Protek 625 Duo Charger

Old 07-01-2019, 11:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm in the market for a new charger, partly because I was already considering one...and partly because both of my other chargers (Traxxas ID Dual Live, & Hitec X2 AC Plus Black Edition) went "goofy" (the first died after less than 5 months use; the second (after only 3-4 months) started indicating "DC IN TEMP HI" & "EXT.TEMP TOO HI", even though nothing is connected) on me a week apart. Like others, I was initially considering the Junsi iCharger 308DUO, or 406DUO, but the price, and the fact that both require a separate power supply (thus doubling the cost), helped eliminate that idea from my mind. While the 625 can operate on AC, it does have a DC input, but I've run into a "problem". Listings for (almost) all 'quality' chargers provides all input & output-related information...but AMain/ProTek has interestingly "forgotten" to include one seriously-important piece of info - the Maximum DC Amp input. The info clearly states the charger's Maximum Amp output is 25A/channel, thus one might assume the Map input is (possibly) in the 50A-60A range...but such is not guaranteed. Without this info, it makes selecting a power supply difficult, if not impossible. Neither AMain's own website, their ProTek website, nor the user manual appears to have this much-needed info. So, does anyone know what the Maximum DC Amp input is?

Also, in regards to firmware updates, as with the Max DC Amp input, there is no info to be found. The manual says nothing about firmware updates, and the ProTek website doesn't even indicate this charger exists. Have there been any firmware updates? If so, where can they be downloaded? Also, if so, how does one install the firmware update? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Maybe some EV-Peak CD3 specs/manual will have the info you're after. I'd just get a power supply to cover the charger's maximum output, and then some. A HP 750w server power supply is a quick, easy to mod beast.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Changed my mind...decided to go ahead and get the iCharger 406DUO. I will, however, keep the ProTek 625 in my AMain cart, as I might still order one, as my "backup" charger.