Performa 1/8 Motor and ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

you can run the motors on other ESC.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Cool, have yall tried their ESC, with other motors, like HW or Tekin?
Old 05-05-2019, 12:07 AM
Tech Elite

that doesn't work.

The esc can only run the motors you get with either of these 3 sets.

https://performaracing.com/eu/elektr...egler/1-8.html
Old 06-02-2019, 01:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hello Guys,
I got my Combo yesterday and looks very nice. Looks and finish are very beautiful. The Cases of Motor and ESC feel very solid and like a high quality product.
What I didn't know before was this crazy fan/ sensor port. I mean....Why?
I found a fan port at this ESC too but the manual says to use it can damage the ESC. I think there is an mistake in the manual. Why I build in a Fan-Port If I can't use it?
Do the ESC running without the fan connected into this special port ? Why Performa can't make it the same way as their new 1/10 scale esc? The easy and simple way in my opinion.
Another negative Point is the missing markings of the connectors. Yes, they are on the Board but very small and I have no chance to see them when the ESC is mounted in my Car. I little picture in the manual would help too.
I bought a HMX Combo and got no sensor wire inside. I think this is very weak for a 400€ Combo.
The tow capacitor packs could be a problem in some Cars. I like it more when the capacitors are installed inside the ESC Case. I don't like it to mount them inside the car because sometimes double side tape and head shrink tube won't work together.
In general it is very nice to see enough Caps installed to save the ESC even in hard conditions.
My last point is the switch. Yes, it is very light but it looks cheap. Why we need a switch? I think Graupner/GM and Muchmore made a better job here. At this esc you can decide if you want to use a switch yes or no.

Until now I didn't use the combo. These points are only my first impressions/thoughts when I unboxed it and installed it in my buggy. I have not even calibrate it and I'm excited to give it the first run in a few days and check out the PC-Software.

What are your thoughts about this combo?
uDi_MP7.5 likes this.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks for the honest review!
I also think it's far better to have the caps mounted directly on the ESC board, HW documents that their benefit depletes as you mount them further away from the ground / power planes on the ESC mainboard.

Hopefully it works well for you still, looks neat.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hello Guys,
I want to tell your about my first driving experience with this new Combo and continue my small review.
I used the Performa PC Software to calibrate the ESC. This works very well but the manual says you can use the Button on the ESC Switch too. The Steps are identical to a Hobbywing ESC but I didn't test it.
After that I take a look in the 4 pre-installed Profiles. They look like a very good basic. I chose the Soft- Astro. A small note: You can't change the Motor direction in the Software. It is always CCW.
I test this combo on a medium size Astro-Track in my E817 (10/43 Diff gearing). I used a Hobbywing XR8 and 4268 1900kv previously in this car but I had overheating problems.
I started with 16/48 gearing and a 4s Ultimate Shorty Lipo to be on a save side. After two rounds I changed back to 18/48. This was the same set-up as I used with the HW Combo.
The Combo feels very nice. The power delivery is very smooth but on the same way powerful. It is hard to describe but after a few rounds my feeling was extremely good. The Break Set-Up is very nice too. You can brake hard and late and the Combo still gives you a feedback that everything is save and you can push more if you want. I had no problems with blocking wheels on corner entries under braking.
After the first Battery I checked the Temps. I could easily hold my fingers on the ESC and Motor (Must be 50-55°C).Very impressive in my opinion. My XR8 Combo always stops after 9 min with temperature limit at 105°C. I didn't measure them exactly so I can't tell you if the internal Sensor are working correctly.
Second Battery was a Performa 4s HVLipo Shorty. The power increase was noticeable and I had even more fun on the long straight. Btw: I got 3 of these Performa LiPos and the internal resistance of each cell is very different. Here is definitely potential to improve the quality.
After the Second Battery I need to stop because I got some issues with my steering Servo. I think it was a problem of the receiver or the Servo. I need to check this first but I think these issues are not caused by the ESC.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I will give my best to answer them.
Matty A likes this.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TruggyStyle
Hello Guys,
I want to tell your about my first driving experience with this new Combo and continue my small review.
I used the Performa PC Software to calibrate the ESC. This works very well but the manual says you can use the Button on the ESC Switch too. The Steps are identical to a Hobbywing ESC but I didn't test it.
After that I take a look in the 4 pre-installed Profiles. They look like a very good basic. I chose the Soft- Astro. A small note: You can't change the Motor direction in the Software. It is always CCW.
I test this combo on a medium size Astro-Track in my E817 (10/43 Diff gearing). I used a Hobbywing XR8 and 4268 1900kv previously in this car but I had overheating problems.
I started with 16/48 gearing and a 4s Ultimate Shorty Lipo to be on a save side. After two rounds I changed back to 18/48. This was the same set-up as I used with the HW Combo.
The Combo feels very nice. The power delivery is very smooth but on the same way powerful. It is hard to describe but after a few rounds my feeling was extremely good. The Break Set-Up is very nice too. You can brake hard and late and the Combo still gives you a feedback that everything is save and you can push more if you want. I had no problems with blocking wheels on corner entries under braking.
After the first Battery I checked the Temps. I could easily hold my fingers on the ESC and Motor (Must be 50-55°C).Very impressive in my opinion. My XR8 Combo always stops after 9 min with temperature limit at 105°C. I didn't measure them exactly so I can't tell you if the internal Sensor are working correctly.
Second Battery was a Performa 4s HVLipo Shorty. The power increase was noticeable and I had even more fun on the long straight. Btw: I got 3 of these Performa LiPos and the internal resistance of each cell is very different. Here is definitely potential to improve the quality.
After the Second Battery I need to stop because I got some issues with my steering Servo. I think it was a problem of the receiver or the Servo. I need to check this first but I think these issues are not caused by the ESC.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I will give my best to answer them.

