Search
Like Tree12Likes

Sanwa MX6 vs. Futaba 3PV

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 10:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Sanwa MX6 vs. Futaba 3PV

I race 1/10 buggies on indoor clay and was wondering if anybody has experience with both of these radios and can give some insight. Both radios seem very good for the entry level racer like myself and especially with an attractive price point.

I keep hearing Futaba and Sanwa have really fast response times. My current radio system is the Flysky FS GT5. Do you think I would even notice a difference if I switched to the Sanwa or Futaba? Or should I save my money and keep what I have for now?

I have held both and both radios feel very good in my hands with nice steering wheel feel/feedback.

Thanks for any insight
Old 03-03-2019, 02:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Teeyo
I race 1/10 buggies on indoor clay and was wondering if anybody has experience with both of these radios and can give some insight. Both radios seem very good for the entry level racer like myself and especially with an attractive price point.

I keep hearing Futaba and Sanwa have really fast response times. My current radio system is the Flysky FS GT5. Do you think I would even notice a difference if I switched to the Sanwa or Futaba? Or should I save my money and keep what I have for now?

I have held both and both radios feel very good in my hands with nice steering wheel feel/feedback.

Thanks for any insight

and

Teeyo likes this.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:30 PM
Bri
Tech Regular

How is the Flysky GT5 working for you? It seems to be a solid radio.

As far as the MX6 vs the 3PV, I prefer the MX6. The 3PV has the trigger at a weird angle. Both are really good radios so it's more of a feel thing.

Brian
Old 03-03-2019, 02:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Neither the 3PV or MX6 have the Super Response capabilities. That will be on the higher end models. I can say this, my son raced with the MX-V which is basically the same as the new MX6. For a little more id suggest the MT-S or the new Futaba 4PM. Their menus alone make it a much better choice. The Basic menus in those radios are almost too Basic, and can easily be accidentally misadjusted.

Better yet, there are a few used MT-S radios here on rctech that are a bargain!
Old 03-03-2019, 10:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Nice videos RazorRC! In fact, your Flysky GT5 video helped me decide towards getting that radio! It is a great radio especially for the price. I honesty can’t believe how good it is and the features it has for $70. Not to mention the receivers are dirt cheap to buy extras too! I just guess I get caught up in hearing about the speed of Futaba and Sanwa that it got me thinking, maybe I should try them for racing?

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
Neither the 3PV or MX6 have the Super Response capabilities. That will be on the higher end models. I can say this, my son raced with the MX-V which is basically the same as the new MX6. For a little more id suggest the MT-S or the new Futaba 4PM. Their menus alone make it a much better choice. The Basic menus in those radios are almost too Basic, and can easily be accidentally misadjusted.

Better yet, there are a few used MT-S radios here on rctech that are a bargain!
Yeah maybe I should just keep what I have for now and go with the higher end stuff later on. I will say I have been eyeballing the Futaba 4pm and that looks very nice!
Old 03-03-2019, 10:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bri
How is the Flysky GT5 working for you? It seems to be a solid radio.

As far as the MX6 vs the 3PV, I prefer the MX6. The 3PV has the trigger at a weird angle. Both are really good radios so it's more of a feel thing.

Brian
I am honestly amazed at how good the GT5 is, especially for the $70 price tag and also the receivers are very cheap for extras which is nice too! There’s nothing wrong with it at all, I just am caught up in wanting a fast response radio system for racing but I don’t even know if I would be able to tell a difference if I did switch. This radio doesn’t feel slow at all. But I have nothing to compare it to.

The only thing about the radio I dont like is the steering wheel pad isn’t glued to the wheel or anything. It doesn’t slip or anything but I just didn’t like that so I epoxied it to the wheel. Otherwise it’s hard to beat this radio for the price point I think.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I don't have any data, but always felt like the Futaba is the fastest, and the Sanwa the slowest. I'd guess the GT5 is at least as fast or faster than the MX-6. Personally I don't think it's worth it to "upgrade" from the GT5 to the 3PV or the MX-6. The Futaba has much worse ergonomics, and the Sanwa is not a very good radio (slower, incompatible and expensive receivers, limited adjustments) for the price.
Teeyo likes this.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

dude! You got a $70 radio. It ain't much compared to other equipment. I have a Flysky FS GT5 and had to stop using it due to it goes nuts whenever you add more than 38% steering exponential. Now have the Sanwa MX-6 and safely say that the response rate is sooo much better. And I'm just an old timer so my reflexes shouldn't have noticed the difference. But I did.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 81 (99%+)

I'm not sure about the updated flysky stuff but when I first start racing 5 years ago no one could use them because they would glitch or make others remotes glitch

And I would stay away from the MX6 it's fairly new and the receivers aren't abundantly out in lots 4 sale like the mxv
Teeyo likes this.

