Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Accidental polarity inversion >

Accidental polarity inversion

Like Tree4Likes

Accidental polarity inversion

Old 04-28-2019, 11:00 PM
Tech Champion

For a few bucks you have a sensor tester

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/brushless-motor-sensor-hall-tester.html?___store=en_us

Old 05-01-2019, 06:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Swapped ESCs last night and now it's working fine. I guess it was either the H-bridge or the ESC sensor port that blew.

Thanks all for the support!
Old 05-02-2019, 07:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monsterjamman24 View Post
There are two types of people who run bullet plugs, those that have plugged a battery in wrong and those that will. It happens bummer but in the end we are all human and make mistakes.

When I did it myself the esc worked ok that day, however at the next event when I turned the esc on it popped.
Cut down one ESC wire so it can't reach the far side of the battery?
Bry195 likes this.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:25 AM
Tech Initiate

When the sensor cable is disconnected the ESC no longer knows which position the motor is in so it'll just sequence through all the phases from a standstill. That probably made the blown ESC work from a standstill as it wouldn't get 'hung up' on the dead phase.

Originally Posted by jon003 View Post
Cut down one ESC wire so it can't reach the far side of the battery?
OP already did that, but plugged in the battery when it wasn't in the battery bay for testing which results in both wires reaching.

Personally i use HXTs which avoids that problem although there is still the potential for having a brain fart and connecting two batteries together!
Old 05-05-2019, 05:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nbTMM View Post
When the sensor cable is disconnected the ESC no longer knows which position the motor is in so it'll just sequence through all the phases from a standstill. That probably made the blown ESC work from a standstill as it wouldn't get 'hung up' on the dead phase.
Will running the blown ESC without a sensor wire cause any harm to the motor? I thought in setting up that ESC on an old chassis I got a let my wife play with it at the track. She insists I shouldn't spend money on a new ESC because it's not something she will get hooked doing it.

The motor is a team scream 17.5. I know it will cog cog lower rpms, but can that damage anything?
Old 09-09-2019, 07:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Does anyone know if Hobbywing can fix the blown esc. I know it was human error but does the company have an in-house repair department or will they just tell you to buy a new unit? I know when Novak was still in business they have an in-house repair department but with chips and parts being so small that the naked eye can't even see it would be kinda hard to fix stuff inside them little things.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 254 (100%+)

The "In House" is back in China.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:07 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by m3rcfh View Post
The worst part is that I do have all the countermeasures to avoid this, positive wire is red and won't reach the negative. But I held the battery in my hand for a quick test of the servo - quick test that is probably going to cost me a new ESC
Thanks
Andy his wire is physically red.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:09 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by AndyArdmore View Post
From what I've seen, both the ESC and Sensors in the motors can be fried if polarity is reversed. The ESC provides voltage to the motor's sensors, and if reversed, it could fry those sensors in the motor itself. This could cause problems, even after replacing the ESC.

Its a darn shame that polarity protection circuits, which could be implemented in ESCs, would incur significant performance losses due to voltage losses, or incur significant cost increases to mitigate.

Put red paint on the wires and plugs to indicate polarity. 10 cents of paint could save $300 of ESC and motor. You gotta pay attention, or pay.
On the justock the wires come as red and black so it was just accidental flipping of the wires. Also, the new XR10 Pro G2 is reverse polarity protected which is really cool. I've heard that there is more resistance when you do that (I'm no expert myself) but thats their flagship esc so I guess it should be fine?