R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Radio and Electronics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics-137/)
-   -   Possibly the Greatest VALUE 1/10 - 1/8 Servo of All Time??? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/1040406-possibly-greatest-value-1-10-1-8-servo-all-time.html)

wallacengineeri 04-04-2019 11:24 AM

Possibly the Greatest VALUE 1/10 - 1/8 Servo of All Time???

I'm wondering if anyone has used these AGF-RC Servos before. The specs seem incredible for the price and it's got every feature you could possibly want in a bashing servo. So let me just give you the headlines on what you get for just $80:

- 380 oz-in torque at just 6.0V
- 0.10sec/60° speed at just 6.0V
- 4.8V, 6.0V, 7.4V, and 8.4V compatible
- IP67 Waterproof Rated
- All Steel Gears
- All Alloy Case
- Brushless Motor

With specs like these, this Servo is on par with some very serious $100+ Racing Servos such as the ProTek RC 170SBL but this one is even waterproof!

I'm considering either this or a Power HD Storm 4 Servo for my new Version 4.0 Arrma Kraton. Honestly its a really tough call. I know the Storm 4 isnt waterproof but Ive got a bottle of nice conformal coating so that is not an issue.

AGF-RC Servo Model A80BHSW:
www.amazon.com/dp/B07MDWTRRX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_jGKPCbVR0BYST

Roelof 04-04-2019 12:08 PM

You think?

Last I have bought some of these:

Much better specs for a much lower price.

wallacengineeri 04-04-2019 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 15425966)
You think?

Last I have bought some of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GoolRC-Perf.../dp/B00YWLS096

Much better specs for a much lower price.

Those do look like decent specs, but I have to disagree fora few reasons.

- Firstly, it says its been discontinued and is no longer available. How much were they?

- This seems like the much weaker, yet high speed version of the AGF servo (AGF 33KG @ 7.4V VS GodRC 25KG @ 7.4V) so the GodRC would be a better option for a lighter vehicle like a stock plastic 1/8 Buggy or 1/10 RC

- The Top Plate looks like plastic (VERY BAD for bashers)

- The type of metal used in the gears is not stated but Im sure if it was that cheap then they are probably made of a weakee grade metal than the AGF's Hardened Steel (Similar to Hot Racing Pinion Gears)

- Not Waterproof (HUGE Negative)

I would say the GodRC Servo would be a good overall value at around $40

1/8 IC Fan 04-04-2019 12:44 PM

Ecopower 120T if you want to gamble

wallacengineeri 04-04-2019 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan (Post 15426000)

Ick lol no way those things are terrible. I want a nice high-end servo, planning on making my Kraton V4 my Ultimate RC (M2C Chassis, Voltage Hobbies Shock Towers and chassis braces, RPM Arms, Hot Racing Transmission Cases, ECT)

Roelof 04-04-2019 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by wallacengineeri (Post 15425998)
Those do look like decent specs, but I have to disagree fora few reasons.

- Firstly, it says its been discontinued and is no longer available. How much were they?

- This seems like the much weaker, yet high speed version of the AGF servo (AGF 33KG @ 7.4V VS GodRC 25KG @ 7.4V) so the GodRC would be a better option for a lighter vehicle like a stock plastic 1/8 Buggy or 1/10 RC

- The Top Plate looks like plastic (VERY BAD for bashers)

- The type of metal used in the gears is not stated but Im sure if it was that cheap then they are probably made of a weakee grade metal than the AGF's Hardened Steel (Similar to Hot Racing Pinion Gears)

- Not Waterproof (HUGE Negative)

I would say the GodRC Servo would be a good overall value at around $40

Right.....
20 years ago we were running the same cars with 6 to 8kg non-water proof servo's with a speed of 0.14 sec in plastic cases with plastc gears and now -even with much better specs- it is not good? And there are more shops selling this servo, and I did pay 34 euro a piece w/o any shipping costs.

Making waterproof is easy to do, plastic case has never been an issue, more than 20kg force is just overkill and I can go on.....
But hey, people like to have the highest rated numbers so go ahead!

wallacengineeri 04-04-2019 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 15426015)
Right.....
20 years ago we were running the same cars with 6 to 8kg non-water proof servo's with a speed of 0.14 sec in plastic cases with plastc gears and now -even with much better specs- it is not good? And there are more shops selling this servo, and I did pay 34 euro a piece w/o any shipping costs.

