Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
I need a new 1/8 Scale Combo / HMX, Muchmore or Reds? >

I need a new 1/8 Scale Combo / HMX, Muchmore or Reds?

I need a new 1/8 Scale Combo / HMX, Muchmore or Reds?

Old 04-08-2019, 01:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Default I need a new 1/8 Scale Combo / HMX, Muchmore or Reds?

Hello Guys,

I need a new Combo for my E817. Currently I'm running a XR8 SCT with a 1900kv Motor but I have huge temperature problems at the ESC.
Gearing and Motor-Temps are good but I am running on Astro-Tracks so my ESC is stressed very hard.
I thought the XR8 plus would be a good choice, but is to big to fit between my Motor and the Servo.
So I look around and found three other ESCs/ Combos.
Maybe some of your are running the Reds Z8, Muchmore Fleta M8 V2 or the Performa HMX Combo and can share some experience.
Thanks for your help.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:52 PM
Tech Regular

prob not an hmx. Its more a 10th scale and people have had bad luck running it in 1/8. Muchmore is pretty good
Old 04-08-2019, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

He’s talking about the new performa hmx 1/8 esc. I just got mine today. The problem with it is that is that you can ONLY use performa motors with it. it will not function with other brand motors. It is smaller than the hobbywing xr8 pro but it has 2 big capacitors that have to be mounted somewhere and I am trying to figure out where to mount them. Kind of a pita.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Get an XR8 Plus... the SCT in Truggy is asking for a lot. Are you running a long can motor (690?) Of course that Performa is going to be exclusive, look who is involved in its Development, Adrien Bertin (Orion) ! Just another way to rebadge / engineer a product. What about the LRP iX8 v2?
Old 04-09-2019, 02:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi Guys,
thank you very much for you answers.
@rcbuggy88 yes I mean the Performa HMX. I like my 1/10 Muchmore Combo, so good to know.
@b121774 yes the external capacitors are sometime heavy to handle. Maybe you can tell me you experience with this combo? I know this Motor-Problem. I think a new Motor isn't a big deal when you buy a 300$ ESC.
@1/8 IC Fan I was running the SCT in a Buggy. It is a 690 Motor but the Shaft is very long. A good friend of mine is running the LRP iX8 V2. It is a very powerful ESC but I don't like the BEC and the Lipo Cut-Off. I prefer a higher Cut-Off Voltage then 3.2V with HV-Lipos.

Maybe I can get a very good offer for the Reds Combo to test it.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Also check out RC Concept!
Old 04-09-2019, 05:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Recently I just bought a new team zombie fan for my XR8 SCT. I put the fan as it suppose to be, pushing the air into the esc. After 15min run, I found out the esc temp is almost as hot as the motor temp, which is around 170deg. And then, I let the esc cooldown and flip the fan upside down. Making the fan sucking the heat out and away from the esc. After 15min run, I found the temp is much lower. Around 120deg. Maybe u can try this before opting for other ESC.

Just a heads up... Reds 1/8 esc is a rebrand esc from ztw beast pro 220A
Old 04-25-2019, 03:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Short Update to my Combo Choice.
I got a price for the Reds Combo at my LHS but it was to expensive in my opinion. So I invest a little bit more and ordert the HMX Combo. I know it is extrem expensive but the price is nearly the same like a Tekin or Reedy Combo here in Germany and I like to try something new.
The Muchmore ESC is still interesting for me but I want to test the HMX first. I hope it is the right choice...
Can‘t wait to test it.

@1/8 IC Fan You mean the Rc Concept Motor?

@Skaar_rc thanks for your fan Tip. I don’t know why but I like it to kill my fans. Sometimes they don’t even work after one Battery. I think it is the very rough track. I don’t like the feeling to race with a buggy that is only successful if the fan work after a 15min Race. Otherwise my car will stop after 8-9min and my race is over.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What are you doing to your fans? The fan on my SkyRC TS150 has survived years of racing with no problems.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:47 PM
Tech Adept

I have the muchmore fleta m8 v2 with 2100kv muchmore motor and very happy. A lot of the guys at my track comment how smooth it is. This thing will crawl no problem. It’s probably not as developed as the 1/10 scale muchmore esc. For example you can’t use the software to program, you can only use the box. EC Kim from muchmore is very helpful despite the language barrier. It doesn’t seem as ballistic as the HW or Tekin but I haven’t turned up the settings either as I’m not actually sure what boost and turbo is for.... that’s the stuff of 1/10 or so I thought.... muchmore doesn’t give much insight there in the manual.
i had a Team Orion speedy and liked it. The customer service however was non-existent. That’s the only thing that scares me with Performa, same crap different color.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Please make sure you are running 10 gauge wires from battery to the esc. When you are pushing that much current, the esc needs all the help it can get.