed place, w/o a closed case you just see am ignition and a fire splash.

ExRCRacer 05-06-2019 05:23 PM


Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 15445032)
Pressure......
A bomb is a bomb because the combustion is within a narrow closed place, w/o a closed case you just see am ignition and a fire splash.

Do you have any suggestion how many LiPo's you should put into a can? I have (4) 4s LiPo's and (2) 2s LiPo's in the same can. Inside the can, they are all in LiPo bags, but the ammo can is full.

RClexine 05-07-2019 08:20 PM

how to store lipo battery?

1. Please read the instructions at first.

When purchase and get a box of RC kits or batteries, someone may put the batteries on the vehicle immediately and can't wait to run the cars on the track. Practicing or racing the powerful RC vehicles can bring great passion and excitement to us, but neglecting something important (Yeah, it's very easily neglected) may cause serious consequences. That is to read the instructions seriously. Don't underestimate the significance of understanding the instructions that contain various noticed tips and methods to use and maintain the batteries, especially for the beginners.

2. Please take out the battery for a long time unused.

After practicing and running the vehicle, some guys may forget or don't wanna take out the batteries and let it be in the machine all the time. Actually, this kind of habit is not appropriate and would cause great damage to the batteries. If it is not used for a long time, please take out the battery to prevent battery leakage and some other problems. And then put the batteries into the fireproof container such as a metal box for storage. Even though the appliance is turned off, the battery still has a small current output that leads to the over discharge of the battery, thus shortening the service life of the battery.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/01...g?v=1557023130
pic credit: RC Girl

3. Please store the power pack between 40-60% charge.


After using the radio control models, some people may take the batteries that have no power totally out of the vehicle and then store them directly. There are also some guys who charge the full battery and decide to race tomorrow but unfortunately, it rains and they can't run the car. So the battery is stored in full charge for a long time. All of these need to be corrected. Actually, it's not suitable to store the lipo batteries in full charge or less than 40%. The most proper charge to store is between 40-60%. I have maintained my batteries in this way for more than 20 months and the lipo works as good as the initial status.

4. Please charge and store the batteries in an appropriate environment.


As a matter of fact, the temperature is the most important factor that has a great influence on the charge and discharge performance of the batteries. The electrochemical reaction on the electrode interface that is regarded as the heart of the battery is related to the temperature. If the temperature drops, so does the electrode's reactivity rate. Given that the battery voltage remains constant and the discharge current drops, so does the battery's power output. Therefore, in order to charge effectively, it'd be better to keep the temperature in the range of 25℃. Generally, the higher the temperature is, the bigger the charge rate would be and when it reaches up to or over 45℃, the performance of battery materials would be worse and the lifespan of the battery would be shortened.

According to the IEC standard, the battery ought to be stored in the temperature of 205℃ as well as the suitable humidity is (6520)%. Generally speaking, the higher the storage temperature is, the higher the self-discharge rate of the battery would be and the lower the residual rate of the capacity would be. When the refrigerator is in the temperature between 0℃ and 10 ℃, it 'd be the best place to store the lipo battery.

ExRCRacer 05-08-2019 08:59 AM


Originally Posted by RClexine (Post 15445793)
how to store lipo battery?

1. Please read the instructions at first.


When purchase and get a box of RC kits or batteries, someone may put the batteries on the vehicle immediately and can't wait to run the cars on the track. Practicing or racing the powerful RC vehicles can bring great passion and excitement to us, but neglecting something important (Yeah, it's very easily neglected) may cause serious consequences. That is to read the instructions seriously. Don't underestimate the significance of understanding the instructions that contain various noticed tips and methods to use and maintain the batteries, especially for the beginners.2. Please take out the battery for a long time unused.

After practicing and running the vehicle, some guys may forget or don't wanna take out the batteries and let it be in the machine all the time. Actually, this kind of habit is not appropriate and would cause great damage to the batteries. If it is not used for a long time, please take out the battery to prevent battery leakage and some other problems. And then put the batteries into the fireproof container such as a metal box for storage. Even though the appliance is turned off, the battery still has a small current output that leads to the over discharge of the battery, thus shortening the service life of the battery.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/01...g?v=1557023130
pic credit: RC Girl3. Please store the power pack between 40-60% charge.


After using the radio control models, some people may take the batteries that have no power totally out of the vehicle and then store them directly. There are also some guys who charge the full battery and decide to race tomorrow but unfortunately, it rains and they can't run the car. So the battery is stored in full charge for a long time. All of these need to be corrected. Actually, it's not suitable to store the lipo batteries in full charge or less than 40%. The most proper charge to store is between 40-60%. I have maintained my batteries in this way for more than 20 months and the lipo works as good as the initial status.4. Please charge and store the batteries in an appropriate environment.


As a matter of fact, the temperature is the most important factor that has a great influence on the charge and discharge performance of the batteries. The electrochemical reaction on the electrode interface that is regarded as the heart of the battery is related to the temperature. If the temperature drops, so does the electrode's reactivity rate. Given that the battery voltage remains constant and the discharge current drops, so does the battery's power output. Therefore, in order to charge effectively, it'd be better to keep the temperature in the range of 25℃. Generally, the higher the temperature is, the bigger the charge rate would be and when it reaches up to or over 45℃, the performance of battery materials would be worse and the lifespan of the battery would be shortened.

According to the IEC standard, the battery ought to be stored in the temperature of 205℃ as well as the suitable humidity is (6520)%. Generally speaking, the higher the storage temperature is, the higher the self-discharge rate of the battery would be and the lower the residual rate of the capacity would be. When the refrigerator is in the temperature between 0℃ and 10 ℃, it 'd be the best place to store the lipo battery.

How is any of this relevant what-so-ever to my initial question? I merely asked how people are storing their LiPo's - in LiPo bags? Not? In bags inside of another container? How many in the same container?

Appreciate cut and paste from a LiPo safety manual - and not to be mean - but your post didn't address a single thing I'm asking about LOL. If you're looking to boost your post numbers to be able to sell stuff - there's an easier way: Just become an Elite Member and pay the $2.99.

Furadi 05-08-2019 04:20 PM

People get really worked up about lipo fires but in my professional experience they don't just vent for no reason. I don't take any special precautions with mine anymore.

frewster 05-08-2019 04:25 PM

Me too. I only recently got a lipo bag after years of running. All I do is use common sense - don't keep them in a hot car, don't over or under volt them, make sure they aren't physically damaged etc.


All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:37 PM.

Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.3.6
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.