Making waterproof is easy to do, plastic case has never been an issue, more than 20kg force is just overkill and I can go on.....
But hey, people like to have the highest rated numbers so go ahead!

I never said its a bad servo, it just seems like it might not be a good fit for me. I plan on running tons of aluminum upgrades and huge MX38 Badlands tires. I want to build a truck that can be dropped off a 5-story building and break NOTHING. I need a super tough servo with tons of torque to move tons of weight and big tires. But 34 euros and free shipping isnt bad for that GodRC one, really.

RC*PHREAK 04-04-2019 01:38 PM

that does look like a nice servo. 25T?

wallacengineeri 04-04-2019 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK (Post 15426035)
that does look like a nice servo. 25T?

Thats the one piece of info I can't seem to find so Ive asked the question on the Amazon product page. I woult be surprised if it wasnt. 25T is the standard after all

Soyer 04-04-2019 01:58 PM

For $80 I would go with a savox atleast you have one year warranty with a USA distributor that hasn’t given me trouble when sending servos back

wallacengineeri 04-04-2019 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Soyer (Post 15426050)
For $80 I would go with a savox atleast you have one year warranty with a USA distributor that hasn’t given me trouble when sending servos back

THIS is a VERY GOOD POINT! With a Savox, I don't have any worries for 12 whole months. The negative being that no Savox ANYWHERE NEAR this price can hold a candle to this servo's features or performance. Maybe try the AGF servo once and then if it breaks within a year, just go name brand like Savox or Hitec from then on?

Roelof 04-04-2019 03:24 PM

But no Savox in that pricerange comes with a metal case, that huge power and full water proof as it is with the in the topic start mentioned servo.

We know that those are overrated specs and that we want other qualities than only a lot for less (and it isn't even that low priced) but the topicstarter thinks it is the best value servo there is

wallacengineeri 04-04-2019 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 15426094)
But no Savox in that pricerange comes with a metal case, that huge power and full water proof as it is with the in the topic start mentioned servo.

We know that those are overrated specs and that we want other qualities than only a lot for less (and it isn't even that low priced) but the topicstarter thinks it is the best value servo there is

​​​​​​Well the Savox SW-1211SG is a fairly decent option with waterproofing, steel gears, and digital control. Its got a aluminum middle case but the top and bottom are plastic. The bottom doesn't matter but the top really does. Ive broken several screw mounts and plastic top plates in the past. Plus, to get the amount of torque I need for this project (Minimum 300 oz-in), it needs bo be run at 7.4V, which the stock Arrma ESC cannot do. On 6.0V, this Savox only has the same 208 oz-in of torque that the stock Arrma ADS-15 servo has. So to make this servo work for the project, I would need a new ESC. Everyone agrees that the Stock Servos are mediocre and need upgrading.

I am planning on getting a MAX6 ESC for the truck eventually but that won't be for awhile.

The AGF specs are probably slightly inflated but so is every other Servo. On top of that you only get the rated speed under no load.

There is one video of the AGF servo on YouTube. From a random RC Enthusiast channel, it shows blistering performance on an Arrma Talion V3 on stock ESC (6.0V/ 3.0A BEC): https://youtu.be/0bzQzG2Vx

That kind of performance on just 6.0V is no joke. Its certainly on par with how my old ProTek 170SBL performed in my old Serpent Cobra Racing Truggy.

1/8 IC Fan 04-04-2019 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by wallacengineeri (Post 15426013)
Ick lol no way those things are terrible. I want a nice high-end servo, planning on making my Kraton V4 my Ultimate RC (M2C Chassis, Voltage Hobbies Shock Towers and chassis braces, RPM Arms, Hot Racing Transmission Cases, ECT)

If you want high end, dont associate low end! You get what you pay for. Get a Protek 160t or 170tbl And never look the other way! You already bought an overpriced M2C chassis, why stop at a cheap servo????

wallacengineeri 04-04-2019 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan (Post 15426142)
If you want high end, dont associate low end! You get what you pay for. Get a Protek 160t or 170tbl And never look the other way! You already bought an overpriced M2C chassis, why stop at a cheap servo????

Chassis is a NECESSITY for bashers on these Kratons. The stock chassis simply bends way too easily. Same with shock towers and RPM arms. However the electronics should be mid-tier so they arent super expensive to replace when you break them. Maybe I could find a happy medium and maybe spend $100-$110 on a nice black edition savox so then I have a warranty for if it breaks? Then I can just waterproof the exterior myself with globs of conformal coating so its warranty-legal.

