Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
icharger 406duo vs 308duo >

icharger 406duo vs 308duo

icharger 406duo vs 308duo

Old 03-01-2019, 08:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default icharger 406duo vs 308duo

So I know the main difference here is the 406 is 40 amps and 6 cells max, whereas the 308 is 30 amps and 8 cells max, correct? What I am trying to understand is the "discharge" feature of both units and how it works. Does one need a resistor "bank" for high current discharging (either 40 amps or 30 amps respectively) or will the charger handle that on its on accord?
Old 03-01-2019, 09:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Both will need an external discharge bank to get the high amps discharge.

However they both can do up to 80 watts of discharge per channel without the bank. Volts * Amps = Watts
Approximately 10amps for a 2s lipo without a discharge bank.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:36 AM
Tech Regular

Would a 4010 do more without a discharge bank? Or is the discharge bank just a necessary evil with these things?
Old 03-01-2019, 12:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

How do you get an icharger 308 to discharge a 2s at 10amps without a discharge bank?
Old 03-03-2019, 12:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Monster; select discharge and change current to 10 amp. See page 19 of the 308 manual. You won't have to change any of the other default settings on that menu.

Please take into account I know of multiple users that have had problems with this discharge setting. When cycling fully charged packs the internal temperature builds during the discharge and is believed to be the reason for charger failures after prolonged cycles. The external resistor banks greatly reduce the internal heat that the unit must dissipate as all that remains is the current flowing through the control circuitry and the fans do a good job with this heat.

tpc- the 4010 will dissipate 120 watts which translates to about 15 amps on a 2 cell

Last edited by sweems; 03-03-2019 at 12:32 PM. Reason: addl info
Old 03-03-2019, 08:33 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Monster Mudder View Post
How do you get an icharger 308 to discharge a 2s at 10amps without a discharge bank?
with the internal discharge rate of 80 watts, It will hit 9.5amps easily with a freshly charged battery and ramp up to 10 amps after the battery voltage drops to under 8v,

10amps*8v=80watts
Old 03-06-2019, 05:07 AM
Tech Regular

So just FYI, we tested this out last night on a 4010 without a discharge bank. 2s pack, wasn't fully charged, but we were able to see about 29 amps or so on the readout until the voltage kept dropping. I don't know if this means it can do 40 internally or if the gauge was correct, but I did actually see it happen.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You are talking about 3 different chargers, all with different internal discharge capacity. Everything really comes down to the wattage limits of each charger, and the number of cells in the pack you are using. Furthermore, depending on how you are powering the charger you might be able to do a higher current discharge without a resistor block.

Why are you afraid of an external resistor?
Old 03-06-2019, 04:54 PM
Tech Regular

Not afraid of anything. Just want to know the specific capabilities of each one. What I was told was that the 4010 might be more so logic would dictate that the 406 might be now than the 308..etc. at the end of the day, the real reason for the question was prior to a purchase. But now that doesn’t matter as I have made a purchase of a 406. I was just commenting what I saw because it seems no one here “actually” knows or for whatever reason, is will to say in specifics.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:09 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
So just FYI, we tested this out last night on a 4010 without a discharge bank. 2s pack, wasn't fully charged, but we were able to see about 29 amps or so on the readout until the voltage kept dropping. I don't know if this means it can do 40 internally or if the gauge was correct, but I did actually see it happen.
The 4010 has a discharge rate of 130W per channel or 200W combined. To get 29amps discharge for a 2s pack on the 4010, you're probably on synchronous mode and using the full 200W to discharge. The 4010 will never hit 40amps with its internal resisters if you are discharging a 2S pack. The only way to discharge at 40 amps is to use an external resister pack or regenerative charging.

Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
Not afraid of anything. Just want to know the specific capabilities of each one. What I was told was that the 4010 might be more so logic would dictate that the 406 might be now than the 308..etc. at the end of the day, the real reason for the question was prior to a purchase. But now that doesn’t matter as I have made a purchase of a 406. I was just commenting what I saw because it seems no one here “actually” knows or for whatever reason, is will to say in specifics.

Not sure what your implying that "no one here actually knows". The questions you asked in your initial post was given to you right away by the first reply.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:02 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by disaster999 View Post
The 4010 has a discharge rate of 130W per channel or 200W combined. To get 29amps discharge for a 2s pack on the 4010, you're probably on synchronous mode and using the full 200W to discharge. The 4010 will never hit 40amps with its internal resisters if you are discharging a 2S pack. The only way to discharge at 40 amps is to use an external resister pack or regenerative charging.

