Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Protek 625 Duo Charger >

Protek 625 Duo Charger

Like Tree8Likes

Protek 625 Duo Charger

Old 07-01-2019, 12:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm in the market for a new charger, partly because I was already considering one...and partly because both of my other chargers (Traxxas ID Dual Live, & Hitec X2 AC Plus Black Edition) went "goofy" (the first died after less than 5 months use; the second (after only 3-4 months) started indicating "DC IN TEMP HI" & "EXT.TEMP TOO HI", even though nothing is connected) on me a week apart. Like others, I was initially considering the Junsi iCharger 308DUO, or 406DUO, but the price, and the fact that both require a separate power supply (thus doubling the cost), helped eliminate that idea from my mind. While the 625 can operate on AC, it does have a DC input, but I've run into a "problem". Listings for (almost) all 'quality' chargers provides all input & output-related information...but AMain/ProTek has interestingly "forgotten" to include one seriously-important piece of info - the Maximum DC Amp input. The info clearly states the charger's Maximum Amp output is 25A/channel, thus one might assume the Map input is (possibly) in the 50A-60A range...but such is not guaranteed. Without this info, it makes selecting a power supply difficult, if not impossible. Neither AMain's own website, their ProTek website, nor the user manual appears to have this much-needed info. So, does anyone know what the Maximum DC Amp input is?

Also, in regards to firmware updates, as with the Max DC Amp input, there is no info to be found. The manual says nothing about firmware updates, and the ProTek website doesn't even indicate this charger exists. Have there been any firmware updates? If so, where can they be downloaded? Also, if so, how does one install the firmware update? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Maybe some EV-Peak CD3 specs/manual will have the info you're after. I'd just get a power supply to cover the charger's maximum output, and then some. A HP 750w server power supply is a quick, easy to mod beast.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Changed my mind...decided to go ahead and get the iCharger 406DUO. I will, however, keep the ProTek 625 in my AMain cart, as I might still order one, as my "backup" charger.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Anyone found a pelican type case for the charger? I got Skyrc D400 and its a similar size.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcindia View Post
Anyone found a pelican type case for the charger? I got Skyrc D400 and its a similar size.
I'm using a one off case that my wifes work didnt need anymore and it was perfect. Just needed to cut the foam and decent enough for me.

I'll post pics later today. Currently at work.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:00 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Evoking1230 View Post
I'm using a one off case that my wifes work didnt need anymore and it was perfect. Just needed to cut the foam and decent enough for me.

I'll post pics later today. Currently at work.
Thanks I found the Apache 2800 series from Harbor Freight. At $28 itís cheap and works well.

Old 01-08-2021, 02:39 PM
Tech Addict

Well, I made the mistake in opening the Pro Duo as one of my fans was making a noise. Come to find out the board is by EV-PEAK. So went to their site, and there it is

https://www.ev-peak.com/prodcuts-item/ev-peak-cd3/

Then Amazon has it on sale for $150.
So ProTek has it with a $100 markup, the only advantage you get with this is warranty through AMain for one year. I have had mine for way more than that, the actual board has a stamp on it of 2016. Maybe it is time to order a new one.

I contacted EV-Peak to see if there is a firmware update for this charger and there is not unfortunately.
I have an issue with the Reedy 2s RX Lipo packs where for some reason it will not charge or discharge correctly. i get the voltage per cell go all over the place until the charger decides to error out. I get the same issue with three different Reedy packs.
Evoking1230 and purplegrape like this.
Old 01-08-2021, 03:50 PM
Tech Adept

My thanks to OP & sebtarta!

Added this as my 3rd charger as I've needed another charger. Except with the duo function... I essentially have 4 batts that can be charged simultaneously (we have 5 drivers & 11 batts currently).

FYI, Amazon has it currently for $159.99

AND there is a $20 coupon that is applicable at checkout. Just bought it and it works.

~$150 with tax

If I purchased the wrong one, someone please tell me right away so I can cancel the order.

link:
Amazon Amazon

thank you Seb

as stated before, not having to add an additional cost power supply to go AC makes this a more realistic option financially than the iCharger Duos

Last edited by purplegrape; 01-09-2021 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:59 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by purplegrape View Post
My thanks to OP & sebtarta!

Added this as my 3rd charger as I've needed another charger. Except with the duo function... I essentially have 4 batts that can be charged simultaneously (we have 5 drivers & 11 batts currently).

FYI, Amazon has it currently for $159.99

AND there is a $20 coupon that is applicable at checkout. Just bought it and it works.

~$150 with tax

If I purchased the wrong one, someone please tell me right away so I can cancel the order.

link:
https://www.amazon.com/EV-PEAK-400W-.../dp/B01NAN7JQ0

Yup, that is the one.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I like this charger also because it can charge at a higher amp rating than other A/C chargers and I also like the DC voltage feature to power up pit accessories such as a portable soldering iron or tire warmers etc
Old 01-13-2021, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

I see there's activity on here so I'll post my almost 1 year update.

It gets used pretty heavy. Club racing, bashing, etc.

Its been pretty flawless. I have noticed however that the IR readings are off on one of the ports, even for a brand spanking new battery. Possibly the balance board. I guess we can use any balance board that supports 2s - 6s? I'll look further into it and hope its JUST the balance board.

Also good to know the "original" is on Amazon for $100 bucks less in case of anything.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

If you start looking around at some of the offerings by the ĒdiscountĒ hobby stores online, that same charger is sold as two or three different brands (Iíve seen alternate versions of their 610 model as well). Now, what might cause the different pricing? Aside from the customized appearance, certainly the guarantee, perhaps higher grade packaging, not to mention maybe a customized version of the firmware and perhaps even someone in house to update it as needed.

Iím sure the ďgenericĒ ODM versions perform similarly, but if something happens to them, you are on your own most of the time. Is that difference worth $100? Honestly, thatís an individual decision.

(Full disclosure: I own a 625 myself - no problems at all, and Iím happy with it for my needs.)
Evoking1230 likes this.

Last edited by TurnNBurn; 01-13-2021 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:41 PM
Tech Addict

I contacted EVPeak regarding the firmware update for the 625 Duo, they have been more than helpful. I have to send them some pics and then I will have more info on how to manage to update the firmware.

It all started, because the PSU fan is failing. lol
Evoking1230 likes this.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sebtarta View Post
I contacted EVPeak regarding the firmware update for the 625 Duo, they have been more than helpful. I have to send them some pics and then I will have more info on how to manage to update the firmware.

It all started, because the PSU fan is failing. lol
Nice!

Interested to know what changes are in a new version.

Keep us in the loop!
Old 01-13-2021, 02:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ive had mine for over four years since just after it came out. The only long term issue I can see is the second channel IR readout is way off compared to channel one these days but it still works and charges just fine so I just use channel one for a quick IR estimate these days. (chargers aren't very accurate at IR in general so take your readings with a grain of salt, only professional ESR analyzer-style IR meters can accurately measure IR)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.