PM sent
Old 06-21-2019, 12:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi Guys,
only a few more Information of my Performa Combo. My steering servo issues are fixed. I think it was a wrong mounted antenna of my receiver. I relocated it and everything works fine now.
I was running 18/48 gearing and after 13 minutes I had 73°C (163°F) Motor Temperature and 57°C (134°F) ESC Temperature. Ambient temperature was 23°C (73°F). I have no cooling holes in my Body or extra Fans.
It was my second time on this medium- to high grip Astro Track and my Car and Combo worked amazing.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (99%+)

Last edited by Raul Garcia; 11-18-2021 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Could it work without sensor cable?
Old 08-19-2019, 12:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi ruleye,

No. This Combo is only sensored.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:37 AM
Tech Regular

What’s your view now? Do you prefer it to HW? The website calls out sensor cable woes and I noticed maifields most recent win with an ebuggy still had the old team Orion running.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Id say unless you are somewhere with good support, its a gamble. I am not sure what direction the Neidhard brand is taking. For me and my previous Orion experience in the US and to some extent the EU, I will stick with HW. This setup seems to be a novelty on the same level as the Maxima engines....
Old 09-25-2019, 06:15 PM
Tech Regular

I should be ok with support, I pass the Performa distributor on the way to work but TO service/support is disgraceful. I get the feeling the level of sophistication / novelty comes at a price - reliability. Sensor only, 32 bit processors, open can motor. These items all possibly come with great benefits but they also have downsides. I've seen photos of maifields / tessmans e vehicles and no sensor wire to be seen. They seem to go ok so I wonder whether these new items are really needed. I notice the HW SCT is out of stock in a few places. I get the feeling something new is due to drop with HW.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Originally Posted by Matty A
What’s your view now? Do you prefer it to HW? The website calls out sensor cable woes and I noticed maifields most recent win with an ebuggy still had the old team Orion running.

Support his horrible, I have the touch duo charger and emailed asking about software no reply. I had the older r8.1 pro which quit working after 2 runs. Luckily though Horizan was the distributor so they sent out new rx8 to replace. With this new Performa not sure who distributor is who you talk to for support. At the end of the day gibbous cheaper and probably more durable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.