Not sure what your implying that "no one here actually knows". The questions you asked in your initial post was given to you right away by the first reply.

I was more referring to my 3rd post about the 4010. My reply was not to you, but rather to the poster before. It just seemed that there isn't a ton of information on this particular subject, hence some of the questions that I and others, had. I just wanted to relate my experience for others who might also wonder. You seem to have answered my question, so thank you. I honestly don't know what "mode" it was in as I just had a pack that was charged and needed to be discharged and the guy who had the charger had never tried it before, so I told him to use that pack, but I was busy so I didn't see how he set it up.

Part of the real reason for my question is that I notice at some of the larger races, a lot of "sponsered" drivers are using the 4010. Knowing that the 406 will charge at 40 (and with the help of a bank discharge at 40), I wondered what the advantage of having a 4010 over a 406 would be. These guys are exclusively charging 2 cell packs, so having the ability to do more than 6 doesn't make much sense to me. To be honest I would have bought a 308, because I'll never charge that high anyways, but I got a good price on the 406, like $10 more than the price of a 308, so I went with that. I know that a 308 does 8 @ 30, 406 does 6 @ 40, 4010 does 10 @ 40. Also comments around the local shop were that you might not need the bank with the 4010, so maybe thats why people get those.

Anyways, thanks again for the info.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:42 AM
Regional Moderator

Theres really no need for anyone to get the 4010 unless you really need to charge 10s packs. As you mentioned, one of the main reason why anyone would use it is for the higher internal discharge, but the 4010 is a much larger and heavier charger so not really sure if there is any trade of at all. Also if they are really sponsored, they probably dont have a choice on the equipment they receive.

Some of my friends have bought the 4010 simply because its the "flagship" from icharger for a little bit more money...they treat it as "might as well", but at the end of the day if your not using the charger to its full potential is pretty much wasted IMO. Sure its there if you needed but could put the $50 or whatever the difference is in another pack of battery or a set or 2 of tires instead.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:05 AM
Tech Initiate

I have a 4010. Bought it new a few months ago and love it compared to the hitech x2 ac/dc it replaced.

I was going to get a 406 because its smaller and cheaper and run an external resistor bank for the 40a discharge. But my experienced racer friend said the 406s blow up/die more often and the 4010s seem more durable. Also when I went to order the 406s were out of stock so I ended up with a 4010 anyway.

I've only gotten 17-18a discharging on each channel with its internal resistors. I haven't combined them because Im not going to charge at more than 40a so its not worth messing with. I've had it 6 months and have been using the 18a discharge and its been great. Only now am I starting to need 40a discharge at bigger races. If I wasn't in the A main at most smaller races and in the B in bigger ones I wouldn't worry about it though. Good packs at 20a have plenty of power.

So basically 308/406 has about an 7-10a discharger and the 4010 is 18a but all are capable of 30-40 with external resistors. 4010 should be more durable but it is larger thanks to its double 18a resistor banks, and more expensive obviously. Really you can't go wrong with any of them.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:34 AM
Tech Adept

It was mentioned but slightly glossed over. Those chargers have "regenerative discharge". In Power Discharge mode, you run the charger from a rechargabale battery, typically a lead acid battery and the charger dischaarges your battery back intoo the power battery. In Channel discharge mode, you discharge from one channel into the other. The load on the discharge side can be a resistor, light bulb, or battery.

All that said, it might be simpler and less hassle to get one of those ISDT dedicated dischargers.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
It was mentioned but slightly glossed over. Those chargers have "regenerative discharge". In Power Discharge mode, you run the charger from a rechargabale battery, typically a lead acid battery and the charger dischaarges your battery back intoo the power battery. In Channel discharge mode, you discharge from one channel into the other. The load on the discharge side can be a resistor, light bulb, or battery.

All that said, it might be simpler and less hassle to get one of those ISDT dedicated dischargers.
I think once you get it set up just right, its not a big deal. But there is a learning curve to using it for sure. It doesn't only have a regenerative mode though, but maybe you weren't saying that. It does have internals that allow a discharge. You can discharge higher with the regenerative and a battery I believe or you can use a resistor bank. At the end of the day, a dedicated discharger might be easier at first, but if your using this to cycle the pack for lower IR right before your race, its pretty slick to be able to just set it up and push start, and take it off when you are done. I like how it also tells you the time it took for each cycle to complete (charge-discharge-charge).

Personally, I don't see myself right now needing that "edge". I suppose, depending on the race and how its going, I might try and use it for whatever slight gains I might see, but those times are going to be fewer and further between.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service