Last edited by Goof; 03-06-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:24 PM
Bri
Tech Regular

I have raced with the Sanwa MX-V for about 3 years and have won a lot of races with it. It's a solid radio and has all the important adjustments. The newer MX-6 has been out about 6 months now and the receivers are readily available. My only complaint with the MX-6 would be that the extra receivers run about $45 each.

With all that being said, I'm not sure you will notice much of a difference in performance when compared to the FlySky GT5.

Brian
Teeyo likes this.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:11 PM
Tech Regular

I've only used the 3PV, so cant compare it to the MX6. But I will say aside from ergonomic peculiarities, the 3PV is a great radio. From what I've been told and read, it is a "faster" feeling radio than the MX6. But the erogs may make that moot point. You'd need to hold one. I modded my trigger with some foam weather stripping and some tape on the handle and it made a massive difference so it is adaptable.

I honestly think you should should probably be looking at radios in the next tier up from those two however. The Sanwa MTS is a fantastic radio and on a level playing field with most upper end race radios, just stripped down to the basics. This is a plus in my opinion. Receivers are also not that much more than the completion if you hunt around for bargains and dont need the best ones Sanwa offer. Can be had from $40 to $70.

The 4PM is also worth looking at. A system to really grow into if you want to explore the SR Response servos down the line. Also with the new US service center, very easy to get technical assistance or warranty work done if needed.
Teeyo likes this.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 81 (99%+)

Used Mx6 rx on not in lots for sale on rctech is what I meant
Old 03-06-2019, 08:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Have not had any issues with my Flysky whatsoever. From what I hear the older radios or even some of the lower end Flysky radios can have issues but this one has been perfect and others online/YouTube say the same. Fantastic radio for minimalistic people like myself.

I have been eyeballing the new Futaba 4PM and it looks really nice but is quite pricey. What would be the advantages of having such a high end radio? I don’t think I would want to spend the money to upgrade to futaba SR servos.....

-So that leaves faster response even still than what I’m using now.

-More tuning or adjustability options probably.

-Telemetry- which leads me to my next question. What telemetry options are most of you all using? I imagine it could get quite expensive and weigh your car down with all the different sensors?

-Better quality/ergonomics.

Anything else I’m missing that would make upgrading to a higher tier radio worth it?
Goof likes this.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You won't notice the issue with slower response until you try a much faster unit and then try going back to the old one.
You've picked the two class-leading brands already, so you won't go wrong either way - but if response is your reason for doing this, then you'll want to step up to either the Sanwa MT-S or the Futaba 4PM.

This thread from condac gives some data on the practical improvement over FrSky / Flysky gear:
Radio Benchmark program and results.

Of the two, best performance will likely come from the MT-S if you want to limit servo budget or use existing digital servos.
The reason is that the MT-S offers its fastest response in its SHR mode, which is compatible with many good digital servos out there.
Futaba on the other hand will require you to purchase their own servos to use the SR mode, generally expensive.

In either case, you do have to make sure the radio comes with a receiver that actually supports the faster mode - the MT-S combo comes with the RX-482 (which supports FH4T SHR and SSR), while on the 4PM combo you have to select the higher cost combination with R334SBS (supports SR). If you buy the cheaper 4PM with R304 package it won't support the SR mode.

In both cases, you need to a) make sure your RX and servos are compatible with the faster response mode, and then b) actually select that mode, usually requiring a re-bind with the receiver afterwards.

To answer your other questions - the functional value is mostly in the response and reduced latency.
Other adjustments / settings, ergonomic features, fancy displays, telemetry etc add minimal functional benefit.
Telemetry is nice to troubleshoot things or analyse behaviour (eg. BEC voltage droop with higher power servos), but again no real benefit on surface vehicles.
Temperature info would be nice but you usually need different receivers to support those sensor inputs, if you really want things like that do your research as the box stock setup likely won't support it.

So my recommendations (in line with what racknpinion said):
Sanwa MT-S, RX-482
Futaba 4PM, R334SBS

As a sidenote, I'm yet to see any 3rd party test data of the actual TX/RX latency for Futaba SR in either the 4PM or 7PX.
Sanwa on the other hand has multiple published 3rd party tests, and at least so far has been ahead of Futaba in total average latency.
Personally if I was spending the extra for the 4PM/R334 combo, I'd be waiting for some 3rd party latency data.
Teeyo and vegas7o2 like this.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:38 PM
Tech Master

if you use the sanwa esc and a motor that has the temp sensor built in you dont need external sensors. you will get motor and esc temp as well as motor rpm.
Teeyo likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.