Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Budget 7.5t motor and ESC >

Budget 7.5t motor and ESC

Budget 7.5t motor and ESC

Old 03-14-2019, 10:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Budget 7.5t motor and ESC

Hey!
I知 about to upgrade my 13.5t motor and ESC to 7.5t or something in that range. But I知 on a budget. About $100-150. Can I find somewhat good set of sensored motor and ESC for mod buggy class.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:49 AM
Tech Regular

Both for 150?
​​​​​​If you want to buy new try the Hobbyking Gen II 120A ESC. I think they are rebranded Toros. For motor I would buy used. If you want to buy new maybe SkyRC or Hobbyking too...
Old 03-15-2019, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

SkyRC has no affiliation with HobbyWing whatsoever, SkyRC/Toro brand ESC's have a really bad reputation, I personally choose to stay away from these ESC's.

The X-Car brand of ESC's through HobbyKing are rebrands of HobbyWing (compatible programming cards too) but use very low quality components and tend to last maybe a year or so before they start to fail (with no warranty support), for the price they will get you by until you can save up for a higher quality ESC. I personally would stick with HobbyWing branded electronics, what I like about HobbyWing is that they offer deep discounts for any ESC's that fail outside warranty, often close to 50% off

To stay in budget, and still get decent quality that will stand the test of time, then I would consider a used V3.1 like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-X...oAAOSwuz1cdIq8

As far as motors go, they aren't as quality dependent, especially for 7.5T mod motors, there are tons of budget brands on the net to consider, Turnigy TrackStar is decent, I have also had good luck with HobbyStar motors too.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Thank you for your replies! I知 thinking going with the Trackstar 120a ESC and the Trackstar 7.5t motor. One of my buddies at the track has this combo and he has been happy with it.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:14 PM
Tech Adept

I've found Trackstar to be a decent budget system. I was running the 80a turbo ESC in my stock buggies and was impressed for the price. One died after 2 seasons which I was fine with as it was USD40 which is a third the price of a brand name, and the other is now in my sons buggy. Their motors are too slow fot stock classes but would be fine in mod.