Roelof 04-04-2019 11:05 PM

Sounds a bit like the RC drift scene over here. Those guys can buy Tamiya TRF kits and other high priced competition cars because they look good and finally controll them with cheap GT2 transmitters while with drift a good control and felling is very important.

wallacengineeri 04-05-2019 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 15426285)
Sounds a bit like the RC drift scene over here. Those guys can buy Tamiya TRF kits and other high priced competition cars because they look good and finally controll them with cheap GT2 transmitters while with drift a good control and felling is very important.

Well Ive got a Futaba 4PV so high end radio covered there.

I was just searching other name brand servos and came across a decent idea. What do you guys think of the MKS X5 HBL 550 Servo? Ive never owned an MKS Servo before. The entire case seems to be Aluminum, its got the speed and torque I want, its brushless, it has a one year warranty, and its $100. I could coat the servo in conformal coating minus the heat dissapation fins, and pack a small amount of marine grease into the horn opening without disassembling the case and voiding the warranty. Hows that for a compromise?

The only reserve I have on the MKS Servo is the Titanium Gearing. Isn't Titanium a softer metal that would put the gears at risk of breaking teeth, especially under hard bashing conditions? But Ive heard MKS is excellent so maybe I should just disregard my concern, especially because of the warranty.

MKS X5 HBL 550 @ AMain Hobbies

rustyus 04-05-2019 03:28 AM

Everybody has their own opinion on what value means to them. Before shelling out that kind of money for an AGF-RC servo, I would need to have replacement gears available to me when/if the time ever came. That's just me though.

Is there replacement gears available for that brand of servos? I didn't find any.

billdelong 04-05-2019 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan (Post 15426000)

I've heard nothing but good things about these servos, with some pro drivers running them in the ET410 which is known to kill many mid grade servos in one battery pack!

What I like most about EcoPower is replacement gear sets are under $15.... where can I get replacement gear sets for these other brands of budget servos?

That is my #1 requirement before I buy another budget servo, without any replacement gear sets, I will pass on them.

wallacengineeri 04-05-2019 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by rustyus (Post 15426324)
Everybody has their own opinion on what value means to them. Before shelling out that kind of money for an AGF-RC servo, I would need to have replacement gears available to me when/if the time ever came. That's just me though.

Is there replacement gears available for that brand of servos? I didn't find any.

Ya, unfortunately there really aren't any replacement gear sets for the AGF Servo. Most off-brand servos have no support of any kind so this isn't surprising.

Perhaps because of the Hardened Steel Gears, you wouldn't ever need to replace the gears in the AGF Servo, but I guess we will never find out, as I will happily spend $20 more for a high-end, name brand MKS 550 servo with a one-year warranty.

Skaar_rc 04-07-2019 10:58 PM

If u wanna go value for money. I would recommend u go for the powerhd storm 3. Compare to storm 4, it got steel gears.

If u wanna go cheap. Go for jx ecoboost... The gear is quite strong and the price for a servo is similar to high end named brand servo gear set.

wallacengineeri 04-08-2019 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Skaar_rc (Post 15427787)
If u wanna go value for money. I would recommend u go for the powerhd storm 3. Compare to storm 4, it got steel gears.

If u wanna go cheap. Go for jx ecoboost... The gear is quite strong and the price for a servo is similar to high end named brand servo gear set.

Oh thats cool I didnt know the storm 3 went to steel gears. Thanks for that. That makes my decision a little tougher lol. The MKS servo is sweet but has titanium gears. Do you know if PowerHD Storms have a warranty?

I might have to try that cheap servo one day if my nice servo fails because I wont wont to pay for another one.

OverGeared 04-08-2019 05:05 AM

Yes spline is 25T

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rct...db53304985.jpg

Originally Posted by wallacengineeri (Post 15426046)
Thats the one piece of info I can't seem to find so Ive asked the question on the Amazon product page. I woult be surprised if it wasnt. 25T is the standard after all

Thiis servo's spline is 25T, just scroll through the images on your given link.

wallacengineeri 04-10-2019 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by OverGeared (Post 15427865)
Thiis servo's spline is 25T, just scroll through the images on your given link.

Sweet thanks for clearing that up for me. By the way guys, AFG-RC finally answered my question on Amazon. They say that they are now officially offering 1 year warranties on their servos.

Im sure that actually getting the RMA would be a real pain but it does make the servo very much worth it. VS the MKS X5 HBL 550, it has slight advantages such as stonger steel gears vs titanium ones, ever so slightly better performance (but in practice Im sure nobody could actually tell the difference), and waterproofing.

I think these advantages, combined with a similar warranty and $20 less price warrants a serious consideration for the AGF servo. I ordered the Kraton yesterday so Ive gotta make up my mind quick...

Ugh... I hate such tough choices... lol

platgof 05-13-2019 07:39 PM

Savox 2274 gets my nod for under $100.

Skaar_rc 05-17-2019 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by wallacengineeri (Post 15427819)
Oh thats cool I didnt know the storm 3 went to steel gears. Thanks for that. That makes my decision a little tougher lol. The MKS servo is sweet but has titanium gears. Do you know if PowerHD Storms have a warranty?

I might have to try that cheap servo one day if my nice servo fails because I wont wont to pay for another one.

According to their website, they offer 2 years warranty.

http://www.chd.hk/service.aspx

Skaar_rc 05-23-2019 07:50 PM

Guys, I took the bullet and bought the servo directly from their sales rep. Will arrive to me around next week. I will open a new thread for the review of this servo.

However I did not choose the one in original post. I pick a torqier one. Also, it uses magnetic encorder instead of potentiometer. Similar with tekin servo.

You can check the specs below

​​​​
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rct...786b73eeb5.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rct...985e6b64ff.jpg

​​​​

frewster 05-24-2019 01:10 AM

How much was it and can you share your source? The specs look good.

Skaar_rc 05-24-2019 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by frewster (Post 15454517)
How much was it and can you share your source? The specs look good.

I paid $79 free shipping. You can get it from here. But u cannot find the one i bought it that page. U need to send an email to them or you can contact their sales rep on facebook. You can directly contact her here

frewster 05-24-2019 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Skaar_rc (Post 15454539)
I paid $79 free shipping. You can get it from here. But u cannot find the one i bought it that page. U need to send an email to them or you can contact their sales rep on facebook. You can directly contact her here

Thank you. Those pictures that rep posted of thousands of servos in production is great.

Skaar_rc 05-28-2019 04:39 PM

To anyone that interested with AGF servo.

I do not hv the servo yet. But from this video, we can see the construction of the servo is very good. The board is totally covered with conformal coating which justify their claim of have IP67 water and dust resistance rating.

Btw, the one in the video is a lower spec than what I hv bought.

frewster 05-28-2019 05:27 PM

Have you gotten yours yet?

Skaar_rc 05-29-2019 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by frewster (Post 15456668)
Have you gotten yours yet?

Not yet. I cant complaint much for free shipping. Usually it took around 7-21 days. Its only hv been 4 days. I will make a new thread and post the picture of the servo, inside out.

Skaar_rc 07-27-2019 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by NICOLE (Post 15485900)
May I know where did you buy ? Directly from agfrc store?

Directly from u. :smile:
I got the servo now and its running really well

Skaar_rc 07-27-2019 04:24 PM

If anyone interested to read my initial thought about agf servo, u can read it here

wallacengineeri 03-26-2020 02:38 AM

Wow, way to go notifications, I completely forgot about this thread. So I have the AGF servo and its not the best. See the thing is, it does have really great torque as well as insane speed, but theres no force holding in in place. Its hard to explain, but basically it turns the truck like crazy, but if you push on the tires it just goes one way or the other quite easily, meaning that hitting bumps is a nightmare and throws your steering off and you actually have to control the truck to fix it, it doesn't re-center on its own. Ill be getting a Reefs RC 444 or 555 for my new build

billdelong 03-26-2020 08:57 AM

Which AGF servo are you running and in which vehicle? Are you racing or bashing?

I have been testing the A80BHM in my TEKNO SCT410.3 and have roughly 8+ race days so far where I am extremely impressed with the smoothness and quality of the servo, by far the best servo I have had the pleasure of running to date. No centering issues at all.

In the past when I have had centering issues, I typically have been able to trace back the problem to binding issues in my linkages or bent posts, etc...

wallacengineeri 03-26-2020 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by billdelong (Post 15615552)
Which AGF servo are you running and in which vehicle? Are you racing or bashing?

I have been testing the A80BHM in my TEKNO SCT410.3 and have roughly 8+ race days so far where I am extremely impressed with the smoothness and quality of the servo, by far the best servo I have had the pleasure of running to date. No centering issues at all.

In the past when I have had centering issues, I typically have been able to trace back the problem to binding issues in my linkages or bent posts, etc...

Im running the same servo - A80-BHSW